Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

Just a few questions on the Nephalim:

Do they have some sort of compound or home that they operate out of? The implication is that they'res a hierarchy for them and that they have a culture and social structure, but where they're coming from isn't really spelled out other then a few bits about camps in the black blood shaman fluff. If so, have the humans really stumbled on this area yet?

Also, will the nature of the neverborn (not the gremlins) be explained a little more coming up? Especially the woes and the nephalim. Also, how they're interacting with/against the tyrants and the dynamic there?

Also, one of the suggestions I'd have would be to expand the fluff a little more on the website. We've had a lot of interest at the store about the game and we've had a few people come here to take a look at things. One of the complaints we heard back was that the site doesn't really tell anything about malifaux, the factions or the masters from what they could tell. I ended up compiling some very basic fluff and background to give the players a sense of what each faction and master was about, but like I said, it was very basic.

One last thing, I never even noticed the Wyrd Chronicles until just a minute ago. I noticed the first issue when I downloaded it has some stuff about the neverborn so my questions above may be answered there. Problem is that it kind of goes into what I was saying about the website proper not having a fluff/background section.

Edited by emissary

I'm very curious about the unexplained connection between C. Hoffman and Coppelius. Was that ever discussed anywhere?

The connection is a bit of in-humour, Coppelius is based on a character called Coppelius in a german story called The Sandman, the author of said story, one E.T.A Hoffman

Just a few questions on the Nephalim:

Do they have some sort of compound or home that they operate out of? The implication is that they'res a hierarchy for them and that they have a culture and social structure, but where they're coming from isn't really spelled out other then a few bits about camps in the black blood shaman fluff. If so, have the humans really stumbled on this area yet?

The Nephilim don't exactly call one specific area of Malifaux home. They're scattered throughout just like the other Neverborn are. They do have a hierarchy and social structure - brutal as they are - but as far as a 'capitol' or 'home base' not exactly.

Also, will the nature of the neverborn (not the gremlins) be explained a little more coming up? Especially the woes and the nephalim. Also, how they're interacting with/against the tyrants and the dynamic there?

Yes. Maybe. ;)

Also, one of the suggestions I'd have would be to expand the fluff a little more on the website. We've had a lot of interest at the store about the game and we've had a few people come here to take a look at things. One of the complaints we heard back was that the site doesn't really tell anything about malifaux, the factions or the masters from what they could tell. I ended up compiling some very basic fluff and background to give the players a sense of what each faction and master was about, but like I said, it was very basic.

An updated site is still a WIP, but it is being worked on.

One last thing, I never even noticed the Wyrd Chronicles until just a minute ago. I noticed the first issue when I downloaded it has some stuff about the neverborn so my questions above may be answered there. Problem is that it kind of goes into what I was saying about the website proper not having a fluff/background section.

See above. ;)

Sorry, I could have missed this somewhere in the fluff too, but will it be expanded upon on why magic was getting drained out of both earth and the malifaux world and what the soulstones have to do with that?

I also know that a very sarcastic answer can be given to this question, but where to terror tots come from? At points I get the impression that a lot of the neverborn are like daemons in the GW worlds. IE our emotions made manifest. If it isn't that way for the nephalim, are they more of an indigenous race or something else? I don't expect that there are mommy and daddy matures running around. ;)

lol, I keep adding to this post. Another thing I'd like to see more on is stuff behind the hooded, dead and mechanical riders. It seems a lot could be done with those.

Thanks for the help on this, it's great that you're involved.

Edited by emissary

I figured the Nephilim were the people who didn't die when the Grave Spirit iced the Tyrants and 99% of everyone else. It could explain "Ours!". Also, the Nephilim are enemies of the Tyrants. Everything in Book I seemed to be set up by Zoriada for the purpose of exposing and assassinating December, Lilith and Pandora's "attacks" on Rasputina and Viktoria included.

