Errata/FAQ Live

Justin

Question

Hey all,

The first official FAQ/ errata of M2E is posted up on malifaux.com. Also, the floated post at the top of this forum has been updated, so please check it out.

The FAQ document is located here. Check it out and feel free to discuss it in this thread. I will likely lock this thread after about a week so it doesn't endlessly get bumped, but it's a good place for initial reactions. :)

:+fate on the thread.

and for those who can't access the Malifaux site, at the moment, Here's the plain text.

Malifaux Second Edition FAQ 11-1-13

The purpose of this Frequently Asked Questions document is to address questions on individual situations which players may find confusing. These are not changes to the rules, simply clarifications for the convenience of Malifaux players. Each question is a

bout an individual situation, and may not necessarily apply to other situations.

There is also a section with errata at the end of this document.

This document is updated every other month;

the next update will be 1-1-14.

Core Rules Questions

Q: If a model

has the Focus +1 Condition, can it remove the Condition at the start of a Charge Action in order to gain the bonus to all Attacks generated by the Charge Action?

A: No. It would have to remove the Condition at the start of a single Attack which was generated by Charge and it would only gain the bonus for the duration of that Attack. Other Actions which generate Attack Actions (such as Flurry, Rapid Fire, etc) function in the same way in regards to Focus.

Q: If a model is killed by a Condition, which Crew counts as having made the kill?

A: No model or Crew counts as having made the kill.

Q: If a model is killed by an Ability or Action, which Crew

counts as having made the kill?

A: When a model is killed as the result of an Action, the Crew controlling the A

ction counts as having made the kill. If a model is killed by an Ability, the model with the Ability counts as having made the kill.

Q: If a model is killed by falling damage

or hazardous terrain, which Crew counts as having made the

kill?

A:No model or

Crew counts as having made the kill.

Q: Can you define the terms “base contact” and “base to base contact”?

A: They both mean the same thing: “When the bases of two or more models are physically touching.”

Q: Does a model have Line of Sight (LoS) to itself?

A: Yes.

Q: If an opposing Crew is temporarily controlling a model, which Crew cheats/spends Soulstones for it?

A: The Crew which controls the model cheats and spends any Soulstones for the model.

Q: Can a model spend multiple Soulstones to add multiple suits on a single Action?

A: No, only one Soulstone may be spent to add one suit per Action.

Q:Does being immune to damage caused by pulses make

a model immune to the damage caused by

failing a Simple Duel, if the Simple Duel was generated by a pulse?

Q: If a model has multiple effects on it which end at the end of the Turn, in what order do they resolve?

A: The model’s controller chooses the order in which the effects resolve. See the End Phase section in the rulebook, pg. 35.

Q: Can a model use a Soulstone to prevent damage which may not be reduced?

A: Yes. Damage prevention is different than damage reduction.

Q: Can a model spend a Soulstone to prevent damage dealt by the Poison Condition?

Q: When a model which was buried is being unburied, who places the model?

A: The controller of the model which describes how the model is unburied places the model unless otherwise noted. For example, if a Death Marshal buries a model and then the model becomes unburied because the Death Marshal is killed, the Death Marshal unburies the model and therefor determines its placement. However, if Bete Noire is unburied by her Drawn to Death Ability, her controller unburies her.

Q: Can a model which is currently buried declare Triggers?

A: No. However, if they are targeted by an Attack, they may cheat and use Soulstones as usual.

Q: Some Actions say they can only be taken once per Turn. If a model takes an Action which states it can only be taken once per Turn and fails, can it take the A

ction again?

What if another model uses an Action such as Obey on the model, can it take the Action again?

A: No. A model which has an Action with the “once per Turn” restriction may only take that Action once per Turn.

Q: If a model suffers 0 (zero) damage, does it count as having suffered damage?

A: No.

Q: Can a Crew hire one totem, and then summon another totem during the course of the game?

A: Yes, although frequently models which can do this have some sort of built in restriction. Check the individual model’s card.

Q: When shooting into an engagement, can models which are

not within LoS of the model which is shooting end up becoming the target of the Attack

due to randomization?

Q: When shooting into an engagement, do you flip cards for models w

hich are not technically engaged with the target, so long as they are within 2” of the target?

Q: When shooting into an engagement, what if every model which would be randomized has a rule which states a card is not flipped for it? For example, if Santiago is shooting into an engagement between a friendly Family model and a Doppleganger

and no other models are within 2”?

