Lelu or Kade in this crew?

Sir Andersen

Trying to put together a Pandora crew based on what models I actually have, and ending up in a situation where I basically have to choose between Lelu or Baby Kade.

This is what the crew looks like:

Pandora (Cry for Me, The Box Opens)

Poltergeist

Candy (Depression)

Lilitu

Sorrow

Sorrow
Sorrow

I don't really have anything else in my collection that would be super tasty with those last stones. No wisps. No Insidious Madnesses. No shuffling around a bit and making room for a Widow Weaver.

Whichever one I pick, they'd basically pass as the "beater" for the crew, to deal with anything too strong of will.

The way I see it, Lelu has some good synergy with Lilitu. The extra regen is nice for both and giving her Pounce is always great. Kade, on the other hand, has better synergy with the rest of the crew as a whole with a few ways to force wp duels (Lure and Manipulative). Kade would be the no-brainer in this, if not for the fact that his wp-forcing tools are a little weak, or mediocre at best (Ca 5, TN 11).

So if you were taking the above crew, as a sort of "vs all comers" crew, which of the two would you take? 

I would lean towards Kade. He has always treated me right. His high Ml and Df means you can force through damage or protect him pretty well. Also with the way a pandora crew will bunch up and doggy pile on enemies his damage track becomes bonkers, and his lure helps this along despite a lowish Ca.

Lelu has a couple extra wounds and lots of healing, but won't really be any tougher to take apart if your opponent wants to take him down. Without good ways to take advantage of the link between lelu and lilitu I'd see it more as a weakness the opponent can exploit.

Either way you go, treat them with care as they are both glass-cannon models, and pop the 'thousand faces' upgrade on there to keep them flexible.

12 minutes ago, Sharp_GT said:

pop the 'thousand faces' upgrade on there to keep them flexible.

I'm really not comfortable with this. I don't feel that I know the Neverborn upgrades (or the upgrades at all really) well enough to make good sensible decisions here. More likely I'll just forget about it.

If I do end up sticking an upgrade on, it'll probably just be Mimic's Blessing for a little defensive boost, or Retribution's Eye since they ARE my primary beatstick...

thousand faces can seem daunting for that reason, but you really only ever turn it into 2-3 upgrades for kade/lelu. Retributions eye if you see a lot of armor to crack, mimic's blessing if they have a lot of shooters, and maybe malifaux provides if you want to sit in an area and get more healing or avoid conditions being handed to both twins. Ignore the other options since you'll rarely, if ever, want them.

Just keep those 2-3 picks in mind and you won't have to choose during the build phase, you can choose as the need arises in game!

Hmm, I guess you have a point.

I mean just being able to choose between retribution or mimic's AFTER seeing my opponent's crew could be a really neat trick I guess.

Anything else I might potentially want on Kade/Lelu in this situation? Any other upgrades to be on the look for. I don't have all the cards, and them being spread across 4 books (soon 5) really makes it a mess to keep track of in my head (gimme another 20 games and it'll probably get much much better!)

Another upgrade to consider is fears given form. Especially with Pandora who draws the enemy hand with a lot of single duels and punishes you for being in the wrong spot you can turn that notch up to 11. Yes, fears does not trigger misery but it is another source of damage and another single duel to strain the enemy's hand. Furthermore you have a way to not only target wp. 

I'm wary of Fears Given Form because of how much it'll force me to spread out, given that it also hits friendlies. My first instinct is that it's something I'd much rather have on a single big beatstick meant to take on a bunch of enemies, than on Pandora who likes to bunch up and synergise.

I'd really like it, though, if FGF was available to Enforcers as well...

You can swap Thousand Faces for Fears on turn 2 or 3, as soon as you get stuck in the enemy crew. This way you don't have to be careful how to position your crew turn 1. But I understand your issue. I've just started to play NB myself and recently had one game where I killed half my crew with black blood. It's a lot of small positioning things you have to keep in mind so FgF can be a bit too much.

Re: Fears Given Form

Just played a game (using a completely different crew that had nothing to do with this one) where I used Thousand Faces on Bad Juju to swith into FGF. It was amazing, especially with Eternal Fiend letting Juju pop back up and keep being a nuisance (he IS a little squishy otherwise I find). 

That game made me realise that that's really a fantastic use of Thousand Faces. Fears Given Form is a horrible bitch to deal with, positioning-wise ESPECIALLY in deployment. Thousand Faces lets me bypass this and not "pop it" until I'm in position to plunge into the middle of the enemy crew. A "delivery system" if you will. Just like Greebo said (while I was playing the game).

id have to go with lelu for this list. he has better survivability with lilitu out on the board and is easier to move around. now if you had a teddy id say go with kade simply because of the 15" jump, but without that getting him to where he needs to be takes too long for my taste. plus trying to maximize his dmg output on his attack is difficult with alot of squishy models.

also lelu does synergize decently with lilitu as you had already pointed out. 

I'm not a fan of either model. But having to decide between those two, I'd go for Kade as well. Not because of synergy (well, Box Pandora and Candy are there to trap models in close combat, and Kade can then charge in) but because he can carry the Depression upgrade (I wouldn't take it on Candy) to get his sweepbread trigger more reliably and also to give your Sorrows a ranged attack. Then, you don't have condition removal. This will hurt Lelu and Lilitu alot.

But for a list with so many Sorrows I'd actually take Iggy (a second Martyr + Misery). If you wanted, you could channel off damage from the Sorrows through Pandora to Iggy (who then could be healed by Candy, theoretically).

I'm kinda sad that Iggy is apparently the best thing ever (everybody and their dog seems head over heels in love with him).

The fluff I've seen for him is uninteresting and the model is ugly and boring.

Pretty sure he is easily my least favourite model in the faction. 

Depending on how attached you are to Candy, I'd consider Option C:

Drop Candy & take both Lelu and Kade!  Lelu with his 0ss upgrade & Kade with A Thousand Faces (turn this into either Ret's Eye if there's lots of armour or Df/Wp triggers or Malifaux Provides or Depression).

Otherwise, can you drop a Sorrow & fit both?  I would have thought 2 would be enough...

I would recommend to run FGF and Candy's personal upgrade Best Behavior.  Most players don't realize she has a 3" MI so FGF is excellent on her.  With her own upgrade can put everyone on double negs for her entire AP output is good if she just has to sit in one spot and survive for things like extraction and guard.  Also the zero on it can be useful to get her anywhere in your deployment zone to prevent things like leave your mark.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I'd take neither and take a Doppleganger instead.

Cheating initiative in a Pandora Crew, especially with Candy in it, will be pretty much a requirement.

it also means you can either copy lure or Candy's attacks. And manipulative 14 will cause youre opponent a lot of problems. Especially if you drop a sorrow and take an Insidious Madness.