Montresor now? No

keget

I don't know I think he's alright. With his upgrade, your going to have to jump through a few hoops just to hit him as while your in base contact you might need to pass terrifying (at -1), discard a card to target him, and ultimately beat a Df 6. If you do manage all that then he still has H2W to help keep the damage low. All of that paired with 10Wds is probably where a 9ss model should be. 

He's still more of a card drain on the opponent than an outright damage dealer, but thats okay because outcasts already have that in spades. Also the ease in which he can paralyze should not be undersold and with his whole base contact schtick working better, it's made much more viable. 

I still don't think he's going to set the world on fire or anything, and he's still going to have bad matchups, but he now at least looks like he should play like a 9ss model. Time will tell if thats true or not. 

• Like 3

8 to 10 wounds is actually a pretty interesting shift, especially with H2W from his upgrade further dampening any damage spikes beyond the typical result of a single negative. The "go-to" for punching through H2W and a negative in generally is high min damage, and that usually means a 3 min. 8 to 10, outside of any other factors, means you go from three to four hits to kill. It's also an extra hit against min 2 attacks, and two against min 1 attackers. H2W and Brick By Brick from his upgrade were welcome, but those two wounds will help him be the (albeit killable) tarpit he wants to be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 3:20 PM, Patzer said:

He will be a interesting choice for Misaki now when hes a bit more survivable. If he can catch a model or two, he should be able to drain some cards. 

This. Seriously. This right here. 

When I was playing 10-T Misaki I developed a strong appreciation for discard/card drain effects in conjunction with Misaki's Assassination trigger. Basically as you put more pressure on your opponents hand, the threat of a Misaki-powered assassination run becomes much greater. Every cheat becomes harder for your opponent to justify and discard effects are something to be feared. You don't even need to use Misaki's Assassination trigger. So long as the threat of it is there, your opponent will be freaking out about it and second guessing every card they cheat. 

This is why Montressor should be Misaki's BFF. Everything he has is just a card sink for your opponent, which in turn makes Misaki much, much more threatening.

EDIT: And if that wasn't enough, he also provides a convenient way of pushing Misaki into/out of danger. ;)

• Like 3

I used him for the first time the other day. It was into guard the stash and show of force against soomer.  So pretty much he just sat in the middle and pulled people into him or he just walked to engage someone. 

Also Brick by brick is hilarious when soomer uses bigger hat then you.

I've also been thinking of running him in henchman hardcore along with the nothing beast.

I always used him long before either buff. Montresor is the bane of enemy minions and peons in my experience with his -1 wp aura and pulling them in, since those are the targets least likely to get cards spent on them to avoid his effects. But if he can use his nimble to get into base contact with a single henchman or enforcer he may well be able to paralyze them which is great!

Monty's nightmare scenario is whenever two killy melee enforcers are near him, because its very unlikely he can paralyze both and if they deal enough damage the opponent is probably willing to spend the cards to get them to do serious damage to Monty or possibly kill him.

• Like 1

Had a game this weekend, and Monty tanked like a boss!

Took two turns of Sybelle, two Belles, Carrion Emissary and an occasional bullet from Seamus to take the guy down. 

If I had positioned him better, he would've even survived the ordeal.

Too bad Belles aren't Living and Sybelle is terrifying (all), couldn't risk slapping the big girl with his Wp4

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've been fancying tanky utility-driven crews with Parker lately. You know what happens when there's an Emissary giving out Regen, a hostage doctor giving extra HtW and a daring bandit generating +2SS each turn?

That's right, a certain Ht 3 sharply dressed gentleman with a Wp-debuffing aura, a hand-destroying passive, Nimble and Terrifying 12 catches by surprise a group of other gentlemen of, let's say, definitively Oriental complexion. After which the aforementioned gentleman proceeds to freaking tank 2 full turns of Ototo, Shen Long, Lone Swordsman and some riffraff in a narrow alley in the middle of the board.

Seriously, aside from Wp 4 he's insanely good. Sure, he will die, but he will make them struggle for it. A mere possibility of a Ml6 Focused attack hitting Severe on a 2/4/7 track makes people reconsider their target priority. And he might paralyze someone.

Just don't take him vs Ressers period.

• Like 2