Ikvar's question corner

Ikvar

Question

I am a hechman with a lot of players, and with a lot of players comes many random questions. However I am also a very busy man, and sometimes I am asked questions that I simply dont know the answer to, or are not certain enough to give a confident answer to them. So instead of letting them wait for weeks, until I have time to look through all the rules, I thought I would make this thread to ask all of you wonderful people!

- And in an attempt to also give something back to you guys, I will be updating this first post with the questions and asnwers I get through the thread. So in time this post will hopefully be able to help some of you guys in return! :)

Q. When does poison activate?

A. Poison condition is resolved in the upkeep phase, which is after all models have activated but before you begin the next turn.

Q. If a character stands at a vantage point(on a cliff), can other characters shoot at him aswell?

A. Vantage point works both ways. if you can see them, they can see you.

Q. Can you buy models and upgrades for you SS cache?

A. You can not spend your starting cache on models or upgrades.

Q. How exactly does cheating on a dmg flip work?

A. You can cheat a damage flip just like a duel, as long as the flip is not subject to a negative flip. the card you place from your hand replaces the flipped card.

Q. How does focus stack and what is the effect?

A1. You can stack focus all you want, just remember it is removed at the end of the turn.

A2. 1+ focus gives 1+ to one action, 2+ focus gives 2+ to one action etc.

Q. When does the 4inch rule apply concerning the vicinity of two scheme markers, and would you get VP if two SM were closer to each other then those 4inches.

A. You can not place a scheme marker within 4inches of each other with the interact action, but if the scheme marker drops from anything else then an interact action, these rules would not apply, and you would indeed get VP even though they are within that lenght.

Q. How exactly does the rules for Vantage Point work?

A. If the model is HT2, and there are 3inches to the edge, there would be no LoS period. However if the Model was HT3, and there are 3inches to the edge, there WOULD be LoS, in which case LoS would be drawn from the characters base ignoring the cliff, and measuring in a diagonal line downwards instead of horizontal. If any line passes through terrain(other then the cliff), of which the targeted model is within 1inch, the target will still get cover, but if any line can still be drawn to the base of the target there will still be LoS making it a valid target.

Q. When does conditions stack?

A. Conditions only stacks if they have a number+ in it, and they have the same name- Poison +1 will therefore stack with poison +2, making the condition +3. the slow condition will however not stack, as there are no number+ in it.

Q. What exactly happens if you loose a horror duel?

Current activation ends. If you are affected by a Horror duel outside your activation (like by an attack spell) then you will forfeit your next activation.

Q. When do you get cover, if you are already within 1inch to the cover?

There must be at least one LOS line that passes through the covering terrain, before you get cover.

Edited by Ikvar

Poison condition is resolved in the upkeep phase, which is after all models have activated but before you begin the next turn.

Vantage point works both ways. if you can see them, they can see you.

You can not spend your starting cache on models or upgrades.

You can cheat a damage flip just like a duel, as long as the flip is not subject to a negative flip. the card you place from your hand replaces the flipped card.

How does focus stack and what is the effect?

As far as I know, you can stack focus all you like, but as it cost 1AP every time, it is very limited who would be able to stack focus more then one time.

- Focus gives you +1 to any duel.

Can someone verify this info before I write it in the first post?^^

It would also be nice if anyone could elaborate Joels answer, as just saying "yes" to my players would most likely just lead to more questions :)

I'm presuming the model on the cliff is *not* considered to be standing on a vantage point?

If that's true, then you don't both to measure or check "model's eye view" (in fact in Malifaux, the amount of visible model ie. seeing more than half of each other, isn't relevant at all).

Instead, if there is no vantage point, you just measure horizontally, checking for intervening blocking terrain.

If the cliff *is* considered to be a vantage point, then it depends on the Ht of the model on the cliff. She is 3" away, so she would have to be Ht3 or more to see over the edge (and to be seen in return).

I'm afraid I'm not sure whether it should be classed as vantage point terrain or not.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

PS.

You can stack focus as much as you like. The entire stack drops off at the end of the turn though.

When you spend Focus on a non-focus action, I believe you must spend the entire stacked on that action for multiple + flips. You can't ration it out across multiple actions

I'm presuming the model on the cliff is *not* considered to be standing on a vantage point?

If that's true, then you don't both to measure or check "model's eye view" (in fact in Malifaux, the amount of visible model ie. seeing more than half of each other, isn't relevant at all).

Instead, if there is no vantage point, you just measure horizontally, checking for intervening blocking terrain.

If the cliff *is* considered to be a vantage point, then it depends on the Ht of the model on the cliff. She is 3" away, so she would have to be Ht3 or more to see over the edge (and to be seen in return).

I'm afraid I'm not sure whether it should be classed as vantage point terrain or not.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

PS.

You can stack focus as much as you like. The entire stack drops off at the end of the turn though.