I'm curious to see what happens with the doppelganger. It knows things about the world, and it's explained a few things to Viktoria and Alyce already. Is it truly "innocent" now, and potentially a threat to the Nephilim, or does it remain loyal, aiding Viktoria only as long as her goals align with the Nephilim.

Then again, the two of them are the Jokers, and it's Viktoria herself who is the Black. Foreshadowing of something more significant to come, or just Zoriada's opinion as the puppetmaster?

By contrast, I had assumed that when they worked their anti-Tyrant magic, most people became gremlins. I felt that only those with (significant) magical potential became Neverborn proper, everyone else devolving.

But then, I also like to think that Lord Chompy Bits is a damaged Tyrant. The way he manifests through the Dreamer is nicely similar to December's working through Rasputina. He might have forgotten the glory days (the fluff suggests that he doesn't know his origins), but one day he will remember or, better yet, someone will recognise him.

I also know that a very sarcastic answer can be given to this question, but where to terror tots come from?

Terror taters?

Another thing I'd like to see more on is stuff behind the hooded, dead and mechanical riders. It seems a lot could be done with those.

Pretty sure that'll be happening. ;)

One of the big selling points for "other games" is the volume to of quality background that has been developed not only in game material but also in novels and other merchandise, so much so that they take to defending their license very aggressively.

Obviously this is very early in the development of the franchise, but I am wondering if the company has a specific plan or outlook on developing the "world" in this direction.

Regards,

TV

Sorry, I could have missed this somewhere in the fluff too, but will it be expanded upon on why magic was getting drained out of both earth and the malifaux world and what the soulstones have to do with that?

lol, I keep adding to this post. Another thing I'd like to see more on is stuff behind the hooded, dead and mechanical riders. It seems a lot could be done with those.

Thanks for the help on this, it's great that you're involved.

1. Maybe. In bits and pieces over time?

2. Yeah. Like Kel said, you can count on it.

3. ;)

One of the big selling points for "other games" is the volume to of quality background that has been developed not only in game material but also in novels and other merchandise, so much so that they take to defending their license very aggressively.

Obviously this is very early in the development of the franchise, but I am wondering if the company has a specific plan or outlook on developing the "world" in this direction.

Regards,

TV

We're talking about how we can get you more fluff. Clearly this is almost universally requested. We'd be foolish not to try to figure out something!

Here's one: When's that "Bowen" guy gonna get off his high horse and just accept that Justice is an awesome, complex, cool, and just plain kick-ass character with a lot of room for growth and development?

Bowen's a jerk. Currently she doesn't have a lot of room for growth. What with that big building on her and all. Phenomenal cosmic power....itty bitty living space.

Here are my questions.

1. Nicodem and Mcmourning.

Do they have a professional relationship? It seems to me that Nicodems vested interest in taking down the governer would have led him to exert some kind of professional relationship with Mcmourning who is in the employ of the guild. Seamus and Mcmourning clearly had some sort of relationship (what's the deal there as well?) Given that Nicodem is the undertaker, I could see them providing each other mutual support

2. Rasputina and Seamus

These two really hated each other, what on earth was that all about? Did I miss something here because I definably felt like there was something more then just 'you're in my way' in their rivalry.

2. Rasputina and Seamus

These two really hated each other, what on earth was that all about? Did I miss something here because I definably felt like there was something more then just 'you're in my way' in their rivalry.

I think Tina hates him purely because of who is and the whole 'mass murdering women' thing he has, it not best of way's to make women like you

Something I've been pondering for awhile now. The scale in which the skirmishes in Malifaux takes place are pretty much street level gang brawls. How is the introduction of Avatar forms going to effect this?

Wait and see!

But as the Dev team revealed at Adepticon: scale of game should not be impacted. (I'll keep secrets, but this is one that is NOT a secret - no hidden agenda to force the player base to increase their game size).

Now, since this is a fluff-specific thread, perhaps you meant "How will avatars change the street level brawls in the fluff?"

Interestingly, in the next book several Avatars....hang on a minute....someone at the door.....