Malifaux Companion Beta - Android App

Critter,

I have to echo what others are saying, and applaud your work on this app. I use it for crew construction almost exclusively now.

Any possibility of campaign support? Or are you waiting until an official release of those rules?

Thanks! I would like add Campaign support, I think that would be pretty handy for keeping track of your Crew's progress. I haven't been keeping close track of how much the beta campaign rules have been changing from week to week, but before undergoing such a large effort I'd at least want to wait until the beta is concluded before putting in the support framework.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just released v1.24, the last update for the Wave 3 Beta content. Sorry it took a bit longer, as I wanted to read back through everything and make sure I didn't have any typos. The beta content will remain unlocked until the official cards are released for retail purchase at GenCon 2015 (I assume), then it will go back to being locked.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I just tried to reproduce this and couldn't get it to happen. How were you trying to add the Performers/Mannequinns (i.e. were you tyring to add two at a time using the right-to-left swipe gesture, or adding them one at a time)?

I *think* I may have replicated this issue, not 100% sure because it involves how android halts processes I think, so forcing it is... messy. Here was my steps.

1) Add 2 of the total 2 nurses owned to a crew. (I'm using left swipe from inside crew builder -> Hire model)

2) Use a task killing app to halt Malifaux Companion.

3) Relaunch Malifaux Companion and go back to the crew builder screen.

4) Remove the nurses from the crew

5) Attempt to re-add them.

You will see nurses in the list of available models, but swipe left comes up with no available nurses (not even 1). Further, only 1 nurse can be added.

Temporary workaround(s):

Remove the now "bugged" nurse entry from collection and re-add it.

EDIT: use the android OS to force stop Malifaux Companion and relaunch it. Everything works correctly and the prior crew is even still intact!

Now I don't know enough about android, how it juggles processes, or what exactly my task killing app does (aside from break your glorious creation), but i have just replicated this issue doing these steps. It's possible that if you let android end the app naturally that this behavior would replicate, but I have tried the android "Force Stop" function, and it doesn't create the issue. Hopefully this can get you looking in the right direction to get to the bottom of this fiddly thing.

Totally unrelated:

For some reason I can use Apprentice Wesley as the leader of my 50ss gremlins crew.

• 5 weeks later...

One reques

Bumping this because everywhere I turn people are heaping praise on this wonderful thing.

Yeah this app is just amazing. I prefer it. Thanks for sharing your work!

I wish we could enter our own stat data. That'd be useful.

Regardless, the one feature I'd love to see is a 'screenshot feature'. This allows for me to share the list with friends, and post it online to twitter etc, when people ask what I've recently run for a game. Right now since the screen doesn't fit all models in a single screen I can't do that easily. Maybe have a 'screen shot view' where it removes all stat line info and just has model and upgrade so I can get it all on a single page and use the phones standard screenshot feature.

Thanks again, and AWESOME job!

• Like 1

Goodness, the option to just type in our own data would be amazing. Is that something that Wyrd has requested not be incorporated, or is it a matter of being a difficult option to implement? Either way, this is honestly the best app.

Glad people are still liking the app!

As of now there are no plans for Wyrd to pick this up to become an official thing. I've breached the subject with them, but it would need to have multi-platform support which is more effort than I'm willing to put into it. The platform I developed on is only Android friendly and would need a complete rewrite for iOS/Windows. And, unfortunately, if its not official then I can't unlock the full rules text.

I don't have plans to include the capability to add your own images of rules cards or entering your own text. Wyrd has already given me permission to include the stat lines of the models and don't want to take advantage of their kindness and include an easy way to 'avoid' buying their product if they want to keep the rules non-public.

• Like 3

To be honest you already did the framework and bulk of the job - comparing to the official stuff it's way more clean and easier to read + seeing the glimpse of how the rules are presented I would have invested more money into this and gladly paid 30-40$ or some kind of yearly subscription fee for the updates. And I can understand your perspective just voicing that there are people willing to even pay for such an app that gives easy access to stat lines and card rules. Keep up the good work Sir. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Uploaded v1.25!

This is not a mandatory auto-update for a few reasons. First, it will wipe all saved data (collection, saved crews, etc). This is due to some database re-structuring I did to streamline code. Also, this updates the app with the official versions of the Book 3 content, so those cards need to go back to being locked, unfortunately. So make sure to note down any saved data you want to keep before updating, or, if you want to keep the last wave 3 beta card rules visible stick with this one.

Note: The functionality of all the campaign upgrades has not yet been implemented (i.e. ones with increase/decrease SS cost will not affect the model's stat line. This will take some more time to flesh all of that out and I wanted to get this update out sooner rather than later.

As always, let me know if you have any issues or suggestions! Hope you like it!

v1.25 Update
- Add data for book 3 content (models, avatars, campaign upgrades) (NOTE: Functionality for all campaign upgrades is not yet complete.)
- Fixed several possible crashes
- Remove 'Show Beta Content' settings option and replaced with 'Show Campaign Content'
- Updated web links to new Wyrd sites
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, the app is awesome! Sorry if this question was asked already, but why not upload the app to playstore? It would be easier to update (at least for me as user). Also it will be available for more people. For now there is only "The Breach" which wasn't updated for a while.

Sure it is in beta, but it also can have same user agreement.

Edited by Delirium_Sidhe

This version seems to have lost the ability to have a henchmen led crew in the 26 - 40ss range.  Am I missing something?

Since I'm finding things:  when running Zoraida as a Gremlin master and taking the upgrade "Tarot Reading" the app is still forcing me to hire Silurids as Mercenaries instead of as swampfiends.  (limit 2, cost goes up)

Edited by Clement
found a new thing

• 3 weeks later...

Any plans to update this to be Shifting Loyalties compliant?

I have updated the app with the latest data from Shifting Loyalties. But it will not auto-update to this version like the past updates. This is because the database will be reset, causing user's saved collection and crew data to be lost so I wanted to leave the update optional. To update you need to visit the TestFairy link in the first post and download it.

Sorry for the lack of other updates. I lost a bit of the last update when I had to rebuild my PC, so I need to invest more time than expected to fix the bugs Clement mentioned.

• Like 5

Any plans to update this to be Shifting Loyalties compliant?

I have updated the app with the latest data from Shifting Loyalties. But it will not auto-update to this version like the past updates. This is because the database will be reset, causing user's saved collection and crew data to be lost so I wanted to leave the update optional. To update you need to visit the TestFairy link in the first post and download it.

Sorry for the lack of other updates. I lost a bit of the last update when I had to rebuild my PC, so I need to invest more time than expected to fix the bugs Clement mentioned.

Thanks for the update! @CritterKiller32 just a heads up that your signature links to the old forum link for this app, may want to update it.

• 3 weeks later...

"Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to step on CrouchingMoose's toes; his app is great and is a heck of lot more visually appealing than mine. We've even had a chat and we may be working together to create a super app in the future. There's even rumblings of some official Wyrd support..." I would love to have an app with included cards. Are there any news to this project?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to note that the Crossroads 7 are working for Jack Daw, except for Wrath who is still being counted as a Merc. I'll check that I'm running the latest version though.

Forget that. Updated to the latest version. Working as it's supposed to. Sorry about that.

Checked it again and the app isn't charging the merc tax for any Master, although normal Mercs are limited to two as normal. There isn't a limit on the Crossroad's Seven, but I guess that would be hard to implement when they are also a crew by themselves.