Yamaziko

Sevorin

Any time I've put her on the table I wish I'd spent the points differently.  I'm not saying she's bad or anything, but just that I haven't gotten the mileage out of her that I'd like for the cost.

That said, she seems like a play style model. I'm sure there are certain play styles she works really well in.

I have tried her in a couple of games, and she has been pretty good. I've had success using her in turf war with brace yari, long Ml range and high minimum damage, as well as helping to keep Fuhatsu unseen gaged. They certainly made it difficult for my opponent to get in and keep models in the 6". I also had her hold the smoke and shadows upgrade for the crew.

The problem I see with her is that her Df is crap and that's it, but she just causes pure lock down to any Wp based actions, so I feel it evens out. Also, if you are having problems getting her to be in the middle with brace, just use her as an flanker/objective grabber/schemer killer, with Weak damage 3 she should make very quick work of most objective takers and she has the mobility to do some schemes herself.

• Like 1

I have had games where she was very sucessful and I have had games where she got mowed down by something like a Convict Gunslinger because I needed my stones for other things.  Generally the games she did great for me I had her in position to drop a scheme marker, move, and then drop another one.  Or she went on the flank to do said scheme marker dropping and either destroyed their scheme runners or forced my opponent to send more stuff over to stop her from doing just that.

I use her in different ways depending on the match-ups.

As mentioned by Razhem she's a good flanker/scheme runner.

Her Brace Yari I've used to good effect, particularly when paired up with a Guild Pathfinder and Traps in Turf War or Stake a Claim. Having to walk up to Traps one at a time as melee crew can be frustrating for the opponent.

Master Tactician can completely change a game and how your opponent deals with you. I've dominated games with this ability when it's set-up right, particularly with the :+fate against masters. If your opponent sees her in your crew they have to decide how to deal with her, either taking her out or making sure they don't take unrevealed schemes.

Her weakness is her huge base, Df 4 and only SS for defence, she dies to a stiff breeze, I wouldn't take her against Gremlins or other shooty opponents.

As a 7ss Henchman I think she's pretty well costed.

Her weakness is her huge base, Df 4 and only SS for defence, she dies to a stiff breeze, I wouldn't take her against Gremlins or other shooty opponents.

The problem is that shooty opponents (factions that have a fair chance to feature very shooty crews) is Gremlins, Guild, Arcanists, Outcasts and Ten Thunders. OTOH the 3" melee range is really good against shooty crews, so there is that.

scarlett fever, on 12 Jul 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:snapback.png

The problem is that shooty opponents (factions that have a fair chance to feature very shooty crews) is Gremlins, Guild, Arcanists, Outcasts and Ten Thunders. OTOH the 3" melee range is really good against shooty crews, so there is that

Fair enough, my text was pretty absolutist. Guess I just mean I'd like to have a good reason for her scheme/strat wise if I was facing Gremlins, Outcasts or Guild. I wouldn't be so paranoid about the other Factions as I'm less likely to face a gunline or alot of blasts (not saying it wouldn't happen).

She can be a bit hit and miss but at 7SS it doesn't feel like too great a risk.

Her 3" range with blasts can be alright. I've found this plus Misaki's Thunder or coming in after Fuhatsu is good for clearing up a bunch of small/medium stuff at once. You pick the lowest df in the opponents group to get reasonable damage then lay the blasts over everything else.

I know it's still in the Beta stages, but what do you all think about Yamaziko with the Smoke Grenades Upgrade?

- to all attacks further than 6" away

or

discard at the start of the activation to drop 2 50mm blocking terrain markers in base contact for the turn?

That would really give her a bump in survivability against shooty crews.  With that and recalled training (not needed, but hey, it's awesome!), she should survive till she gets there & then lay a decent smackdown.

I really like her. I've had great success with her in turf war. Ive had her shred a Sonnia before. Built in blast on her melee and 3/3/4 dmg is pretty great. Initially i didnt like her because i was expecting too much from her as she's a henchmen etc. But she's a 7ss model with a 3inch melee range that is a great control piece not to mention a brilliant deliver system for torakage with smoke and shadows. 

Claim jump, smoke of shadows and yama is easy strat points!

• 3 weeks later...