Wave 2 Generic Upgrades

4thstringer

Yeah, I'm keen to see if Expert Sleuth will work on an Executioner in a Scheme marker-heavy Scheme pool better than a Lead Lined Coat.

Seems like it could be a nice way of getting him into melee in a timely fashion if you're planning on dropping markers around early on. And if you want to use trail of gore after you can still use it for the initative thing. Sounds cool.

Does it give you a positive twist to initiative or a reflip? Seems pretty good either way since it's rare I have a game where I don't spend at least a stone on a re-flip.

Can you take 3 experts sluths and then discard them all on one turn for plus six? I can think quite a few games where a near certainty of going first would be grand.

I really don't see why not. Plus, if you bring along Sidir with Promises they can benefit from some sweet :+fate  flips until they do as well.

I look at our generic upgrades, then look at Imbued Energies and Oathkeeper and get incredibly sad. Expert Sleuth looks like a great movement trick against a scheme heavy crew, though. I've tried putting it on some of the slower melee brutes like the Executioner to some success.

Played in a tournament this weekend and I tried Dampening Field this weekend against a Ramos Crew, it didnt do anything. I thought it might see some use with negating steam cloud and bleeding edge tech but the range of it really impacted its usefullness in this particular game. I think its potentially situationally awesome tho.

Regarding Expert Sleuth, I didnt take it but i looked for situations that i might want it and sadly i can report that In all the games the (0) action part would of been useless and i think paying 1SS for +2 to one flip is incredibly poor value especially when compared to say Seize the Day (which is amazing btw) Again the range is often not enough, a push is easily stoped by intervening terrain/models and it competes with really good (0) actions on a lot of models. 

I look at our generic upgrades, then look at Imbued Energies and Oathkeeper and get incredibly sad. Expert Sleuth looks like a great movement trick against a scheme heavy crew, though. I've tried putting it on some of the slower melee brutes like the Executioner to some success.

I know what you mean... you should check how your opponents feel about Plant Evidence though, they may feel similarly.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it, the more I actually like Dampening Field a lot.  Its not a ranged attack, and it has no casting value or resist.   So as long as you can see your target, you can basically say no  :pulse or  :aura .  No resist, no nothing, just sight and range.

Sebastian, a well placed model with Black Blood, Montressor, Hanna or Librarians, Papa Loco, the Mechanical Attendant, the Steam Trunk, Dashell, anything that explodes on death, Howard Langston, Snowstorm, TANNEN, anybody with Chatty, Barbaros or Mancha Roja, Candy, the list goes on.  There are a lot of nasty  :pulse and  :aura  effects and being able to shut one of them down almost guarenteed is really nice.  Especially for Henchmen or Master's who don't have a good (0) action, like Guild Sebastian or Sam Hopkins.

• Like 2

I don't really mind that, I often want to activate my master early after the first couple of turns anyway. What makes it more difficult to evaluate is that a lot of potential holders either don't want to get near enough to use it (Sonnia, Dashel) or have other (0) actions they'd like to use (Lady J, Fransisco, etc.).

Still, there's a hell of a lot of synergies out there that rely on  :aura,  so I'm keen to try find a place for it.