Building crew around Seamus

pxsaber

Hello citizens of Malifaux,

as i gathered enough friends to start into the world of Malifaux (we were mainly playing Warhmmer...) i wanted to start with Misakis Box. But she seems out of stock for looong time (im from EU, Germany what doesnt make it easier).

So my plan of starting into the game with a chinese setting wont work.

But i really like the Shadows of Redchapel Box. Seamus is really a stylish character and i like the Belles much (dont know if i like the copycat though :P )

But i cant see what other than more Belles would be a good choice to build a crew around Seamus. I really like Izamu as a model, but iam not sure if he benefits from any ability, Seamus has.

So is the box itself a good choice for starting into the game? And what possibilities do i have to further increase the cew?

Thx for any answers and suggestions.

• Like 1

The box is an excellent start. The models I would start picking up immediately after the box would be:

Nurses (if you do some searching through the forums you'll see why I rate these very highly.

Dead doxies ( another belle Seamus can summon)

The hanged ( wp and terror shennanigans)

Yin ( good terror control piece)

The dead rider ( the riders are all very solid in both melee and utility)

Bête Noir ( I personally don't like running her with Seamus, but others do so I mention because she can combo well with him)

• Like 1

Fetid has offered some really good suggestions above, all of which will work really well with Seamus. Speaking from personal experience The Hanged are really quite scary with Seamus, if you take his Sinister Reputation upgrade and keep a Hanged or two nearby it will cause the opponent a lot of trouble.

Other models to consider are cheap, fast minions to do some objective running for you. The primary candidates for this in my opinion would be the following

Canine Remains - They are only 4ss, they have a walk of 6 making them pretty quick. They can create corpse counters for you to summon more Belles if you need them, they give enemy models within 1" -1 Df which is really useful and they have a trigger which can give the enemy models -1 Wp and the Beast Characteristic. These guys can be quite an asset if you need objectives completing quickly or need to further lower the enemy Wp for Horror tests. 

Necro Punks - These guys are slightly more expensive at 5ss but they are very fast thanks to a high movement and the (0) Leap action which give them a really nice free movement. On top of this they are surprisingly tough to kill. Randomly they also have Flurry making them not all that bad at dishing out some damage. 

Crooligans - Again these guys are also very cheap at 4ss, they also have the added benefit of reducing enemy Wp by -1 when within 1" of enemy models. They are probably the best at running objectives for two reasons. Firstly they can deploy using From the Shadows so they can start in ideal positions to get scheme markers put down. Secondly after taking an interact action they can place themselves anywhere within 5", this is huge! They can move, interact then place somewhere else to keep themselves safe. All of this makes them pretty good for Seamus. As an added bonus they can use The Mist to put up Soft Cover to protect your crew from shooting attacks and can increase damage caused by  :pulse and  :aura using their (0) action. 

thank you for your answers. So Seamus is based on a lot of old miniatures which are nice looking but not as good as the new plastic kits...

I also consider Lucs McCabe as starting Master, so as Misakis box is available again, i can expand into the 10T direction and synergize from my already owned models.

Seamus has a lot of style, but he still looks like a dead end for me (concerning the available models for ressers)

But thanks again for your advice and suggestions. Helped me to decide

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Flesh Constructs, too.  If you're running a Seamus fear list, especially one with, say, corpse explosions, it's pretty easy to drain your opponent of cards by forcing a high number of duels.  Flesh Constructs are good enough without reactivate, but with they're nasty.

• Like 2

Flesh Constructs, too.  If you're running a Seamus fear list, especially one with, say, corpse explosions, it's pretty easy to drain your opponent of cards by forcing a high number of duels.  Flesh Constructs are good enough without reactivate, but with they're nasty.

Very nice idea which I haven't seen or heard of before.

The way I figure, it can be hard to count on LoS alone for back alley.  Having a pair of 50 mil based constructs standing next to each other covers a lot of that for you.

40mm you mean.  Still two 40mm blocks alot of space.  Just be aware they are only Ht2 so some models can see over them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Good advice i read here, since im new with Malifaux and building around seamus, i was thinking whats next for gaming. 

at first i found a good idea to get a Doctor starter set, so i get the 2 nurses and the flesh construct.its a good idea? 

Good advice i read here, since im new with Malifaux and building around seamus, i was thinking whats next for gaming. 

at first i found a good idea to get a Doctor starter set, so i get the 2 nurses and the flesh construct.its a good idea? 

Yeah for sure. The Nurses are amazing, Paralyzed Lucius and Captain Dashel with one the other day :D Also in Make them Suffer or Reckoning combined with the Flesh Constructs it's just plain mean to let them slap around your 13 wd Flesh Construct in hopes of getting some points and then heal them back to full with a Nurse. They are really growing on me and really making hard to build my Rezzer lists as I would really prefer one in almost any. 

Also, the Doctor is amazing! I freaking love playing McMourning. :)

• Like 1

Take a dog or two.  His Avatar is really nice,  dropping willpower and causing a loss of immunity to horror really ruins your opponents hand. Combing this with lure trigger and your opponent loses there hand pretty quickly. 

I run the dead rider and he seems to cause a few of the masters I play against some real issues.

Just as a point of clarification, the latest beta files for Seamus' Avatar did not have it possible for Seamus to cause a loss of WP, nor the ability to strip away immunity to Horror. The Avatar was shifted from the Avatar of Dread to the Avatar of Murder, with a pre-manifest ability to put up a 50mm pillar of darkness in base to base, and a post manifest ability to gain +1 dmg to ML and CA attacks, as well as a ML attack that does no dmg but can cause an affected model to push up to 10" away from Seamus, causing no dmg if they move into anything else. Beta Testing for Avatars is slated to resume once again in September.

Just mentioning for the benefit of a new player.

• Like 1