I thought it sounded appropriate!

What are you working on next, more Arcanists?

I'm going to finish up the Rasputina box. I've got December Acolytes to do. Last year's translucent pink Dreamer crew to finish up. Should have a complete Dark Carnival and Hamelin crews to work on by then.

That's not counting my wife's Lilith crew I've been prepping and have to sculpt bases for, or my daughter's Lady J box which just needs priming and then I can help her paint it - she's 11 and very artistic, I just need to not be so OCD and let her do her thing

• Like 1

Your work is amazing.  I know what you  mean about Orc...My current army includes 90 Gretchen and around 100 Boyz.  About half are painted.  Really looking forward to a smaller skirmish game and being able to focus on quality over quantity.  And I am excited about the amount of terrain I get to create and paint as well.  Have the starter set ordered.  Not sure where I am going after that as far as crews go...probably Resurrectionist or Arcanist.  Anyway keep the pictures coming.  Your work is very inspiring.

RL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm trying to finish up my Translucent Pink Hide & Seek set from last year to ideally have it playable by the weekend.

Here's Lord Chompy Bits waiting to be assembled while the internal stuff is drying:

image_zpsirokessk.jpeg

RAWR!

image_zpsdzdyprwa.jpeg

The top and bottom halves of LCB are still separate while I wait for the skin texture to firm up.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I decided I'd paint up a dried teabag as a Stitched Together proxy for Malifaux, since the metal ones are no longer available and the official plastic ones won't be out for a while.

I was trying to think of an appropriately-sized proxy for a canvas/leather sack full of gore, and my wife was generous enough to "donate" a used teabag.

I'm still undecided as to which side to use as the front and which as the back, and it was suggested to add tiny googly eyes. I'm thinking the side without the tag would be best, so that probably would be the front.

I adjusted the label to take into account the date, which in the Malifaux game would be 1906 (200 years, not 300 years!) and that works out perfectly!.

I compared my Stitched Together proxy on a 30mm base to The Dreamer and it seems the appropriate height.

Suggestions or feedback appreciated!

IMG_2545.thumb.JPG.0c36ccdbf4992c43446ea9f515c3e3f8.JPG

IMG_2544.thumb.JPG.e989b7a18fd1181f419d2925d78d1ddf.JPG

Edited by Tinweasel
Replacing dead links with live pics
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On January 18, 2016 at 0:30 PM, thewartoad said:

Love the Ice Golem Tinweasel! What are you using for the container w/ the paints in it? How much water? and what's the paper or other being used for the paints not to dry up?

Thanks! I'm assuming you're referring back to this picture here:

IMG_1087_zps18cdcd4f.jpg

On the right is a standard plastic Daisy wheel well palette - this is what I actually used when painting the Ice Golem since most of the work was painting glazes over initially the white primer, and then transitioning from one color to another. I followed a general color progression so I could repeat it later with the Gamin from the set.

For basic layers, I generally painted with 1 part paint to 4-6 parts thinner. For shading, it was more like 1 part color to 8 parts thinner. Highlights I tightened back up again with maybe 1 part paint to 3-4 parts thinner, depending on translucency. The stuff I wanted really solid coverage on, like his eyes and topmost edge highlights: those were more like 1:1 or 1:2 paint/thinner at most. 

On the left is a homemade wet palette, which I didn't really use for this project much but copied the colors over for sale of working back up any areas that needed neatening.

It's an airtight resealable Rubbermaid container with a cut-down mildew-resistant sponge in the bottom.  The paper is parchment paper (got a full roll from Costco wholesale) with the absorptive side down in order to wick water upward. Beneath that (now) I use a layer of paper towel to smooth out the surface. Inside is enough distilled water to saturate the sponge and keep the paints moist.

I've found that I can keep colors usable for several days, with diluted colors usable for up to a week untouched.

Hope that answers your questions?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize it's been a while since I last posted an update in my thread here. I've still been painting here and there, but not been able to get a game of Malifaux in since January or thereabouts. Motivation to paint to get stuff done and on the table has therefore been a little lacking.

I just finished up this guy yesterday and got pictures of him last night - I painted him up for an Off-Hand Painting Challenge in a Facebook group I belong to, so he was painted using my non-primary hand in support of a FB painter friend who had surgery on her painting hand. He's a Wyrd Puppet Cherub that I plan on using as a Neverborn Wicked Doll proxy.

20211001_232229_remastered.thumb.jpg.24625afb3d06c34e72957d7ef74f62ee.jpg20211001_232247_remastered.thumb.jpg.cfcfe559fdd35fd2525eabca8d2caa54.jpg20211001_232304_remastered_remastered.thumb.jpg.b52a3565a71cbe36f1475bf5a846c15e.jpg20211001_232318_remastered.thumb.jpg.f8b28168e6ca7e9d34ad7603a9a736d7.jpg

Comments, critique, and suggestions welcome!