A: If there are no models within 2” of the target (including the target)

which may have a card flipped for them when shooting into an engagement, then the target is chosen normally without any

randomization.

Q: Some Abilities and Actions have lowering a Condition value as a cost. For example, “This model may lower its Poison Condition value by 1 to do something.” C

an the Condition value be lowered below 0 as the cost of such an Action? In other words, would a model be able to use the above Action if it was not affected by the Poison Condition at all?

Q: I’m a little confused about how you score VP from the Cursed Object scheme (rulebook pg. 69),could you explain that a bit?

A: Sure. If your Crew chose the Cursed Object scheme, the

n at the end of the Turn (during the Earn Victory Points step, rulebook pg. 35) you may end the Cursed Object Condition on one enemy model to earn one VP. An Action does not need to be taken to end the Condition in this way, simply choose one enemy model with the Cursed Object Condition, announce that you would like to remove the Cursed

Object Condition from that model, and earn one VP. Only one VP may be earned this way per Turn.

Actions/Abilities Found Across Multiple Factions

Q: If a model is removed from play (killed, sacrificed, etc) during its Activation, can it use the Accomplice Ability before it is removed from play? Can other models within range use the Companion Ability?

Q: Can the Magical Extension Action be taken if the Crew’s Leader is not in play?

Q: The Melee Expert Ability states, “This model gains 1 additional AP which may only be used to take Ml Actions.” Can AP from Melee Expert be used to take Actions which aren’t Ml Actions, for example,

Charge?

Q: Does the Hard to Kill Ability count as damage reduction? In other words, do Attacks

and damage that ignore “damage reduction” prevent Hard to Kill?

A: No, Hard to Kill is not damage reduction. Attacks and damage which ignore damage reduction would not ignore Hard to Kill.

Q: It seems that there are two different wordings

for the Hard to Kill Ability (for example on Joss’s and

Cojo’s cards). Which wording is correct?

A: Both wordings play the same way. However, they should have been consistent. The correct wording is found on Cojo’s card: “

Hard to Kill:While this model has 2 or more Wd remaining when it suffers

damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 Wd.”

Q: If a model with the Lure Action targets a model in base contact, can Lure be used to move the

targeted model, so long as it ends in base contact with the model taking the Lure Action?

A: No. A model which is already in base

contact may not be

moved any further with the Lure Action

Q: A model with the Incorporeal Ability ignores terrain when it moves. If it is on the ground floor of a

building which is 10” tall, can it end its move on top of the building, even if its Wk stat

is less than 10,

since it ignores the building while moving?

Same question for a model with Flight in regards to vertical

terrain.

A: No. Although measurements in Malifaux are generally made from a top down view, vertical distances

are measured while moving a model (see pg. 42 of the rulebook, Movement & Terrain). If the model

with Incorporeal ends its move on top of the 10” tall building, it would have moved 10” and, unless it

has a Wk of 10 or greater, this is not a legal move.

However, if the Incorporeal model has a sufficient Wk stat to complete the move, it would be able to end the move on top of the terrain, ignoring the usual rules for climbing, etc.

Flight works similarly, except in the case of Enclosed terrain (see Enclosed terrain, rulebook pg. 60).

Q: The Incorporeal Ability allows a model to reduce all damage it suffers from Sh and Ml Actions by

half. Is the damage rounded up or down? For example, if an Incorporeal model suffers 3 damage from

an Ml Action, is the damage reduced to 2 or 1?

A: The damage is rounded up. So, an Incorporeal model suffering 3 damage from an Ml Action would

reduce that damage to 2.

Q: Does Diving Charge allow the model to ignore LoS while taking a Charge Action?

Q:If a model with the Finish the Job Ability is killed, can it place a Scheme Marker within 4”

of another friendly Scheme Marker (or while engaged)?

A: Yes. Finish the Job is not an interact Action, so the restrictions on using the (1) interact Action to place

Scheme Markers do not apply.

Guild

Q: Can the Austringer’s Deliver Orders Action be used to make a model take an interact Action if the model usually would not be able to? For example, if the target is engaged?

A: No. The Austringer’s Deliver Orders Action allows the model to make an interact Action,

so all usualrules for interact Actions must be followed.

Q: If a Guild model has the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade and is temporarily controlled by an enemy (for

example: during Obey) can the enemy choose to discard the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade if it is taking

an Sh Action against a model which can use Soulstones?

