How is Gremlin Zoraida doing?

Vermicious Knid

So I love the models and theme of Zoraida, but am not much of a Neverborn fan outside of Collodi. Gremlins seem like a pretty cool and fun faction to run - as well as being not terribly "graphic" outside of silly potty humor (my good friend who games is letting his 10 year old son learn some gaming stuff, so I am trying to avoid the gruesome and/or sexualized Malifaux stuff).

So anyhow, I was thinking of grabbing a Zoraida box, and then pick up some of the other Gremlin stuff and checking out how they work. Out of curiosity, have folks been having any success running Zoraida along with Gremlins? Or is Neverborn going to be pretty much the better option for her?

Definitely battles Some for the top spot as the most flexible master in the faction...there's an image you didn't need.

She goes awfully well with piggies, has the benefit of the vodoo doll and Nurse combination for easy paralyze's  and can always go down the swamp fiend track made even more interesting if you want to get McTavish.

I've read a few people comment on her being weak, perhaps it's the fact that my gaming group are fluff gamers rather than power gamers but I can't say I've seen it.

Grem-raida is (in my opinion) in the top 3 of Gremlin masters because of her awesomeness at 'Location Control' strategies and schemes. Grem-raida is also what I'd call the Trick Shot master. With Waldegeists, Nurses, Iggy, Bad Juju, Swamp Mother and Gupps, Kenku and the Generic Ten Thunders totem that I'm blanking on, you have some completely crazy pieces that can help you complete what you need to in unexpected ways. I'm STILL fond of the combo of Nurse and Lenny for practically guaranted Bodyguard points.

TL/DR: Grem-raida thrives from thinking outside the box and "ZOMG HAX" thinking.

• Like 2

I'm STILL fond of the combo of Nurse and Lenny for practically guaranted Bodyguard points.

How does this work? I mean, I realize that a Nurse can heal Lenny without paralyzing him but Lenny isn't very durable at all IME unless you keep him well in the back and it seems like a really expensive combo for Zoraida to keep solely in the back? Unless you really load up on Bayou Gremlins and Rami and such, I guess but I'm not sure that is the usual way of playing Zoraida.

Lenny has low Df (and ridiculously low Wp) and only HtW to help him. Sure, he has a nice amount of Wd but goes down fast when concentrated on by even two moderately heavy hitters. He is also really expensive and mostly worth it for his Auras and in order to utilize them, he needs to be in the thick of it.

That Katamari Damacy stuff...

DANGIT Bobby! They changes those in the final cards... Nevermind what I said, nothing to see here ^_^

Nurse and Lenny

10 wounds, HtW, Immune to Conditions, and SUPER useful support piece makes the cost worth it for my playstyle. I'm cool with the opponent focusing his heavys towards Lenny because that's heavys that AREN'T squishing my more squishable guys. 15 points for a Tarpit that also provides moves for my guys, helpful auras for my guys, and a solid attack option for the Voodoo Doll seems worth it.

Grem-raida hits the board when I need location control; Lenny can push my Gremlins where I need them, Zoraida can Obey anyone where I want them, the Nurse/Voodoo can prevent a person from moving, Lenny the tarpit buys me time to keep someone from moving.

We've been toying with the idea of running Zoraida with Killjoy and Bad Juju both buried, and then using Wild Boars to charge into the enemy deployment zone and either pin them there or have the boars die and up comes Killjoy and Juju.  Then you use Zoraida to accomplish schemes and strategies while almost all of your force is murdering the enemy in their deployment zone.

A couple Bayou Gremlins to help Zoraida with schemes is good too.

~J Rzasa

• Like 1

We've been toying with the idea of running Zoraida with Killjoy and Bad Juju both buried, and then using Wild Boars to charge into the enemy deployment zone and either pin them there or have the boars die and up comes Killjoy and Juju.  Then you use Zoraida to accomplish schemes and strategies while almost all of your force is murdering the enemy in their deployment zone.

A couple Bayou Gremlins to help Zoraida with schemes is good too.

~J Rzasa

Its an interesting gamble, but you have half the crew not on the table. All you need is your boars to be given slow, or paralysed, and you are unable to put any pressure on the opponent.

They could also deploy in several groups, and as long atthe group the boar is engaged with is less than the cost of the boar and Juju and Killjoy, theyr'e on the plus.

And isn't Eternal fiend neverborn only? no way to unbury Juju in a gremlin list.

That's a good point.  I had assumed in my head that if you were allowed to take Juju with the upgrade Zoraida has, you'd also have access to his upgrades.  But you probably don't when you use him in a Gremlin Warband.

It is a big gamble.  A huge one.  But if you can catch someone napping it might be a really nasty surprise.  Might be worth trying with Killjoy alone, but then it isn't Zoraida specific.

~J

• 1 month later...