What is going on with Malifaux? Stagnant in my area....

mbowsher76

So this seems to happen every year. Leading up to Gencon is a lot of excitement about a new book and new models. Last year that was mostly centered around Malifaux 2E. Then, like previous years, things quiet down until the next Gencon gets close. This previous year we had the Wave 2 Beta that kept excitement going for a while, but that got very bogged down. Now we are a couple weeks from Gencon and there is very little news or anything to generate excitement like the years previous.

I hate to be a naysayer, but I am really concerned with how things are going. I LOVE Malifaux and Wyrd Games, they are a fantastic company, but the lack of any real or steady updates always raises a red flag for me.

In my area this game was going STRONG up until early spring this year...the Wave 2 playtest being extended has killed a lot of the enthusiasim of players that want to use models they own, but can't really without using printouts and such. Many have Avatars they want to use, and can't because final rules haven't been released. And there is a ton of unreleased stuff, but most of it is plastic resculpts of existing models...there isn't much NEW on the horizon. The game has just become stagnant and many new games have pushed it aside in the local meta.

As a fan of the game, I have to ask. What is going on? There hasn't been much of an official Wyrd announcement in months. No new release schedule, nothing major annouced for Gencon...I have been concerned before when things got really quiet, but as I said, things got exciting with releases for Gencon announced and the excitement that built...but as far as I have seen...there really isn't anything announced as forthing coming at Gencon or beyond.....what is happening to this game?

Wyrd never announces stuff that will be for sale at gencon anymore until they are 100% sure it  will really be able to be there. This is not a new or worrying thing.

As for new stuff, there's a pile of new masters (bring on IRONSIDES) as well a scattering of new models outside of the crew boxes. But with essentially the entire back catalog ACTING as new models for the purposes of testing and designing for plastic, I suppose there hasn't been a lot of wiggle room to add that much more without making Devs cry tears of blood trying to balance it all.

As for the Wave 3 split. We needed. Oh god, I had been doing nothing but play Malifaux and post bat reps for over a year. We were burned out. We didnt want to do it anymore. That is not a good testing environment, so we take a break, we get our shiny new Arsenal decks at Gencon (assumedly, since the book is coming out then) and then yes, I will want to figure out how to make Avatars work along with everyone else again.

The whole switchover has been/is tough, but we've been getting monthly FAQ/Errata updates from Justin, we get new releases (when they arent delayed by evil happenstance) I wouldnt call it no updates. I would call it sticking to Wyrd's normal policy of "we'll tell you when theres a change" for better or worse.

Malifaux has been picking up steam here in Toronto and I am still trying to figure the new and interesting combos I think I can wring out of 2nd edition.

• Like 1

See, I have not even heard anything of a wave 2 book/arsenal deck being released at Gencon. And I have been playing Malifaux for almost 5 years, since the first book released at Gencon and yes, they have announced most releases at Gencon by the time. This concerns me because this is the longest I can remember them going without really announcing much for Gencon. The Wyrd at Gencon thread has been up for a couple months and really doesn't have much in the way of an offical update to it since it was posted.

I fully understand Wyrd is a small company and things happen. I am just curious as to the state of things, as it seems MUCH more quiet than normal.

Last year they announced in August did they not?

And Eric was teasing pictures and length of the new rule book on his twitter, which suggests if they have a final page count, that its going to be at Gencon. And if they have art and rules finished, it would stand to reason arsenal decks will be there too.

Well that is exciting. I hadn't heard a thing about it, of course I don't follow twitter anyway, so I missed out. Does the second book have a name and do we expect some new things for each faction similar to book 1?

What Rancor709 said. 

Plus, the cover is pretty.

Here's a sample of one of the scenarios that's been released.  Maybe it'll help to get your game group excited.  :)

Sometimes I forget that Australia's a goddamn continent. You see it on maps and it looks like this cute little island in the corner of the world. You think, awe it wants to sit at the grownup table. You forget that the place is big enough to swallow a decent chunk of Europe, the states, whatever, and filled with things that are probably trying to kill you while I'm lost in thoughts like this.

Sometimes I forget that Australia's a goddamn continent. You see it on maps and it looks like this cute little island in the corner of the world. You think, awe it wants to sit at the grownup table. You forget that the place is big enough to swallow a decent chunk of Europe, the states, whatever, and filled with things that are probably trying to kill you while I'm lost in thoughts like this.

Actually ALL of Europe fits comfortably inside Australia. As does the States.