When does PWU expansion is released?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I asked in 'A Wyrd Place' Facebook group about this recently and there seemed to be some general apathy among the community for the game because it replaced the original one so quickly and doesn't seem to have been taken up as much as Wyrd would have liked which may make supporting it financially un-viable.  I can't comment to the extent that these comments are true or not but I do hope that we get to see some expansions soon.  I only picked the game up recently and have only managed to get in three games of it but I really enjoy it and I really like the miniatures (I've painted a lot of my Super Dungeon Explore stuff so I do like this style of miniatures).  There's so much fantastic art for the puppets I hope we see something.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sold my 1st edtn Puppet wars to fund buying the new set. Ive just started painting the new set and played first game with it tonight - much faster and i think fairer.

I too have my fingers crossed for an expansion set sooner rather than later and would snap it up instantly. The new plastics are gorgeous and full of character

Well obviously no PWU expansion stuff this GenCon season but oh well.

I was hoping we would at least see the finalization of what was already available in metal. It sucks having a game where your options are play an outdated edition or an unfinished one. Perhaps this year it will get some love, though I wont hold my breath.

Just sold my 1st edtn Puppet wars to fund buying the new set. Ive just started painting the new set and played first game with it tonight - much faster and i think fairer.

I too have my fingers crossed for an expansion set sooner rather than later and would snap it up instantly.

I actually really prefer the older edition despite the smaller size of the metal models.

I much prefer the rules of the initial edition. I know a lot of people complained about them but I have never had a problem demoing the game to even non-gamers and having them running the army within a round (I have done this several times at both GenCon and smaller conventions).

I really think the rules were wrongly blamed for the low initial sales when it was the crappy and obscure packaging (boxes were so thin and really didn't show what you were getting for the cost), the high cost ($80.00 static two player game unless you purchased additional "booster" boxes at $15.00 a piece) and the lack of real Malifaux tie-in (I still wonder why they didn't include a Lady Justice and Seamus crew stat cards in each box, especially since the Puppets are "official models" for Wyrd events).

I abhor the new rules which I consider incomplete (aside from not having all the available models) and suffers from poor editing with more than a few undefined residuals from the earlier edition. I am hoping that at some point the Puppets will receive some attention but with every passing year it becomes less and less likely.

• 1 month later...

With most online stores offering both versions at clearance prices it is difficult to say no.

With the original version there are some things to think about;

1) The box is not very durable so you'll need to come up with another storage solution (Battle Foam has some options here).

2) you will need to purchase multiple Pawn packs to be able to field 3 of any non-Master/ Side Kick puppet (though as mentioned a lot of places are clearancing them so you can gets multiples fairly cheap).

3) you may not be able to get your hands on Pokey Vicky, Lucius or the Hooded Rider as they were limited release.

4) you will not be getting any additional content (though you may be able to find a downloadable copy of the Unstictched rule book and new cards or you can access the Puppetwars website for them to convert if Unstitched is ever finalized).

5) the original rules were a bit more cerebral though not difficult.

6) Pawn packaging was a bit wonky so you'll end up with 2 of some and 3 of others, though the pawn boosters are not random packs (thank god!!!)

With Unstitched;

1) Much more durable box and larger board.

2) Not all the original Puppets are available in plastic.

3) The rules feel somewhat unfinished and there are some residuals.

4) The base set includes multiples of each pawn puppet.

5) the models are much larger than the metals so it takes up more storage space.

6) It may be awhile before you see any new content

The models for either edition can be used as their Malifaux equivalents with the additional purchase of a corresponding Arsenal Deck. Either version can be played utilizing Terraclips so that is another selling point.

Hopefully that helps your decision. I am fortunate enough to have both versions and 3 of each metal pawn (without having any extra's).

• Like 1

With regards to storage I have PWU and just put them all back in the box, they are plastic so they are very durable and I intend to do the same once I have painted them.

Battlefoam sells or used to sell an insert that fit in the original Unstitched box that is a great option. The original version (metal models) is far to flimsy to stand up to that though so a separate bag or box is a bit of a necessity.

Is There anywhere a document that summarize all the rules differences between the two versions ?

Unfortunately there isn't one that I recall though you may be able to do a forum search and find some old topics (and you may have to go back a ways to find them) about it.