AdeptiCon Musings from the TO

Howdy all. I am finally a little more rested today.  So, I thought I would talk a bit about my observations from AdeptiCon 2014 from a TO standpoint. I do not yet have the data from the con or my awesome Tech Guru so I will get those posted later this week.  But, I wanted to get some notes down before I lost track of them in my head.

First of all thanks to all of you who made it out to AdeptiCon this year and made it FANTASTIC for me.  I had a great time meeting everyone and chatting with you and admiring your minis. So, thanks for making my efforts worthwhile.

Second, thank you to everyone who brought the awesome terrain for the attendees to play on. There are too many to list here. But, you know who you are and you all are the awesome in my book.

Third, Thank you to Mike Marshall and the Malifools, Victoria Myer Hrenda, Tim Korklewski, Chris Bowers and Dennis Graziano without whom the AWESOME Fate/Scheme/Strategy deck would not have happened. Mike made the whole thing possible by funding the project and the rest volunteered to send me the wonderful artwork that adorns the cards. We put a deck in the hands of 147 players which is beyond cool. OldManMyke has the details as to how many he has left available.  But, is was approximately 80 when I gave the remainder to him.

Things were not all peaches and cream and rainbow farting unicorns. We had our snags.  But, you guys and gals handled them and I am grateful for that. The computer software worked well. Unfortunately, my Tech Henchman is (contrary to my belief) not actually a construct and had to go eat, sleep and be a husband at times. So, he left me the Luddite with his program and I of course screwed it up once or twice.  So, I apologize for that. But, otherwise, it worked awesome and I know Chris already has some plans for improvements. So, Gen Con and next year will be even better.

My demo Minions knocked themselves out and we brought a few new people into the game. If you are one of them, WELCOME!

My Judge Minions handled things smoothly for the most part.  We have some interesting happenings that were difficult to work out that we plan to bring to Wyrd's attention once we gather the notes to something legible. Nothing major.  Just random things that were hard to figure the timing on. For the most part, you all handled most of the issues you had though.  So, rules clarity is obviously much improved over last year.

The cake Match was terrific. I will post pics soon. A Pig Bomb Cake won best cake and was delicious and included Twix, pretzels and chocolate. The other cakes were good as well. But, this one stood out on flavor as well as presentation.

Team Tourney was the one event I participated in. So, I can't go into the behind the scenes as I wasn't there. But, My teammate and I enjoyed our games and I learned a lot about how my teammate's crew interacts with our opponent's Hungering Darkness....my teammate's Stitched Together kills my Candy, Primordial Magic (Which I was planning on using to Plant Explosives) and a sorrow. Lesson learned.

Story Encounter was a little messy. I think some had to do with the lateness of the event and I need to work on the for next year. But, most seemed to enjoy the encounters. The good news is that the Circus has arrived and the tents are up. So, next year attendees will be able to partake of the magic that is the Circus!

Masters was a monster. The first three rounds went well on Saturday. However, the last three rounds on Sunday were a little tough. Quite a few had stayed up the night before to participate in the Story Encounter and I think were regretting it on Sunday.  little before the end of turn five, I stopped the clock and took a poll to see how many had flights to make and was met with applause when I asked if anyone minded if I ended the tournament after round 5. Again, I will look into plans for next year to not have that happen again. But, everyone seemed to enjoy the prizes that Wyrd, AdeptiCon and various other stores, companies and individuals donated for the MAsters. So, everyone left on a good note.

The Achievement league was a huge success. Tons of games were played and many achievements were checked off sheets. The participants were extremely fun and did a lot of demoing for us to achieve points and came up with all kinds of wacky ways to achieve objectives. So, my hat is tipped to them.

Prize support was excellent this year. Wyrd stepped up to the plate as always and gave us a number of crews, support boxes, Miss Steps Transparent and dayglow boxes to use for the various events. Local Henchmen approached their stores (Games Plus in Mount Prospect really pitched in)and received support as well as dipped into their personal stashes to pull some choice pieces out as well (thanks guys. You know I love you.) UrbanLasercraft donated set of their Laser cut markers for the events as well as a bunch of zip lock baggies full of scheme markers to hand out to the participants at each event. Two special prizes were donated to the Achievement League from Two Crystal Brush Entrants (unfortunately, I was a zombie on Sunday and I did not write down the name of the first. But, the second was Mario from Voice of Mars. Hopefully Mario can help me out here). The unnamed Crystal Brush Entrant donated his stunning Viktorias Crew to the Wooden Spoon Entrant of the Achievement League (who then won a raffle pull for a box of Ronin from Wyrd). That'll be a nice crew to bring to the table and should help his achievements next year. Mario donated his time and skills to the winner of the Achievement League in the form of MArio painting a box of support models to his award winning standard with a display base to show them off. What a way to remember one's achievements (BTW.....the winner should email me to work out the details). Thanks to both of the donors for their really special contributions.

So, fun was had by all I hope.  Improvements will be made for next year and I hope we can get more registrants so I can make a push for a larger room with windows maybe. If you were there, I hope you had a blast and welcome your constructive feedback via my email adepticonsean AT Gmail DOT com. If you weren't there, we will look forward to handing you cake next year opening day.

