Leave it to Luck and low Tomes / high Masks

Matney X

Question

Last night, during a game, we ran into a problem...  Tannen had cast Leave it to Luck, followed by Kang flipping a 2 of Tomes for damage.  Because of LITL, the 2 of Tomes is effectively the 0 of Tomes.

The problem is that there isn't a damage rule for card values less than 1 or greater than 13 (a 12 of Masks would have been a 14), and 0 damage is only listed under the Black Joker, specifically.

We ruled that the 0 was Weak, because 0 damage is only specific to the Black Joker, which this wasn't.

So, is the 0 of Tomes 0 damage, or Weak damage?  Is the 14 of Masks Severe damage, or Severe+Weak?

25 answers to this question

It does offer viable arguments on lots of different fronts. I use the classic fate decks which have Weak, Moderate and Severe printed on them and seeing as the numerical value isn't really all that important when determining damage I'd just stick with what is printed on my cards under these circumstances. Personally I'd consider it weak Damage but this definitely needs to be brought up on the next FAQ / Errata

• Like 1

One might make an argument that card's values are clamped at a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 13 based on the rule that defines cards. An Ace with a -2 does not go below 1, as 1 is the minimum value.

(Note that Jokers have a seperate rule to define their value).

This would, of course, prevent Teddy summoning as well.

I am not in favor of this interpretation, but that is the only rule I see that describes values of cards. (And frankly, I'm not in favor of that interpretation because I LOVE to summon some Teddy cuddling!!)

<edit> Beating this up some more, the rules for Values of Cards say:

Value
The value of a card ranges from 1 to 13. A card’s value
is often added to a model’s Stat when determining the
results of a flip to resolve Actions. When
the rules refer specifically to a Fate Deck card's value
they are referring to the printed number on the Fate
Deck card.

The only rules for Modifiers specify modifiers to a Stat or a Duel Total:

Stat Modifiers
These are the simplest way to modify a Duel or flip.
Stat modifiers are presented as a bonus or penalty
to a Stat under certain conditions. For instance, a
model might gain +2 to his Sh on any attack against a
target within 6”. In these cases, the Sh of the model
is increased accordingly, but only for the purposes of
resolving the Duel.
Alternatively, the model might receive a bonus to the
total, rather than the Stat. In these cases, simply add the
bonus to the total whenever it is calculated

Then a bit more, under the Math callout box:

Minimum Values
All stats, other than Wounds, have a minimum
value of 1, regardless of how many modifiers
are applied to the stat. Models with a value of
"—" in a Stat do not have the noted Stat, and it
may not be modified.

While none of the above really directly apply (would be great if this were covered in errata/faq), this is just stuff that I found almost kinda-sorta applied: food for thought, if you will.

It does offer viable arguments on lots of different fronts. I use the classic fate decks which have Weak, Moderate and Severe printed on them and seeing as the numerical value isn't really all that important when determining damage I'd just stick with what is printed on my cards under these circumstances. Personally I'd consider it weak Damage but this definitely needs to be brought up on the next FAQ / Errata

Do you not allow him to change between levels, e.g. 6  :tome becoming Weak damage?

Do you not allow him to change between levels, e.g. 6  :tome becoming Weak damage?

To be honest that particular scenario has never really come up as I rarely use the action to begin with. I guess in those circumstances where the numerical value of the card is dropped to an already established category then yeah it would make sense to demote the moderate to a weak but when you are looking at an Ace or 2 becoming effectively 0 or -1 it seems simpler to just say yeah... "Weak. Lets get on with our game" rather than rule lawyering the hell out of it. 

• Like 1

Yes but this can become particularly troublesome when in multiple LITL auras.

Who else other than Tannen has Leave it to Luck? I know there are other models who might be able copy actions but most can't copy a (0). Hannah can't unless you're Freikorps and if memory serves the Doppelganger can only copy (1) Actions. 

In that instance -- Lightning bugs, Doppelgangers, etc (or a mirror match, each consisting of Tannen and a Doppelganger) -- does LITL stack? Because that mirror match opens up +/- 8, and the Dreamer summoning a Teddy becomes A LOT easier to pull off (even in a single crew, that's a Teddy on an 11 or 12).

+/- 14?  At 5 SS each, you can hire 10 Lightning Bugs in a 50 SS game.  I don't know WHY you'd do it, except for +/- 20 is insane.

(I don't have my book or cards on me, so my pricing / rare limit could be off)

You got the price and the rarity right, but forgot that there can be lightning bugs on both sides! +/-40 sounds even more insane.