Rating Masters by Faction

katadder

was having an interesting conversation today about top tier masters with people in my meta. they are of the opinion that Rasputina is just this side of broken and head and shoulders above the other Arcanist masters but from reading the forums its Ramos that everyone thinks is the top arcanist.

so who are your top masters per faction? and an overall top 3 in the game?

I'll take the plunge!

Considering that all Masters get their preferred opposing Faction, Strat and Scheme pool, I would rate them onto three tiers as follows. Note that these tiers are really shallow and skill trumps them almost completely.

Guild

Tier 1: Perdita, Sonnia

Tier 2: Hoffman, Lucius, McCabe

Tier 3: Lady Justice, McMourning

Arcanists

Tier 1: Colette, Ramos

Tier 2: Rasputina, Kaeris, Marcus

Tier 3: Ironsides, Mei Feng

Resurrectionists

Tier 1: Nicodem, McMourning

Tier 2: Seamus, Tara, Molly, Kirai

Tier 3: Yan Lo

Neverborn

Tier 1: Dreamer, Lilith, Collodi

Tier 2: Lucius, Pandora, Zoraida, Lynch

Outcasts

Tier 1: Leveticus

Tier 2: Victorias, Jack Daw, Tara, Hamelin

Tier 3: Von Schill, Misaki

Gremlins

Tier 1: Somer, Ophelia, Ulix

Tier 2: Wong, Zoraida, Brewmaster

Tier 3: Mah

Ten Thunders

Tier 1: Shen Long

Tier 2: McCabe, Lynch, Brewmaster,

Tier 3: Mei Feng, Misaki, Yan Lo

There were a lot Masters I might've put into neigbouring tiers but here's my attempt trying to spread them around a bit. If I was in doubt, I mostly dropped them into the lower tier just to populate them, so I must stress how shallow these are.

Feel free to disagree and discuss! :)

• Like 3

Been playing a lot of Outcasts lately.  I would rate them as:

Tier 1: Leveticus (so well rounded and always has just the right models)

Tier 2: Hamelin (activation control and flexibility), Viks (the power to wipe the table), Misaki (single target destruction, reliable blasts and card advantage (Shang))

Tier 3: Von Schill (well rounded but predictable), Tara (a lot going on yet seems like a one trick pony), Jack Daw (?)

Though I've had limited experience with Jack and Tara.

Everyone is putting lady j in the bot and i have a 0-10 record against her :P guess i need to step it up.

Last game against her she cheated out red joker on dmg against my lilith and killed her in 1 swing

I don't get what makes her worse than Lucius, either, but she is more predictable.

Everyone is putting lady j in the bot and i have a 0-10 record against her :P guess i need to step it up.

Last game against her she cheated out red joker on dmg against my lilith and killed her in 1 swing

I wish to again stress that the tiers are very shallow. A tier 3 Master against a tier 1 Master is still a tight, balanced game.

I made the listing based on three criteria:

1) Who I most like to see standing across the table.

2) Is there anyone better at doing whatever they are doing in the Faction? For example, I consider Perdita better at killing than Lady Justice and that is what LJ is mostly about. Perdita doesn't do quite as much damage but is far better at projecting it, more difficult to intercept and has other stuff going for her besides.

3) This one is the most nebulous, but who are the least needed in the Faction. I.e., if you have a limited amount of Masters, who are the least missed.

• Like 4

I wish to again stress that the tiers are very shallow. A tier 3 Master against a tier 1 Master is still a tight, balanced game.

2) Is there anyone better at doing whatever they are doing in the Faction? For example, I consider Perdita better at killing than Lady Justice and that is what LJ is mostly about. Perdita doesn't do quite as much damage but is far better at projecting it, more difficult to intercept and has other stuff going for her besides.

3) This one is the most nebulous, but who are the least needed in the Faction. I.e., if you have a limited amount of Masters, who are the least missed.

Thanks for your explanation. You make a lot of sense there.

