Pulse and Arua - Model LOS

Artiee

Question

I want to make sure I did this correct.  The rulebook states that Pulse and Arua do not effect models that are not in LOS.  Does that include models being blocked by LOS?

Pandora is standing in front of  3 enemy models, all 30mm and Ht 2.  2 models are base to base and in front of the 3rd one.   Pandora Inflict will only effect the 2 Models that are base to base and not effect the 3rd one because the 2 models in front are blocking LOS?

the odd thing to me is auras and heights. a height 3 model can put its aura out to height 2 models behind other height 2 models but the reverse isnt true, can see him towering over my friends but my aura wont effect him as its height 2 and blocked by my friends.

To be fair, this was how a lot of people thought it worked for quite a while - the clarification was made fairly recently. But yeah... if you can see them, they can see you.

auras dont go up as well as out though, they just go out, same as pulses. and they can only go out from the ht of the model with said aura/pulse.

yes LOS is required for auras, but you cant increase the height they go out at which it does say in the aura rules they are the same ht as the model projecting it

Justin said that the Ht of the aura only matters for LoS and cover purposes. If two models can see each other and they are close enough from top down perspective, they are affected by auras. There is practically no way to deduce from the rules that this is the correct way to handle auras, so I think it really should be added to FAQ.
  • Like 1

is there a link to where he says this?

In THIS thread, the problem was discussed at length. Be ready, however, as there is a lengthy Godlyness vs. Myyrä dispute included which can make the head hurt, but also be entertaining.

In post #48, Justin clears it up. Cautionary disclaimer: It's not official, though, unless it's in the FAQ. (Of course, it isn't an errata, so it's actually very official if the rule book is interpreted correctly.)

A friendly tone is helpful as is page numbers in the rule book. If it was clear to him he would not have asked the question.

It's very difficult to refer to a page in the rulebook that says that models don't affect LoS differently when checking LoS for auras, because there is no such page.

You are not wrong. But. Showing the page numbers that show models block los. And then the page about auras needing los, is much more helpful then. Here is the answer because I say so.

Giving the answer with pages and references so the poster can see for themselves is much more constructive. It might be even in the "how to answer a rules question " topic.

Just some helpful advice.

Justin said that the Ht of the aura only matters for LoS and cover purposes. If two models can see each other and they are close enough from top down perspective, they are affected by auras. There is practically no way to deduce from the rules that this is the correct way to handle auras, so I think it really should be added to FAQ.

is there a link to where he says this? as auras do say they are only the ht of the model producing them.

the way you guys are saying would have benefitted me in 2 recent games so happy to use it but with nothing official its kind of hard to convince people when the rules say what they do about aura heights

In THIS thread, the problem was discussed at length. Be ready, however, as there is a lengthy Godlyness vs. Myyrä dispute included which can make the head hurt, but also be entertaining.

In post #48, Justin clears it up. Cautionary disclaimer: It's not official, though, unless it's in the FAQ. (Of course, it isn't an errata, so it's actually very official if the rule book is interpreted correctly.)

The funny thing about that conversation is that it turned out were both wrong. That is not something that happens often. I wonder why the question wasn't answered in the FAQ.

I'm also still wondering, what happens if for example Howard Langston is standing on Ht6 terrain and uses his soft cover aura. Can he actually stand above his own aura? This is not likely to ever happen in a real game, but I'm somewhat curious.

Justin mentioned it one of the AWP podcast's as well.  If my memory is correct then essentially Aura's are infinite height both up and down.  The only determining factor of Aura's is LoS which is measured from a top down perspective (the example was whether something was on top of Ht10 terrain could be caught in an aura originating from ground level which it was stated it could).

Myyrä lives in the frozen north. We should probably be glad that he doesn't end each post with "Winter is coming." Also, the harsh conditions likely prompted him to eat a rulebook once, leading to him knowing virtually everything. :D

zFiend is also from the land of Vikings, Thor and flying magical hammers... maybe that explains his unusual nature! 

zFiend is also from the land of Vikings, Thor and flying magical hammers... maybe that explains his unusual nature! 

He got a hammer to the head?

So effectively, auras and pulses go through possible meatshields in the front as long as they are in top-down range?

I'm asking for Pandora purposes since I was afraid a few Ht 3 blockers in front of nasty things would be her undoing.

What? No, they still need LoS, as said above.