AdeptiCon Musings from the TO

I love that the terrain is different and unique. It requires you to really think about your crew and build it differently than you normally would.

This is the second year I was able to play on the sewer table. This year it was for squatter's rights, and you can imagine how interesting that was. I had to build a crew that had a lot of Ht1 models and almost everything was incorporeal just so I could have my models move around easily.

I'd say the biggest 'issues' I saw were the table numbers not matching, and the bye values in the software incorrect for current Gaining Grounds rules. Overall, it was a good time, and I had a blast. I appreciate all the hard work everyone involved put in. 

Looking forward to next year for sure.

Two special prizes were donated to the Achievement League from Two Crystal Brush Entrants (unfortunately, I was a zombie on Sunday and I did not write down the name of the first. But, the second was Mario from Voice of Mars. Hopefully Mario can help me out here). The unnamed Crystal Brush Entrant donated his stunning Viktorias Crew to the Wooden Spoon Entrant of the Achievement League (who then won a raffle pull for a box of Ronin from Wyrd).day.

I think the Victoria crew was painted by James Convy of the Beerthralls and 13th Hour miniatures. He does not have it on his website yet, but he has other Malifaux things up there. He is a previous year Bronze Crystal Brush winner.

http://13thhourminiatures.blogspot.com/

Hey Sean!

I've got a bunch of feedback that I'm going to put into an e-mail sometime in the near future, but wanted to say a few quick things. (I don't do "small messages" though :P)

Thanks so much for organizing! The tournament was a blast, and even if you guys (and others) think you did a few things wrong, it all worked out and everyone was happy so...yay!

I want to express an opinion on terrain. I didn't play on the Lilith table, but I did play on the sewer table against Adam and his Resser Tara crew. We both sat down and spent probably 20 minutes going over how we thought each piece would work. Usually you can just walk up to a table, say "grove, walls, severe" and be done with it. This table took some negotiation, and even though this took time, it was worthwhile. After we'd agreed on everything, the game just worked. And because the terrain was so brutal, it completely changed the game

Malifaux is a game that changes every time you flip a new combo of Schemes and Strategy. But after a while, you get a good sense of what stuff you're best at and then you just try to pick those because you know how to do them. That table, I had to pull a strategy out of my ass to accommodate Squatter's Rights, with the markers sitting in the bottom of a Ht1 pit in Severe terrain, with extremely limited movement lines. Holy hell that was a rush!

Some people hated that table, and I can appreciate their feelings. Not everyone likes that sort of thing, but I loved the shit out of it.

<-- Craig

• Like 3

I think by using words like failure you are being to harsh on yourself - a fault with all good TOs.  Whilst the Team Event didn't run as smoothly as you would have liked it was still, from my POV at least, a really fun event with plenty of great games being played in the spirit to which Malifaux events have become accustomed.

For me it did highlight one thing and that is the interactions between certain masters exponentially blows the power level up (Lynch and Pandora I am looking at you) and I wonder if, given the nature of doubles events, that random teams wouldn't be more fun going forward - its certainly how I will be doing Doubles events over here for the future

I think by using words like failure you are being to harsh on yourself - a fault with all good TOs.  Whilst the Team Event didn't run as smoothly as you would have liked it was still, from my POV at least, a really fun event with plenty of great games being played in the spirit to which Malifaux events have become accustomed.

For me it did highlight one thing and that is the interactions between certain masters exponentially blows the power level up (Lynch and Pandora I am looking at you) and I wonder if, given the nature of doubles events, that random teams wouldn't be more fun going forward - its certainly how I will be doing Doubles events over here for the future

While I like this ideas of random pairings I think it takes away some of the fun of coming up with these powerhouse combos. Its a mental exercise which you and your teammate can work on and fine tune. Now is it going to be balanced, hells no. But part of the fun I really think is trying to come up with on of those combos.

Another option going forward may be to use the new 4 player encounters released in Chronicles 11, obviously with a slight twist, etc. Need to test it out but there appears to be potential.

With all that said, I plan on running a team tourney at CaptainCon (http://captaincon.com/?page_id=145). It will be the main event/highlight for Malifaux at the con. I'm using similar rules as Adepticon, but with one significant change. 35ss crews per crew like Adepticon, but 25ss fixed list (must include master) and a 15ss side pool of which you can use 10ss of per round to adjust your crew for schemes and factions/masters you're paired against. I think this gives everyone fair flexibility to include 1-2 extra models as well as swap in upgrades to counter balance potential combos.

Regardless, I always look as a team event as a way to have a great time and do something that players often don't have an opportunity to play. Its long format doesnt usually fit into a single day, but is always a blasdt when you can run it. I think that while the team event wasn't as fluid as it could have been it was still a lot of fun and I had a great time playing with my partner and against all of my opponents. There's always room for improvement, but it was a good time.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Side board will be interesting to hear the results. Random pairings could be fun as well. Let me know how that goes. Another mad concept I want to try is each player brings two masters and flips before the round to see which they are plying with. Not that I think it is a good option for AdeptiCon. Just sounds fun.