Resurectionists

Q:When a model is suffering damage from Poison and it is within range of Sebastian’s Induction

Ability, increasing the Poison damage being dealt, can the damage be reduced?

A: No. Damage dealt by the Poison Condition may not be reduced.

Q: If a model with 2 wounds remaining is killed by the Poison Condition while within range of

Sebastian’s Induction Ability, does Sebastian count as having killed the model?

A: No, the damage is still dealt by the Poison Condition, Induction just causes Poison to deal more

damage.

Q: If a model is affected by both the Hallucinogens and Uppers Conditions (applied by the Nurse),

what can it do when it Activates?

A: Not very much. It would not be able to declare any Actions during that Activation as there are no

Actions which would satisfy the requirements of both Conditions.

Q: The Nurse’s Take Your Meds Action specifies that it must declare a Trigger. What if the model

taking the Action is unable to declare Triggers?

A: Then the Action would not be able to declare any Triggers.

Neverborn

Q: If a model with Armor is within range of multiple models with the Misery Ability and the model fails a Wp duel, does it suffer 1 damage from each model with the Misery Ability? Or does it suffer “one lump sum” of damage which it would then be able to reduce with Armor?

A: It would suffer 1 damage from each model with the Misery Ability separately.

Q: Does the Fear Given Form Ability affect friendly models within the aura? Does it affect the model

the Upgrade is attached to?

A: Yes, friendly models are affected. No, the model with the Upgrade attached is not affected.

Outcasts

Q: Can Tara use her Temporal Shift Action when she has zero cards in hand?

A: Yes. The discard portion of the Action is an effect, not a cost.

Q: With Tara’s Stutter Time, can she reflip a result which was already reflipped?

A: No, a single Tara may only reflip the result once.

Q: If the opponent is flipping to end the encounter, can Tara use the Stutter Time Ability to force them to reflip? If so, who flips the card?

A: Yes, she can. The opponent would flip the new card from their own deck.

Q: Tara’s Obliteration Symbiote Upgrade gives her Actions which target buried models, can she target

buried models with them even though she doesn’t have LoS?

Q: When Karina uses her Long Forgotten Magics ability to make a model that would be killed

sacrificed instead, does Karina count as having sacrificed the model for encounter purposes?

A: No, the model which originally made the kill counts as having sacrificed the model. Karina’s Ability

simply changes the model’s state from “killed” to “sacrificed.”

Q: Can the Just Like You Action on the Malifaux Child be taken if the Crew’s Leader is not in play?

Gremlins

Q:If the Brewmaster has used the Drinking Contest Action and a model declares a Charge against him

from outside of the three inch aura, will it have to take a Wp duel to Attack the Brewmaster with the

Attacks generated by the Charge Action if it ends the Charge inside the aura?

Ten Thunders

Q: With Jakob Lynch’s Ace in the Hole Ability, can he only place aces which were flipped directly offthe top of the deck into his hand? Or can he place aces into his hand which had been cheated/discarded as well?

A: He can place any aces into his hand which ended up in the discard pile, regardless of whether they

were cheated, discarded, flipped, etc. The language “When an ace from this Crew’s deck...” is simply

meant to clarify that Jakob cannot place aces from his opponent’s deck into his hand.

Q:When Mei Feng triggers Thundero us Smash from Jackhammer Kick does she push into base with

the enemy model before or after it is pushed 3" away?

A: Thunderous Smash is a trigger with the language “after damaging” which means that it is applied

after Step 5: Determine Success of an opposed duel (rulebook pg. 32). During Step 5 the results of the Action are applied and one of the results of Jackhammer Kick is being pushed into base contact. So, Mei

Feng would push into base contact, and then the target would be pushed due to the

Thunderous Smash Trigger.

Q: What happens if Mei Feng targets Pandora with Jackhammer Kick? What happens first, Pandora’s

Fading Memory, or the push from Jackhammer Kick?

A: Fading Memory occurs immediately after success, and the push portion of Jackhammer Kick occurs

when applying the results of success or failure. Fading Memory would happen first, pushing Pandora. Then Mei Feng would be pushed into base contact due to Jackhammer Kick.

