Gremlins – Your Love/Hate Moments!?

bandages

As a fairly new Malifaux player I whimsically decided on Gremlins, mainly based on their Bayou aesthetic and comedic theme. Now with a few games under my belt (getting to grips with the reasonably complex synergies and shenanigans) I’ve learnt to both love them and hate them at the same time!

Love – Som’er Summoning Three Bayou Gremlins in one turn and seeing the look on the face of my opponent.

Hate – Getting a hand with no masks, or setting up the Summoning factory and failing the summons! Is ‘Get ya Bro’ too resource heavy?

Love – Trixie’s ‘Ill Omens’. Free initiative flip, aaaaahhh.

Hate – Still losing the initiative after using Ill omens.

Love – Slop haulers’ ‘Haul slop’

Hate – realising you’re out of range of 1-2 Gremlins when you set it up!

Love – The artwork for the Brewmaster set.

Hate – The fact we’re still waiting for it….

Love – Trixie’s Gremlin Lure

Hate – Failing Trixie’s Gremlin Lure. Seriously.

Love – Francios. Full stop.

Hate – Not having that last SS to afford the ‘Stilts’ upgrade.

What are your Gremlin Love/Hates?

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Brewmaster (well, 75%, the Izamu thing's not happened to me)

Love: Wong, everything about him

Love: Trixie, I know I already agreed with Brewmaster, but it bears repeating. She is the BEST henchman Gremlins have!

Love: Sammy, I'm claiming some influence on her design. When Justin was asking for ideas, I suggested a voodoo Gremlin (to summon undead Gremlins)

Hate: That my suggestion for 2x 0SS upgrades for Taxidermists weren't taken on board. 1 upgrade to make him more a backfiels summoner, other upgrade to make him more frontline. As it is, they seem like they've got a foot in each camp and therefore both feet firmly planted in my figure case.
Hate: That there's no news on the Brewmaster. He's late, fair enough, but tell us why, give us an eta, anything!

Hate: The triple cuddle for Wong/Pigapult/Stuffed Piglets during the beta. A Glowy pigapult firing Stuffed piglets at Sh 6 and being able to cheat damage was too much. Take away 1, maybe 2 but to hit all 3 seems like overcompensation (not that I know anything about that subject, honest!)  ;)

Hate: Moon Shinobi: The concept is amazing! How they turned out in game, meh! They'll be keeping the Taxidermist company

Love: Wong and everything about him

Love: The combination of "that shouldn't work" abilities with "holy crap, that works?!" abilities

Love: The sense of humor that lulls your enemies into a feeling of safety before you utterly destroy them

Hate: We seem to be last in line when it comes to new models...likely because our models are smaller than everybody else's and harder get right, but still...sucks

Edit: I'd like to go on record that Malal and I posted at exactly the same time, and did not collude as to our first entry. ;)

Hate: The triple Cuddle for Wong/Pigapult/Stuffed Piglets during the beta. A Glowy pigapult firing Stuffed piglets at Sh 6 and being able to cheat damage was too much. Take away 1, maybe 2 but to hit all 3 seems like overcompensation (not that I know anything about that subject, honest!)   ;)

Do you really consider Pigapult underpowered now? It seems really good to me, a strong attack, incredible utility with Launch'n and kind of hard to get rid off.

Do you really consider Pigapult underpowered now? It seems really good to me, a strong attack, incredible utility with Launch'n and kind of hard to get rid off.

Assuming you're wanting it to fire for 5 turns, that's essentially an 18SS model at Sh 5 that can't cheat damage or a 28SS model at Sh 6.

Yes, there's some uses for it but I find if I want to use it, I have to build the list around it

Would you consider it overpowered if it was Sh 6 but couldn't cheat damage or Sh 5 but could cheat damage?

Assuming you're wanting it to fire for 5 turns, that's essentially an 18SS model at Sh 5 that can't cheat damage or a 28SS model at Sh 6.

Yes, there's some uses for it but I find if I want to use it, I have to build the list around it

Would you consider it overpowered if it was Sh 6 but couldn't cheat damage or Sh 5 but could cheat damage?

I'd expect players to use Launch'n on at least one turn. Granted that kind of mobility can be more or less valuable depending on strat/schemes.

Btw, The Sow gives 3 bacon loads for 8 since Farrowing works on sacrificed.

It was cuddled and I think it's still top tier now, so it could have done with some more. :P

I'd expect players to use Launch'n on at least one turn. Granted that kind of mobility can be more or less valuable depending on strat/schemes.

Btw, The Sow gives 3 bacon loads for 8 since Farrowing works on sacrificed.

It was cuddled and I think it's still top tier now, so it could have done with some more. :P

True, but unless you're Launch'n with all 3ap, you're still gonna have to fry some bacon.

Yep, but that's what I mean about building your list around the 'pult. 

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks I guess. I seem to be the only person that thinks Slop Haulers are over-rated too so maybe I'm just wyrd  ;)

Well the art looks absolutely horrible.

I, on the other hand, think that it's the best thing that ever happend to Malifaux.

He is luchador and he looks like one. I suppose. All I know about luchadors comes from Nacho Libre. Gremlin beating people with another gremlin. What more can you ask for?

If you could influence his concept art, what would you change?

If you could influence his concept art, what would you change?

Everything, 

Remove the luchador theme completely, give him a new name and if he must be a grappler make him a grappler that uses a functional grappling art like C.a.C.C or some other style of combat which would directly relate to the hicks-ville/ hills-have-eyes theme of the Gremlin faction.

Alternatively if he must be a luchador I would have liked him image wise to work well with Ophelias crew, but I suppose that's what conversions are for, especially as he will likely be in the Wong Box so I will end up with him, he also seems like he might upset people if you take him with zoraida (nurses) or the brew master.

• Like 1

I feel like the real theme of Gremlins is humor.

I like when models have strong and distinctive theme, which the luchador one definitely is. Also... the feature that you want the model to depict is not the Grapple Ability but rather the  Whacked with the Gremlin.

I am looking forward to painting his outfit like Jack Black's in Nacho Libre:

16823729-16823731-large.jpg

According to pullmyfinger.com (and recent thread Mancha Roja Killing Stuff Without Much Fuss http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/104883-mancha-roja-killing-stuff-without-much-fuss/) Zoraida and Brew Master are really scary. Not only they can Paralyze targets (Zoraida via Nurse as you mentioned) but they can also Obey Mancha Roja himself into postition for his Rebound Ability to give him 12" Cg.

Another models mentioned were Ophelia (via My Threatening Gun Upgrade), The Sow [Terryfying (All) 12 Ability] and Bayou Gator (Held Under Trigger on Drag Under Attack Action).

Love: Sammy, I'm claiming some influence on her design. When Justin was asking for ideas, I suggested a voodoo Gremlin (to summon undead Gremlins)

Going to have to disagree with you here, requests for Sammy's design have been around for a fairly long time (since around Rising Powers). Requests for him have appeared virtually every play test cycle.

Glad to finally see him playable though.

Also I cant agree with Vorschlag more. I completely hate Mancha Roja, one of the first Gremlin's I can say that about.