The off-topic closed?

zFiend

Anyway, please don't turn this into a second off topic. We all know what will happen.

Yeah, we do. We don't understand it, though. That's the point we were trying to make.

That's fine. Keep making that point. (I'm not going to address it, as I can't really speak for anyone else in regards to the off topic. But I could comment on the moderation, though it would be very unsurprising: I think our mods do great work. Really, I do.)

Want to comment on moderation and ask why the thread was closed? This seems to be the place, go for it.

Want to start another chat thread? (Which is where this was headed there for a bit). Please don't. :)

• Like 2

So can we read into that statement that the issue was/is not the page count of the off-topic thread but the idea of such a thread? 

Obviously.

Well yeah. Kinda conflicts with the 4500 pages is too much so it got closed explanation and rather indicates we don't want you to talk nothing but topic here. Which makes these a lot less of a community and more of a support page. 

• Like 1

Guys, we've all said our piece about why the OTT was useful and mattered to us.

That said, I don't imagine the decision will change, so maybe it's time to let it go, stop trying to chase the reasons, and deal with the reality - looking for a new place for the irreverent, meandering conversations we all enjoyed.

I really hope Wyrd do give us answers or at least some reasonable explanation why they felt the need to close the OTT down. It's obvious that it built a sense of community here on the forums, to be more specific an international sense of community which is a rare thing these days. It'll be a crying shame if we have to go else were to keep in touch with the friends we've made here. 

• Like 4

Like everyone else I just want an answer as to why? I realise we may just get the reply of 'it ran its course' or 'it was just too big'.  Ok, that's fine but the suggestions coming from Justin above are that we aren't to start another OTT at all.  Which leads me to think it is something Wyrd want to stop full stop.

If that's the case, just give us the official statement or if you would rather not do so in public, PM the guys involved with the reason(s).  We may not like them but would appreciate that closure.

It does seem that we simply can't use the chat function in the same way and PM'ing would be too unwieldy for long term use.  That would mean us seeking alternatives.  But we really can't seriously do this until we know that there are no other options.

All we ask is for some official stance. If there were complaints then let us know..we don't need to know who complained or what it was..

• Like 5

Guys, we've all said our piece about why the OTT was useful and mattered to us.

That said, I don't imagine the decision will change, so maybe it's time to let it go, stop trying to chase the reasons, and deal with the reality - looking for a new place for the irreverent, meandering conversations we all enjoyed.

Hey Mako, nice to hear from you again!

I do feel that if we end up looking for a new place then the forum will lose some good posters as it was literally the OTT that really kept us here.  I know the loss of ten or so posters will not bother too many but it will be sad all the same.

• Like 2

I never used the off-topic thread, but it's obvious that a great many people did and sorely miss its presence.

It also seems as though the idea of 'random chat' thread is not one that Wyrd really wants to get behind. I won't theorize about why that might be as I actually have no idea.

That being said I don't think that the idea of chatting with your friends on this forum has to go either. It might seem a little clunky but perhaps having multiple threads open regarding the various topics that were discussed might work in its stead. Even if they're quite broad in scope. A music discussion thread, a favourite film thread, a Taylor Swift obsession thread or what-have-you. Although it would lack some of the organic nature of the Off-Topic and it's ability to merge from one thing to another at least we'll all still be able to talk rubbish at each other about whatever it is that's on our minds.

As I said before I never used the Off-topic so don't really know how viable a solution this is, I just think that looking for solutions rather than asking after reasons is a happier place to be.

Cheers,

:)

Um.. Thanks for your thoughts. But you seriously don't want us to make those topics separate. Or you will have topics like: which Disney Princess you'd bone, what you ate today, what you listened today, how are you, how's your depression and how can we help, why Benshin is a dick and brings Perdita to friendly games, does Crush_jansen love the cock or not. All this and more.. That was just one hour of topics on the ott. :P

• Like 4

That said, I don't imagine the decision will change

I have always valued Wyrd in that they are very open to suggestions and reconsidering their choices. I don't mean that they will change their decision but I don't see it as impossible. But of course this highly depends on the 'why' - some reasons are more immutable than others.

perhaps having multiple threads open regarding the various topics that were discussed might work in its stead.

I would think that having a single thread instead of a smorgasbord of off-topic threads would be preferable to Wyrd but again it's hard to say since we don't know the reason for the closure.

Um.. Thanks for your thoughts. But you seriously don't want us to make those topics separate. Or you will have topics like: which Disney Princess you'd bone, what you ate today, what you listened today, how are you, how's your depression and how can we help, why Benshin is a dick and brings Perdita to friendly games, does Crush_jansen love the cock or not. All this and more.. That was just one hour of topics on the ott. :P

Good times! *sighs* gooooood times! :D

The problem with starting all those threads is that they would likely just be shut down and we risk getting hit with a ban-hammer/warnings.

If Wyrd provided a good explanation for the thread being shut down then maybe we could accept it but there's no good reason been provided and Justin's vague responses in this thread don't really clarify the situation at all.  Wyrd does a great job of not being 'that' company and allows unboxings/trading'painting of non-Wyrd models present on the website so disallowing the OTP seems like a strange, an unexplainable, decision.

• Like 3

If Wyrd provided a good explanation for the thread being shut down then maybe we could accept it but there's no good reason been provided and Justin's vague responses in this thread don't really clarify the situation at all.

To be fair, I don't think that was Justin's intention. I mean, clearly the he wasn't behind the decision so I can understand him being reluctant to tell us the reasoning (if he even knows - I don't think they've yet perfected the Wyrd hive mind. I hear it's a bit like having an old radio in your head that is almost tuned to a correct station. Often the show itself is a bit incomprehensible, though, featuring lots of swearing and "I wonder if this would work".)

As a complete aside - where is your avatar pic from?

• Like 2

Okay.. 

At this point I am extremely saddened by the fact that apparently our questions doesn't warrant any sort of answer or response. On the contrary we see people who could answer our concerns posting on random needless threads. 

I will take it as there will be no answer to this, why this decision was made and why the discussions on these forums are being downgraded to bare minimum and why the existence of an off-topic thread is clearly not encouraged or actually, it's not allowed. 

This could have been handled way way better. But instead a total ignoring of the issue was implemented and executed in a very visible way. Message received. 

• Like 7

I actually made one, R4st4f4n.

64704265.jpg

That being said, I concur with zFiend. You know me as a guy who values respectful communication, inclusion and openness. The way this issue was handled was pretty much the opposite of that. It's not like I think that we deserve an explanation, I just always thought that Wyrd wouldn't be the kind of company who would not give one.

• Like 6