One more criteria I would add to that list is, if there exists an easy counter to that specific master. Pandora and Hoffman are examples of masters that are very strong in the right hands, but pretty much crumble to dust against certain opponents.

any masters raspy crumbles against? trying to get this theory that raspy is overpowered out of my playgroup :D

What problems do they have against her? She was considered overpowered in my group for a while. The player dropped her for a time, and when she comes out to play these days, she is just another Master. We think it just stuck in our head that she was too strong, and we didn't even notice that we got better at the game and could counter her well.

Have you read THIS?

any masters raspy crumbles against? trying to get this theory that raspy is overpowered out of my playgroup :D

Pretty much anybody that can quickly engage Rasputina herself completely castrates her and the Arcanist game plan becomes a mad shuffle to get her out of there. Same applies to Sonnia which is the reason in my eyes she's tier 2. I've had my share of games where turn 2 she is already bogged in combat needing to get her ass saved and me constantly sending crap her way, since she ends up stuck so behind, it leaves the breathing room to my other toys to operate. Perdita and McCabe are the tier 1 Guild masters for me, Lady J and Sonnia are tier 2 and the other 3 I can't really comment since I haven't faced them in any decent form.

From my toys...

Resurrectionists

Tier 1: Nicodem, McMourning, Kirai

Tier 2: Molly, Tara, Yan Lo

Seamus I barely play so he gets left out and Yan Lo almost falls to tier 3 since he takes his time to get his mojo going. Still, when he goes ballistic is a thing of beauty. Molly could probably be tier 1 if I played her more and managed to learn how to have her be 8" from the action but not get herself killed at warp speed.

Ten Thunders

Tier 1: Lynch, Shenlong, McCabe

Tier 2: Mei Feng, Misaki, Yan Lo

Can't rate brewmaster from lack of play. Lynch even after the cuddle is still a good of death, Shenlong is always brimming with potential and McCabe's buffing is insane. Mei Feng is my go to master though, and although the poor lass tends to die on me turn 2-3, she always causes enough mayhem to more than consider her a winner (the recalled training, vaportmancy turn is murder), her eternal friendship with Toshiro also helps her case. Misaki is fine as well as a death scalpel, but I prefer Mei's "Mosh pit" style over Misaki's melee sniper feel. Yan Lo again ends dead last, but I really need to put him out more.

Not sure I've played enough with my other Masters but on the three tier system that Math is proposing I'd say for Ressers it's:

Tier One: McMourning (probably the best), Seamus, Nico

Tier Two: Yan Lo

Tier Three: Kirai

I've not included Tara or Molly yet because I don't have any experience with them.  Tara seems to fit in Outcasts better than Ressers but Molly seems pretty good.  I'd also point out that my experience of Kirai is limited to just a couple of games so she could be much better than I think (though I do find her a bit boring as I've yet to really get her going).

Yan Lo almost falls to tier 3 since he takes his time to get his mojo going. Still, when he goes ballistic is a thing of beauty.

Could you elaborate this a bit? We have been going at Yan Lo for about a week how useless he is with MD so maybe you would like to open up a bit what the hell is he supposed to do or achieve? :P 

I don't think that Raspy has anyone she crubles against like some other Masters do but Tara throwing a Fast Valedictorian in her face certainly makes her sad. Lecture Notes (though you need to cheat or stone the Crow) is Ca 7 against Wp 6 and after that she can't use her Trigger. Df 4 against Ml6 with a possible double positive to damage - Flurry and Raspy's 12 Wounds go away fast.

Tara can move a ridiculous amount in a turn and Valedictorian has a 50mm base and 3" melee. Ice Walls can naturally be used to neuter this if the terrain allows.

• Like 1

Sonnia, and that I'm sure. She has better tools and counters in that kind of game.

As I haven't seen these matches in person, I suppose also Blast and Pulse ignoring Von Schill + Counterspell Hannah, and the rest of the FKs abilities.

And ->∞ Resistance Seamus + Lures + Back Alley behind Raspy lines + .50 Flinflock often followed by placed Copycat and 2x .49.

In theory, obv.