New Art on Twitter

Dirial

If you image google "malifaux shenlong" one of the early pictures is a dude cutting into his stomach and holding up a bloody heart (I think), who is that then? There is a lady running with scissors behind him so I guess it could have something do with Kirai.

That would probably be Kirai and the Lost Love.

If you mean this, then it's Kirai:

The Ikiryo in the background was seen as a render, too.

Yeah, that's the one. When I first saw it in a search for Shenlong I just assumed he was some blood magic dude or something, I hadn't bothered to read his card (which I now see has a misspelling on it :P ).

So the head things on the sides are Seishin then? It would be hilarious if that was her box, you would get a total of 4 SS worth of models in it. :)

I love this model for a ton of reasons. 

The clothes, the cannon arm thing, the horse, the complete Pulp-Horror look... it's amazing. 

What I don't like is the fact that it's a guild model because it means I'll buy it and have to buy a crew to go with it. 

Very nice.  So to align them with the classic 4 horesmen...  he's Pestilence, Death is Death (/feignshock), Mechanical is Famine, and Hooded is War?

The horsemen are actually not based on the biblical 4 horsemen.  The pale, dead, and hooded riders are based on the 3 riders of Baba Yaga (so a different set of old myths).  The mechanical rider was added after the fact and I seem to remember it being more of an Arcanist response to the fact that the other 3 existed rather than part of the same group (In other words mech rider is based on Malifaux lore not any older myths). 

Don't quote me on the last part about mech rider, but I know the pale, dead, and hooded riders are based on Baba Yagas' riders not the biblical ones.

Baba Yagas' 3 riders, for anyone who doesn't know, are metaphors from an old set of myths for the Morning, Noon, and Evening (morning, day, and night?), as they "ride" accross the world.  There is supposed to be a young man with a kind face riding a white horse, a grizzled veteran in battle scarred red gear riding a red horse, and a wizened old man with long white hair wearing black, riding a starving/emaciated black horse. 

From "Vasilissa the Beautiful":

"Presently the old witch sat down to supper and Vasilissa brought all she had cooked, enough for five grown men, and set it before her, and brought beer and honey, and then she herself stood silently waiting. The Baba Yaga ate and drank it all, every morsel, leaving not so much as a crumb of bread; then she said snappishly: "Well, why dost thou say nothing, but stand there as if thou wast dumb?"

"I spoke not," Vasilissa answered, "because I dared not. But if thou wilt allow me, grandmother, I wish to ask thee some questions."

"Well," said the old witch, "only remember that every question does not lead to good. If thou knowest overmuch, thou wilt grow old too soon. What wilt thou ask?"

"I would ask thee," said Vasilissa, "of the men on horse back. When I came to thy hut, a rider passed me. He was dressed all in white and he rode a milk-white horse. Who was he?"

"That was my white, bright day," answered the Baba Yaga angrily. "He is a servant of mine, but he cannot hurt thee. Ask me more."

"Afterwards," said Vasilissa, "a second rider overtook me. He was dressed in red and the horse he rode was blood- red. Who was he?"

"That was my servant, the round, red sun," answered the Baba Yaga, "and he, too, cannot injure thee," and she ground her teeth. "Ask me more."

"A third rider," said Vasilissa, "came galloping up to the gate. He was black, his clothes were black and the horse was coal-black. Who was he?"

"That was my servant, the black, dark night," answered the old witch furiously; "but he also cannot harm thee. Ask me more."

But Vasilissa, remembering what the Baba Yaga had said, that not every question led to good, was silent."

Ask about them and she will answer you. Ask about any other and you will be her supper.

• Like 3

Aren't the malifaux horsemen the four suits?

Pale has the rams horns, and is fighty (Guild, rams)

Hooded has his face covered and so has the horse (neverborn, masks)

Mechanical is clearly an arcane, magical construct (Arcanists, tomes)

Dead is a stitched together undead monstrosity (ressers, crows)

Begs the question, what of the jokers?

• Like 1

While I agree that this all fits and I am sure is intended, I would like to add that I am not just guessing when I say the horsemen were originally based on Baba Yagas 3 riders, this comes from hearing it said on a podcast a while ago by someone high up in Wyrd who would know (Justin?).  But really it is obvious from the malifaux riders that if they were based on either the 3 riders or the 4 horsemen they have departed from the source material a to the point that you could easily think they were based on either or niether.  Also who knows if the designers of the m2e riders had anything like what the original first edition rider designers had in mind.  So really the question of what the riders were originally based on could have absolutely nothing to do with what they look like now.  Also there is Leveticus how does he fit into all of this?  I think the answer is that the riders are just Malifaux lore at this point regardless of what inspired them.

I don't remember so this could be way off but werent there originally (in first edition) only 3 riders and the 4th one got added later on?  Or maybe it was that way in the fluff?  All of this I am remembering from a podcast(or podcasts) I listened to a while ago so maybe it's partially bologna, hopefully someone who remembers something of what I am talking about can chime in. 

I don't believe so, no.

Yeah, I really, very much, like the Pale Rider. They could have made an Undead Lone Marshal, but this guy is BOSS!

I really worry about the stability though. That ankle looks fragile.

Also: Guild spoilers! Wheeeeee!

I love this model for a ton of reasons. 

The clothes, the cannon arm thing, the horse, the complete Pulp-Horror look... it's amazing. 

What I don't like is the fact that it's a guild model because it means I'll buy it and have to buy a crew to go with it. 

Avatar Levi? Skip the Guild entirely? :P