"best combo" winning team tourney is not new to this version. (Happened last year in v1)

The only real difference I have noticed this year is people seeming to care more about it than previous years.

I have always held the stance that the team tournament, by its nature, should be considered as a much more casual event.   If you want to truly test your Malifaux skills in the most balanced way possible,  play in the masters.  Team and Story were designed to be more about fun then winning.  Anytime you bend the rules of the game around a bit(like adding a Master or using themed strategies) you end up with some exploits.  No TO has the vast resources that Wyrd does to playtest everything nor the patience and time to rewrite large amounts of rules. 

That being said there are some teams that take it more seriously then others, but that is the nature of any tournament.  I have seen players try to game the Cake Match rules in years past as well. 

My personal thanks to everyone who participated and put an extra effort into this.

SO, anyone that really popped out as going above and beyond, give me a holler and I'm sure we can get some goodies out for folks as a thank you for their time and efforts.

I am sending Jacq a list tonight of my crew. I think most are henchers. But John Hartigan (Necarch) jumps to mind as a non bencher. Terrain peeps, I will need to check.

I have always held the stance that the team tournament, by its nature, should be considered as a much more casual event.   If you want to truly test your Malifaux skills in the most balanced way possible,  play in the masters.  Team and Story were designed to be more about fun then winning.  Anytime you bend the rules of the game around a bit(like adding a Master or using themed strategies) you end up with some exploits.  No TO has the vast resources that Wyrd does to playtest everything nor the patience and time to rewrite large amounts of rules. 

That being said there are some teams that take it more seriously then others, but that is the nature of any tournament.  I have seen players try to game the Cake Match rules in years past as well. 

Thats the real difference I saw this year. I saw hordes of consternation when there was late rules changes and angst about the running of it, etc... I remember last year Raoul and I slapped together a decent combo, tested it against John and Paul for a quick test at the Wandering Dragon, and then won the tourney because we "chose well". (While drinking 1.5 bottles of whiskey)

No one gave us any grief the whole day and it was my most fun time I have had in a Malifaux tourney for the good nature of our opponents.

I also remember the first year of the cake tourney where we proudly still own the first "Master of Cakes" plaque but had to listen to another team pat themselves on the back for having beaten my 10 year old son in the individual games during the same tourney on their way to the "other" (see: lesser) plaque for cake.

This game is NOT MEANT FOR TEAM PLAY. It was said MANY TIMES in the earliest of the betas... Get over it... 

Team play is a great opportunity for 4 people to have a fun time together and if you have more expectations than that, they get over yourself.

• Like 1

Thats the real difference I saw this year. I saw hordes of consternation when there was late rules changes and angst about the running of it, etc... I remember last year Raoul and I slapped together a decent combo, tested it against John and Paul for a quick test at the Wandering Dragon, and then won the tourney because we "chose well". (While drinking 1.5 bottles of whiskey)

No one gave us any grief the whole day and it was my most fun time I have had in a Malifaux tourney for the good nature of our opponents.

I also remember the first year of the cake tourney where we proudly still own the first "Master of Cakes" plaque but had to listen to another team pat themselves on the back for having beaten my 10 year old son in the individual games during the same tourney on their way to the "other" (see: lesser) plaque for cake.

This game is NOT MEANT FOR TEAM PLAY. It was said MANY TIMES in the earliest of the betas... Get over it... 

Team play is a great opportunity for 4 people to have a fun time together and if you have more expectations than that, they get over yourself.

Yeah, It is great fun. Treat it as such!

I was on the team you guys played in the last game of the team tournament last year (Perdita + Viks w/ Von Schill). After carefully metering my intake for the whole day, you guys shared with me a 4oz glass and it definitely pushed me over the line!

Your combo was great, we saw it and we didn't complain about it. We simply said, "Darn it! Why didn't we think of that!" The team tournament is just a fun venue of saying, "wouldn't it be great if..." My friend and I had a great time in every single team game, and it was really an amazing day.

So thanks for the great game last year, bro!

Yeah, It is great fun. Treat it as such!

I was on the team you guys played in the last game of the team tournament last year (Perdita + Viks w/ Von Schill). After carefully metering my intake for the whole day, you guys shared with me a 4oz glass and it definitely pushed me over the line!

Your combo was great, we saw it and we didn't complain about it. We simply said, "Darn it! Why didn't we think of that!" The team tournament is just a fun venue of saying, "wouldn't it be great if..." My friend and I had a great time in every single team game, and it was really an amazing day.

So thanks for the great game last year, bro!

Yeah it must have been great cause you tell that story about one a month in our meta ;)