Ressers- Am I shooting myself in the foot by not playing full faction?

doctorlucky

I really enjoy the ressers- but I'm just not that drawn to the Asian motif crews. I like Yan Lo and Kirai but I don't really have a desire to play them or their models. I 'm more drawn to the other genres that Malifaux offers. Looking at some of the models I'm not really drawn to, they have neat stuff, but nothing I really must have. Don't get me wrong- the art is beautiful, the style is cool, but it doesn't get me excited to play it as much as Seamus's style or McMourning's.

So am I hurting myself by not having these choices when picking my crew for schemes and strats, or is this OK? Thoughts?

Nope, it's fine. You said it yourself - "they have neat stuff, but nothing I really must have". As long as you've got the tools you need (and there's a lot of different approaches to every situation in every Faction, none of which is 'best') then there's no reason to acquire everything. There's nothing that Yan Lo, Kirai, or any other model can do that can't be achieved just as well by a different model in a different way.

Eventually you might identify a set of circumstances in which you think "This is okay, but I'd be better off with some of Yan Lo or Kirai's thematic options." If that thought comes up often, start considering expanding your collection in that direction.

The remaining five Resser Masters are more than enough to handle any Strategy/Scheme combination.

The only thing sorta missing is that the amount of Incorporeal that a Kirai crew offers can be insanely powerful in supremely densely packed tables (like an indoor setting). But if you don't play on such tables, I don't think that you're really missing anything.

In general I think you are handicapping yourself if you only have one (and maybe in some cases two masters from a faction) as most masters have some blind spot. This is reinforced in causal play where your opponent knows what models you have, e.g. if you declaring ressers always means Kirai your opponent can build against you.

I think you should be ok with two masters in most cases though (you are probably more predictable with two melee beatstick masters than if you have two support masters or two masters with completely different roles), with more than two you are definitely ok.

Molly's crew isn't out I plastic yet is it? I'll look into her spirit side too though, thank you.

No, it isn't. Kirai's is just being released (and we still haven't even seen some of the core models like Datsue Ba, Shikome, or Gaki).

Oh, and then there is Tara. She doesn't have specific synergies with any models (outside of her Void critters) but rather her Bury and Fast mechanics help all, so you could add her to your list of Masters without adding any Zombies if you liked (well, if you don't consider her a zombie). Of course her crew box was Nightmare edition and the regular one isn't out yet (thought there is a chance that they might sell the Nightmare version during the Black Friday sale).

Doctorlucky - sorry, your threads getting well and truely hijacked now (don't tell the mods)! Still young, why don't you play Ten Thunders instead of ressers if 80% of the resser masters don't appeal? That way you still have access to Yan Lo and a whole stack of Asian-themed undead and monsters but you're not artificially handicapping yourself?

Stricly speaking, yes, not playing the full faction is going to be less powerful than playing the full faction. But Practiacally, thats probably not true.

Playing a smaller subset will allow you more practise with that subset, and you will do better with models that you know and unserstand than you would with slightly better models that you don't really know.

Access to a couple of Masters in the faction, and 100 or so SS of models to select from and you are probably going to have the tools availble to do the job. Other tools might do the job differentlty, and possibly better, but the as Saying goes, " when you have a hammer in your hand, all problems look nail shaped".

There is no 1 model that is vital to own. Take scheme running, the faction has access to necropunks, Cruligans, Canine remains to name but 3. Each does the job a little bit differently, but they can all do the job you need. Some do bits better than otehrs, but are less good else where.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this much. And jimbonovalsocks, it's mainly Kirai and her ghosts that appeal to me, but yeah I'll look into TT. It's not that the others don't appeal at all, it's just... Zombies are everywhere, it's just a bit dull and tired, personally.

please-tell-me-e4xhns.jpg

No, really, I find the zombies in Malifaux to be quite refreshing.

I am thinking of taking my Tara horror base and having Molly on the side, who does not like undead ladies of the night and creepy undead monstrosities. I also LOVE Yin and Rouge Necromancy.

I find a few of the zombies some what dull, like the flesh construct.

If you are limiting yourself to 2 masters I recommend looking for 2 that play differently.