Edited by Tinweasel
Replaced pics from defunct website
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Tawg said:

That is pretty impressive for non-dominant hand.

I would think writing would be enough of a challenge, I don't even what to know what my left hand produces with a brush.  :mellow:

Thanks!

I kinda "cheated" going in, knowing that I'm not so precise - esp. since I was born partially missing fingers on my right hand.

I started out with my lightest color and shaded down wherever possible. All my highlights were done with either washes over a light color with the side of my brush point. Not really a big difference from my usual painting, other than having to compensate.

I was surprised to find that my paint skills stayed the same, it was just accuracy and stability that weren't so good to start - but got better as I went. I think I prefer my non-dominant hand for drybrushing, it's actually more "careful".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been working on more stuff off-and-on and have made decent progress on my first Insidious Madness. I'm painting it in a monochromatic style for a #MonochromeMadness painting challenge elsewhere and am looking for feedback, please.

I've never painted anything monochrome before, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I have my primary color (Citadel Enchanted Blue) on a wet palette and a range of grey mixtures from Black to pure White, and I'm pushing them around as needed.

blue_madness_wip4.jpgblue_madness_wip5.jpgblue_madness_wip6.jpgblue_madness_wip7.jpg

Comments and suggestions for improving this guy much appreciated, please? (I really don't care if someone considers themselves a "good painter" or not, any feedback is good feedback IMO.)

• Like 3

On 4/16/2016 at 7:31 PM, Tawg said:

That is pretty impressive for non-dominant hand.

I would think writing would be enough of a challenge, I don't even what to know what my left hand produces with a brush.

Yeah, that was kinda the point. To see what would happen.

Now I'm painting a figure using entirely shades of one color from black all the way up to white. All these "challenges" are helping me to actually paint!

• Like 2

Hi there, I really like that monochromatic madness!

what I'd do is this:
-enhance the contrast between the scithy claw and the the arm it's attached to, and do the same thing on the other spikes it has all over it's body. I really like the result you achieved with the teeth, they stand out really well

-paint a nice contrasting base (dark warm colors maybe?) 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I finished the Nightmare Edition of Teddy several years ago for entry into a local competition. I really like the way the texture of his fabric came out - I had pictured in my mind the "skin horse" from The Velveteen Rabbit while I was working him up - in that I wasn't necessarily aiming for soft, fuzzy cloth, but rather something more like leather. It's the first time I used Scale75 paints - I used the majority of the colors from their Black & White set. What do you think?

I ran out of time, which is why not all the plain patches don't have patterns. The surgical green one on his shoulder is actually a test of the chem-resistant material color I'm painting on my Shriven Chaos Cultists/Renegade Guardsmen 40K army. The others, though, I have no excuse.

Comments, critiques, and suggestions welcome!

20211003_220613_remastered.thumb.jpg.e26d8a64ec30f8d17774a0bb01304841.jpg20211003_220720_remastered_remastered.thumb.jpg.e8a59f8da7c66f6edd1a4f70707da006.jpg20211003_221010_remastered.thumb.jpg.c49f39936dee4c4942243af9237a8813.jpg20211003_221217_remastered.thumb.jpg.bd26aa2a784360bf8c83f6aa134658dd.jpg20211003_221244_remastered.thumb.jpg.c83a4f406f609f7c1a98473992e9b933.jpg20211003_221329_remastered.thumb.jpg.018e5a4430130d6ebc4e830e51e63079.jpg

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 7

The work on textures is absolutely fantastic and the patterns look amazing! Really superb work! Are you going to go back to it to finish the patterning? The red patch could really use something, I feel, as it's so prominent.

Love the subtle colour variations in the shadows with red and green hues all over the place!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

The work on textures is absolutely fantastic and the patterns look amazing! Really superb work! Are you going to go back to it to finish the patterning? The red patch could really use something, I feel, as it's so prominent.

Love the subtle colour variations in the shadows with red and green hues all over the place!

Wow, thank you so much! I might go back to it, but I honestly have no idea what I'd put on the red patch - or the purple for that matter. If I could come up with a good idea, maybe I'd go back and add it.

As for the shadows - thanks! This guy was a first attempt at using Scale 75's Black & White color set and I got as far as halfway through when I fell in love with the blue-tinted brown shade. The rest of the shading is probably VMC Russian Uniform and a VGC Charred Brown/Black mixture as I really like both of those for flesh tones and shadows.