• Like 5

Forgot to add that I get comments on the terrain from both positive and negative viewpoints.  So, I love the positives and take the negatives into account. I did want to address one thing.

I view AdeptiCon as one of the premiere events for Malifaux as well as the other games at the con. Therefore as TO, I try to make the events special and different than anything people can find at their local stores. That includes unusual terrain. When I go to a tournament, I go for the challenge. If every board is a few hills, maybe  some trees and a rock or two, that doesn't challenge me. Now if I walk into a room and see December's Maw blasting snow across a plinth adorned with frozen bodies of ritual casters from long ago or a sewers with channels of muck water leading under a grated room that Collette and her showgirls use to load skiffs full of soulstones to deliver to Ramos or a large tree in the center of bowl shaped cemetery......that's variance.  That's what makes me play differently. That's what challenges me as a player.

Do all the tables work for my crew?  Hell no. The forest table that I thought would help my pandora crew in the team tourney ended up lulling me into complacency that ended up with three of my crew dead on turn two (no I'm not bitter). But, I welcome that challenge. It makes me a better player when I have to think outside my comfort zone. I hope you all agree. But, that is naive. I will never please everyone. That is not my goal. My goal is to craft variety to there is chance that everyone will have the opportunity to approach a battle on favorable terrain.  But, that is not ALWAYS possible. My terrain volunteers did a fantastic job of providing the events with stunning variety of terrain and challenges and I am grateful for every one of them.

That about sums up my stance on the matter.  I still encourage and welcome constructive feedback and opinions. I will consider them and try to work something if it works in the best interest of everyone. But, terrain will be random at AdeptiCon because it comes from multiple sources it is the only way I could achieve the awesome feat of organizing this event for you fantastic folk.  So, I hope you will embrace the challenges as strategy growing.

• Like 7

IMO, having seen every table in every room of every game type at Adepticon, Malifaux had the best looking tables as a whole and I think that can only help the image of the game for the casual passers-by.

Amazing variety...

Or balance...

Its often one or the other.

I could see an entirely different perspective though if someone's purpose there was strictly their results and they felt that they were put on a table that severely disadvantaged them or lent their opponent a large advantage. Stuff happens. :)

• Like 2

I agree completely on all accounts. There is fantastic terrain at AdeptiCon. But the terrain in the Wyrd room was nicely varied and attractive which made the whole room pop every time I walked in. That made me proud.

I am also the type that blames terrain until I think about the game more down the road. Then I realize other choices I could have made that would have changed the outcome. Usually I even find options afterwards that would have helped me due to terrain. Hindsight 20/20 and all. Lol.

It was great to see you there by the way.

I agree whole heartedly with your thoughts on terrain. While I know my terraclips boards might not have been ideal for all of the unique scenarios, I brought them with the intent of providing a unique gaming experience. Also, terrain building can be time consuming and, easily overlooked. I know I personally chose building the dead forest board over painting my new Latigo crew, leaving me with no models I could comfortably enter into the painting contest. Just wait until we have twice as much space to fill with terrain next year(unofficial), haha! Time to start building now!

It is indeed time consuming. That is why I am so grateful to my volunteers. The terraclips was not the only one that was not conducive to my story strats. So, don't beat yourself up. Heck my sewer board proved to be a pain that I hadn't accounted for when chossing/designing the story strats. I am sorry my terrain issues caused your Latigos to suffer. Next year I will be better prepared. I cleaned my game room today in preparation to start organizing supplies for next year's table additions.

It was completely my choice to build that board over painting a newer crew and, I really enjoyed it. I heard several complaints about terrain as well and, just wanted to help you inform everyone about the amount of work that goes into filling a room with the amount of terrain that Malifaux requires. I'm just glad I don't have to build any for a Infinity room!

great video that really covered it all and showed the diversity. 

It reminded me of the flashback I had at the convention... there is a table in the video that has two large mountains (Yellowish) that are made out of plastic...

My brother actually had those years ago as part of a "cowboys and Indians" set. (I had the guns of Navarone set)

We got them for Christmas when I was about 10... So those things came out 37 freaking years ago! lol...

I gotta google them...

:)

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/Balticprince/media/General%20Album%203/MarxC_zpsd05dc500.jpg.html

http://chrisbaer.net/mp/2010/01/31/lost-toys-marx-toys-navarone-play-set/

• Like 1

People left once they were not in the bracket. What you are talking about has been done. Didn't play out like you are thinking it will. Talking from experience. Empty room. People will always choose going home to sleep over playing games that will not get them in the top brackets. Plus the system you speak of doesn't allow for the skill of the player vs an unlucky game.

great video that really covered it all and showed the diversity. 

It reminded me of the flashback I had at the convention... there is a table in the video that has two large mountains (Yellowish) that are made out of plastic...

My brother actually had those years ago as part of a "cowboys and Indians" set. (I had the guns of Navarone set)

We got them for Christmas when I was about 10... So those things came out 37 freaking years ago! lol...

I gotta google them...