When you spend Focus on a non-focus action, I believe you must spend the entire stacked on that action for multiple + flips. You can't ration it out across multiple actions

So I could say something like- if the model is HT2, and there are 3inches to the edge, there would be no LoS period. However if the Model was HT3, and there are 3inches to the edge, there WOULD be LoS, in which case LoS would be drawn from the characters base ignoring the cliff, and measuring in a diagonal line downwards instead of horizontal. If any line passes through terrain, of which the targeted model is within 1inch, the target will still get cover, but if any line can still be drawn to the base of the target there will still be LoS making it a valid target?

- Have I understood the rules correctly, or are there anything I have missed or need to be aware of with these rules?

Edited by Ikvar

Another question this time about scheme markers- I know that you can not place a scheme marker within 4 of another friendly scheme marker, but does this mean that it wont count towards VP, or is it simply never allowed to place a friendly scheme marker within 4inches?

Example:

There are many creatures that drops scheme markers when they die, so if two of these creatures dies within 3inches of each other, would I simply have to remove/not place one of them?

The rule preventing Scheme Markers within 4" of each other is only on the Interact Action to place a Scheme Marker. Finish the Job and the like have no such restriction.

You cannot take the Interact Action to place a Scheme Marker if there is another Scheme Marker within 4" of where you place the new one.

The rule preventing Scheme Markers within 4" of each other is only on the Interact Action to place a Scheme Marker. Finish the Job and the like have no such restriction.

But if we continue with my example then- would both of those scheme markers then count towards VP?

You cannot take the Interact Action to place a Scheme Marker if there is another Scheme Marker within 4" of where you place the new one.

I see you dont mention anything about friendly scheme markers, does this mean that the 4inch rule also applies with the enemy scheme markers?

But if we continue with my example then- would both of those scheme markers then count towards VP?

Yes. Absolutely.

I see you dont mention anything about friendly scheme markers, does this mean that the 4inch rule also applies with the enemy scheme markers?

It's friendly. You could place one right next to an enemy one.

Yes, to counting for VP. And No, to enemy Scheme Marker proximity mattering.

The proximity to other friendly Scheme Markers only matters to the method through which they are placed. A normal interact action requires 4" of clearance between them (and the text in the book states friendly Scheme Markers). If a trait or action drops a scheme marker but doesn't state any restrictions, then the distance between the new marker and the existing marker(s) is irrelevant. Once placed, they would be valid for whatever Scheme/Strategy they apply to.

-DavicusPrime

Scheme markers can actually be within 4" of each other. Dropping scheme markers close with Finish the job is ok.

It's just when dropping markers using the Interact Action, that they can't be within 4" of each other. The limit is on the Interact Action only. Not the marker itself.

Edit: Sorry! Missed that the question was answered on the next page...

It would be really awsome if someone could answer me on the whole LoS thing- and for those who cant be bothered, I am just going to quote myself in the hopes that someone will answer ^^

"So I could say something like- if the model is HT2, and there are 3inches to the edge, there would be no LoS period. However if the Model was HT3, and there are 3inches to the edge, there WOULD be LoS, in which case LoS would be drawn from the characters base ignoring the cliff, and measuring in a diagonal line downwards instead of horizontal. If any line passes through terrain, of which the targeted model is within 1inch, the target will still get cover, but if any line can still be drawn to the base of the target there will still be LoS making it a valid target?

- Have I understood the rules correctly, or are there anything I have missed or need to be aware of with these rules?"

Edited by Ikvar

A side question about conditions in relationship to abilities.

- Whiskey Golem have the tactical action called "Fine" Craftmanship, which gives him the condition Iron Bound, which gives the model +2DF. Now the condition "Iron Bound" does not have a number, which would imply that it does not stack, meaning I can not use this ability to stack my DF to +4... However the effect of Iron Bound, does have a number(+2df as mentioned before). So can this ability stack or not?

Got some new questions for you guys ^^

When you loose a terrifying duel, will you loose your current turn, or are you paralyzed the next turn?

When you use SS to choose a suit, do you then add the suit or do you simply change the current suit on the card- fx if you get a ram and use SS to get a tome, would you then have both a tome and a ram, or have you simple changed the ram to a tome?

Can you charge up climbable terrain?

How exactly does the rule about getting cover if you are within 1inch of a certain terrain work?

- we had a very awkward situation where a model was attacked from behind, but the model that was attacked from behind was 1inch within hard cover from the front... would the model really get hard cover even in this situation?

Bold mine.

Got some new questions for you guys ^^

When you loose a terrifying duel, will you loose your current turn, or are you paralyzed the next turn?

Current activation ends. If you are affected by a Horror duel outside your activation (like by an attack spell) then you will forfeit your next activation.

When you use SS to choose a suit, do you then add the suit or do you simply change the current suit on the card- fx if you get a ram and use SS to get a tome, would you then have both a tome and a ram, or have you simple changed the ram to a tome?

Add. You would have a Ram and a Tome in your example.

Can you charge up climbable terrain?

I'd have to double-check my book to be sure, so I'll let that one go for now.

How exactly does the rule about getting cover if you are within 1inch of a certain terrain work?

- we had a very awkward situation where a model was attacked from behind, but the model that was attacked from behind was 1inch within hard cover from the front... would the model really get hard cover even in this situation?

LoS to the target MUST pass through the covering terrain.........this is spelled out very well in the new FAQ for January and is worth a look.