M2E plastics

zFiend

Okay so.

I have the Yan Lo and Dark Debts + some other plastics. I read just that someone got the Rail crew and another board member wished him good luck with it.

Now there's been released some new ones and there is coming up even more and very exciting models in plastics.

How are the new ones? Are they as hard to build? Do they feel durable? Compared to the older ones I mean. I can't but fear the upcoming Gremlins for example. I am really warming up to the sculpts I have seen and started anxiously waiting for some (Marcus, McMourning) but I have some reservations.

So far the only plastic kits I've assembled are Lazarus and Miss Step.

Lazarus was actually a really well designed model. It went together very well and the articulated joints meant there was a lot of ease and flexibility in posing.

Miss Step was more difficult to assemble with all the little bits. And the spindly legs, arms and cables make me skeptical regarding her durability.

Being able to use plastic glue on them means that ultimately, the bonds will be stronger and more resilient than the typical Superglue on metal. And plastics do survive the whoopsies (being dropped and what-not) way better than the metals. Add to that the fact that you don't have chipping problems with the paint like metals typically do. This all adds up to even the more fragile sculpts on the new plastics being quite resilient to wear and tear as long as you aren't too careless.

Honestly, if I didn't already have a bunch of time & money sunk into the metals I own, I'd replace most of them without hesitation.

-DavicusPrime

Ive had absolutely no problems with the rail crew. not sure why that was said. And as far as the plastics go from my experience (coming from someone with at least 5 crews per faction), the plastics have been way easier than the metals.

My miss step was a godsend compared to the original metal H. Langston.

...My miss step was a godsend compared to the original metal H. Langston.

Agreed. Though I really do prefer the old Howie's looks compared to Miss Step and the new Howie. The beefiness of the old model's legs just says enforcer to me. Though, it took me forever to assemble him and reassembling him after he got dropped once.

My opinion of the new Howie may change once I see him in person.

-DavicusPrime

I think I will get the Marcus box on January and see how that's like. It's just that I am really warming up to the Gremlins for some reason but at the same time I'm a bit worried how the minis are to assemble and how fragile they are are. I already managed to break Izamu (one of the back flags), Mr. Tannen (burned it with glue) and one beckoner on assembly, also I glued Lynch 's head on my shirt sleeve and spent an hour looking for it.

I have put together the Uni. of Transmortis models, and while they are nice models (a places where details appear soft/non-existent) and relatively simple to put together there is definitely an issue where the top heavy models have their feet separate from their legs (and thus the rest of the model) as you not only have to ensure the feet line up on the base to get a good fit with the legs but also that the bonds are strong enough to take the weight of the model when the join is very small.

Miss Step does have some fiddly cables, but they were less fiddly than the Strongarm suit's ones so I think the design team is getting better at the balance between tiny details and snapping your tubes.

True, but they did think ahead and give us an extra cable with the Strongarm Suit (that I should have used, but decided to just piece together the one that snapped). That puts my broken plastics count up to both Nathan Hangeds ropes (one of which was broken upon delivery and the other that broke while removing it from the sprue despite being careful), one 10T Archer arrow, and that cable (maybe one or two more items I cannot recall at the moment). Mind you, that is from the entire line of Wyrd plastics prior to second edition. So, all in all, I'd say the plastics are quite durable when properly fitted and assembled using plastic cement. Heck, my Torakage take the whole ninja vanish thing so seriously that they usually fly off the table when they disappear.

Aside from Miss Step and Tara & Co., I cannot vouch for M2E plastics. But if they're any indication, they are just as good as, if not better than the previous plastics.

Edited by i_was_like_you

I put together a bunch of the older and newer Mali plastics (Rail Crew, Yan Lo et al, J Lynch, UoT, Seamus, Lazarus, etc) and find them to be phenomenal. Even the small bits fit well. I wonder what people are referring to when stating they are difficult to build? Now painting them? Whole other story, lol. ;)

My only complaints are where the pieces are broken up- there are a number of seams that could have been made less prominent, and quite a few models could have been made with fewer pieces with only marginal loss of detail... and fewer pieces would mean there are fewer to get lost and they're easier to find when they fall in the carpet...

The joins and detail and everything about how they come together looks amazing in the end.