:)

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/Balticprince/media/General%20Album%203/MarxC_zpsd05dc500.jpg.html

http://chrisbaer.net/mp/2010/01/31/lost-toys-marx-toys-navarone-play-set/

We got to play on that table in the team tournament! We got beat pretty badly by a McCabe/Perdita crew played by two excellent players. My partner was on the side of the board with the yellow mountains, and when he and the gentleman across from him sat down they couldn't see themselves around the mountains! I need to ask if they worked out some sort of smoke signals system to communicate during the game.....

The mountains were complimented by a bunch of nice laser cut wood buildings from Knuckleduster. We got a great Old West vibe from the table while we played on it- I even moved my Convict Gunslinger up to the gallows in the middle of the table, how could I resist?

For the past few years we had played n the Warhammer Fantasy tournament at Adepticon, but this year we skipped it in favor of Malifaux teams. We discussed it afterwards and agreed that we made a good choice! Well done gentlemen, I believe you sold us on coming back next year!

See....now I need to put a model train smokestack in both cliff pieces so opponents can use smoke signals. I knew those were going to be trouble. Guess ID better head to the model shop ;).

Glad you had a good time. Anyone who enjoyed the Knuckleduster tables, please visit his site and let him know that you enjoyed the tables. He donated $650 worth of terrain to make the two tables. I can't wait for the next piece Forrest told me about for the ghost town line. I will be buying it for sure.

Overall I think the Malifaux weekend went really well and all of the events seemed to run fairly smoothly all things considered. 

I do have a couple of gripes with the way that the Team Tournament was handled however. 

It's unacceptable to release a set of rules a month in advance and then change them a week before the event. I know that I personally painted up models and made plans to play a certain list based on the rules we were given. The fact that the rules change is buried in a forum here and I was unaware of the change until midway through round 1 of the event doesn't help this. 

Changing team models to suddenly become friendly rather than "allied" is a huge change and should have been dealt with in a much more transparent way. The rules packet amusingly just had the allied bit scribbled out by hand as the change came so late. 

Additionally, I personally sent emails asking questions about the Team Tournament and how certain interactions would be handled as well as how schemes would be handled. Only to find out that what I had been told was not actually true.  

I completely understand that running a competitive team tournament is going to be hard when everything is so new and all of the interactions and rules have not had a chance to be fleshed out yet. That being said it helps if you stick to what you say or at least make updates where people are most likely to look. Every team I played against had an issue with rules being changed and not being given the chance to prepare properly. 

Again overall the weekend was great and I look forward to next year. 

• Like 2

Thanks Icemyn.

First, I agree completely. Team tourney was handled poorly and for that I apologize. This event was the biggest thorn and all issues were my fault.

M2E threw some big unexpected twists into how the team tourney works. The funny thing is that all the great work they put into clarifying things for M2E caused old interactions to change drastically in the team format we had so that it didn't work anymore.

The only reason the team format worked so well previously is Nilus, Nix and many others put a lot of work into hashing out the inconsistencies of 1.5 and writing rules to address them. It took a couple years. But they got it right in the end. I haven't had the opportunity to do the same and obviously there are some growing pains that have popped up because of that.

Rest assured that Team Tourney is high on my list of priorities to work start work on immediately and it WILL be better and more organized next year and I welcome players feedback via email if we can keep the tone civil (which you did a great job of and I thank you).

As for last minute changes...they seemed last minute. But they honestly weren't. The trouble we have there is the process AdeptiCon uses for rules posting. They work great when there are no edition changes. They are a little challenging when there are. I am working on a system outside of AdeptiCon to address that for next year. So that too WILL be better.

I am sorry the Team Tourney was such a failure this year. Please chalk it up to growing pains and learning curve and have good expectations for next year. We are addressing it because it has always been a great event and I want to have it continue to be. Thanks for your patience all.

• Like 4

Regarding the terrain on the tables, I heard some scattered complaints and from you as well that people had complained but I'm genuinely not sure why. I really loved the variety of terrain and it gave me some GREAT ideas for some things to do on my own tables. No table had terrain that was so challenging it couldn't be overcome and the variety was pure fun.

The schedule was BRUTAL though and I felt just horrible for dropping out of day 2 of the masters. I could barely make sentences, much less provide a fun game of Malifaux for any unfortunate opponent I got paired with.

I still had an absolute blast and I want to thank you (again) and all the staff and everyone who contributed for a really great time.

• Like 1

Thanks. Glad to hear people had fun. My crew worked their butts off and it is good to see them praised. They deserve it.

Yes the schedule is brutal. I tried to cram as many events as I could into the schedule with the volunteers I had without killing them. However, one does not HAVE to play in them all. Merely options to allow attendees to get as much games in as they want to and feel able to. I myself was next to useless Sunday. Fortunately, my crew can run itself well.

However, one does not HAVE to play in them all. Merely options to allow attendees to get as much games in as they want to and feel able to.

Absolutely a lesson learned. It was my first time out to adepticon and I wasn't sure what to expect. I have a much better idea of things now and I'm positive that next time will be even better :)

It was plain to see that the schedule was the way it was in order to pack as much Malifaux goodness for everyone to enjoy into the time allotted.