Malifaux Second Edition Errata 11-1-13

An errata is a change to an already existing rule. Errata differs from an FAQ in that an FAQ is a

clarification, where an errata is a change to the rules. A PDF of each card which received an errata is

available for download through this {the original}document. Additionally, all the cards listed here will be included in the Wave 2 Arsenal Decks at no additional charge to increase the availability of their official versions. Errata to the core rules will be included in subsequent printings of the rulebook.

Core Rules Pg. 37, “Zero AP Actions” Call Out Box: Change the text of the call out box to: “Some models will have Actions that have an AP cost of 0. A model may take only one of these “free” Actions per Activation.”

The text was changed to clarify that one zero Action may be taken per Activation rather than per Turn.

Guild

Diestro: Add restriction, “non-Master.”

Neverborn

Barbaros: Change base size from 30mm to 40mm.

Nexus of Power:Change text of Nexus to: “Friendly models in a heal 1 damage after resolving an Action in which they spent one or more Soulstones on something other than a damage prevention flip.”

Gremlins

Jug Rocket:

Change the text of (0) YourTurn! to: “Target other friendly Kin within 2” is placed anywhere within 8” of this model. The target may not take interact Actions until the end of the Turn.”

My Threatenin’ Gun:

Change the text of the (1)BOOM! Action to: “(1) BOOM!(Sh6 / Rst:Df/ Rg:z10):Target suffers 3/4/6 damage. Models damaged by this Attack Action must take a TN 13 Horror Duel.

After this Action is taken, discard this Upgrade.”

The Trigger is unchanged.

Change the text of the(0) Move It! Action to:“Target other friendly Kin within 8” immediately takes a

(1) Action. The target suffers-on any duels during that Action.”

Ten Thunders

Fuhatsu:Add a TN of 10 to theMadman With a Gatling Gun Action

Edited by Dracomax
formatting from copy paste

Bout what I expected on the Gremlin stuff. Only thing that confuses me is the Misery ruling.

Based on what the book says about stacking, I thought that Misery stacked up, then other stuff happens. Big reason for that Pandora upgrade who's name I'm blinking on.

The damage from misery stacks in a sense, but its not from one source so models take one point of damage at a time from each source. The upgrade pretty much means you can't soul stone prevent any of the damage from Misery, however if you take 3 points from misery, you would need to make 3 different damage preventions to stop each point of damage. Also, armor wouldn't play a factor, because it always reduces to a minimum of 1, even if you have armor +10.

I'm in favour of every one of these updates and changes except for one.

Misaki needs LoS to Diving Charge.

So she can't dive over a 40mm based model? Like Gupps, or Hoarcats? Doesnt feel quite as athletic any more!

Well, those are Ht 1 and Misaki is Ht 2 so if that's all that's in her way she would have LoS...

*I make posts like this to see if I'm totally missing something, please correct me if I'm wrong*

I'm still not following. Sticking with examples in the stacking section, if you have models with Rush of magic, you draw multiple cards, then discard multiple cards, not draw one discard one, draw one discard one. I'm having a disconnect here.

Assuming you are talking about Misery, its because the auras aren't conditions. They are effects of the individual model, and resolve seperately as such.

Well, those are Ht 1 and Misaki is Ht 2 so if that's all that's in her way she would have LoS...

*I make posts like this to see if I'm totally missing something, please correct me if I'm wrong*

You're right. Serves me right for picking exaggerated examples to illustrate my point ;)

But still, the Misaki in my head could leap over a Flesh Construct, or Kang, at least as effectively as a Sabertooth Cerberus could.

Well, for one, you don't need to the best at something for it to be fun or good.

And for two, what she's not the best at anymore is melee, which, as a gunfighter, she never should have been.

Shooting anything she wants on the enemy deployment turn one maybe?

Meh, I find that to be boring. I quite enjoyed wading her and her bro into the thick of it...now she is just a plain shooter, imo. No big, play her if you want. I have lots-o-crews, so I'll just play them. ;)

*with El Mayor, I can still sort of get away with it, but it's just not the same. Also, not saying she isn't good anymore--just a lil boring to me.

Thanks so much for the clarification of how incorporeal and flying models change height.

Do unimpeded models have a similar advantage? RAW I would say no because Unimpeded grants a boon for severe terrain and height does not mention "severe" although they have a similar 1" to 2" cost.

It just seems that "Unimpeded" models such as Cojo should be able to scale a mountain without slowing down. It's hard for me to visualize how Death Marshals and Samael Hopkins are Unimpeded in the same way though.