Tara, the Awesome Master who's is also a Failure!

E.T.A. Hoffman

And he's absolutely baller against spirits. If you're going up against a living crew, maybe you bring a Rogue Necromancy (Ressur) or killjoy (Outcast).

ENinja

While this statement is true, there's a problem with it in that, when you select crews, the only information you're going to *definitely* have is opponent's faction.  Sometimes your opponent will say, "Hey I'm gonna play Kirai" or "I'm gonna try Yan Lo and spirits, that sounds neat!" and then hey, great, bring NB.  But if my opponent declares "Ressers" I can pretty much assure you I'm not guessing on the maybe 2.5/7 chance they'll run a ton of spiritis.

Yeah... which isn't that far off from Outcast Masters that like spirits:

Jack (himself, much of his crew)

Hamelin (nix)

Leveticus (many of his undead options)

Tara (most of her thematic crew)

In comparison, there are a lot of masters/henchmen/enforcers which can do just fine in the absence of spirits but wreck them if they're around, vs. the NB who's instead barely passable normally/fairly good against spirits.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. 

Played her for a while. It's just too much work to, well, make her work.

I'd say she is the only Master/Crew in M2E that is not a complete and well finished package. 

Agreed.  I think it shows that she's the only master in the game that wasn't open beta tested, some models like the NB and Karina would probably be different had she been and those changes would make the "theme" crew more competitive.

That said I don't think Tara is far off being feeling "right".  A few tweaks to NB of some combination of costing less, and/or surviving better and/or doing more weak damage he would be fine.  Karina needs more of a rework IMO, something like the support /buffer/debuffer that Sebastian is.

Tara I think is fine and potent, same with void wretches.

• 1 year later...

This thread has been dead for over two years.  I know it's your first post, but don't be afraid to start a new one.  We're a welcoming sort and would happily discuss possible new and interesting things. :D

A thing to consider in your new thread is expanding on why you think Ama No Zako would be an interesting combo with Tara.  I don't see anything she does that specifically helps with Tara's game, and there are a lot of options to be had at the 10ss range.  That said, I could easily be overlooking something cool!

• Like 1

On December-18-15 at 4:41 AM, Kirby said:

This thread has been dead for over two years.  I know it's your first post, but don't be afraid to start a new one.  We're a welcoming sort and would happily discuss possible new and interesting things. :D

A thing to consider in your new thread is expanding on why you think Ama No Zako would be an interesting combo with Tara.  I don't see anything she does that specifically helps with Tara's game, and there are a lot of options to be had at the 10ss range.  That said, I could easily be overlooking something cool!

Thanks for the info, I'll have a good look and see what I can put togehter in a new thread.

Cheers.

On 6/7/2014 at 11:04 PM, Mister Shine said:

I dont think she needs that much, an upgrade for the Void Beast and just some additional in-theme minion(s) would go a long way. As Justin said, she's pretty good on her own and the "trap" is taking too much to focus on her perceived theme. Which is really just a problem of there only being a few models that fit into it.

Maybe making the nothing beast a henchman would be a nice touch. he definitely needs an extra upgrade slot since the 0 cost upgrade for him is such a no brainer.
Also the fluff presents the Beast as being fully autonomous rather than a slave to Tara's will like the feral void wretches; thus the beast running a crew could make sense from a story telling perspective... a very lovecraftian perspective at that.

Another development idea for the NB would to have a similar ability to the desolation engine but with void wretches = 3 Void wretches can combine to make a NB and when NB dies 2 wretches spawn. 

On 6/7/2014 at 6:53 PM, Aaron said:

You can absolutely play her box and do fine. Are you likely to win a tournament? No, but neither are you with most the other boxes, either.

The tournament I hosted in November, where we had 20 players, two of the Top Three (first and third place) were players who played Tara exclusively for all rounds. The additions or changes to the box were the choice of beatstick. Instead of The Nothing Beast, the players used Hannah, Bishop and Killjoy.

Yeah, tara's well rounded once you figure her out, as there's virtually nothing that can't benefit from more AP or repositioning/protecting.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the NB getting Hench status, but the NB/void wretch thing would be stepping all over the Desolation Engine's toes- it's in the same faction even, so it'd just be a cheaper alternative you wouldn't want with leveticus (for starters) so I'm not sure what'd be the advantage to overhauling it instead of just spending a few more points for that option but less thematically linked.

After playing Lucius, I really learned to just know stones are a resource like any other and throw them around as needed, and Tara comes with a decent cache to begin with. I'd prefer keeping her as-is over making it a more expensive card (harder to obtain/more demanding), and don't think paying less is appropriate since it is a strong ability.