New to Mali

Rathpex

Hi all,

I have been a long time fan of this game and I have been convinced by my mate to get on board.

I picked up the following at Gencon

rulebook

retro card deck

tara box set

seamus box set

blind ninja chick box set

The zombie scenario thing

im just looking for some advice on what the best way to start would be? Should I just try the faction box sets first and see what appeals?

they said that the Tara box set may not be the best to learn with. Thoughts?

thanks all

Yes, it is lady justice.

I should read the rules so I know exactly how forming a team/army/(what is it called?) works.

I was told that Tara can use the three guys from the lady justice kit and she makes them undead.

Is there anywhere that I can get background fluff from please? I've read the little timeline in the m2e book. I have dl'd the old magazines which look to be interesting.

Thanks

Yes, it is lady justice.

I should read the rules so I know exactly how forming a team/army/(what is it called?) works.

I was told that Tara can use the three guys from the lady justice kit and she makes them undead.

Is there anywhere that I can get background fluff from please? I've read the little timeline in the m2e book. I have dl'd the old magazines which look to be interesting.

Thanks

Tara's background story can be found here in the "Dead of Winter Story":

http://www.malifaux.com/Downloads/DeadofWinter.pdf

The rest of the Malifaux fluff can be found in the Malifaux rulebooks 1-4 and "Wyrd Chronicles" downloads available on this page:

http://www.malifaux.com/Downloads.php

Edited by Fenton Crack
spelling

Hey Rathpex, congrats on getting into the game - its in the middle of a huge change right now, and with the start of a new edition, definitely a good time to get in on it!

In terms of fluff, a lot of it is spread out through the 4 1st edition rulebooks, talking about the Masters, the state of the world... if you have a friend that you know is into Malifaux, see if you can borrow the first rulebook, because it sets up the background well. In terms of newer 'fluff', the Wyrd Chronicles are a great place to get it from. Also, Tara is actually a Master that was 'made' from the Winter campaign at the start of the year.

Tara can, as an upgrade, be able to hire the Death Marshalls - a lot of people are setting her up to take them as an upgrade, so you have some nice cross-over in your armies already for plenty of different styles.

Maybe some 'new person tips' I could think of -

Lady J was considered one of THE starter boxes in first edition because she was a straight forward crew, like a lot of guild ends up being - go in guns blazing, sword out and at the ready. She's great for that.

However, Malifaux is an amazing game because the game's schemes and strategies are very varied, and it is possible to win in some situations without having a very aggressive crew. Don't be afraid to take other approaches to the game, and just have fun with it. Each of the armies you have picked up is dangerous for completely different reasons. Enjoy that, and don't get good with just one crew, but a few - you'll be a better player if you learn that way.

I hope you enjoy, and have some people to learn the game with!

As for my two cents on learning via personal demo, I suggest opening up that University of Transmortis box, assembling the figures, and playing a solo scenario against them (unless you have someone else to demo with; that's always better), following the M2E rules, likely making use of The Judge and the three Death Marshals.

Does anyone else here agree that a) this is a good plan, and B) this is the best use of U of T in this or any other context?

~Lil Kalki

Ideally get soemone who knows the game to teach you. I would suggest playing small games to start with to get the rules straight in your head, using just figures from the starter boxes and even then only a few at a time.

Justice and 2 death marshals against Seamus and 2 belles (+2 soulstone in his cache) could make a decent intro game (at 12 stones) to learn what the figures do as well as the rules.

After playing that start looking at different figures, or upgrades and see how they can change the game.

If you can't find some one to play against then the single player stuff in the Transmortis box is a start. I've not played the single player yet so can't say how good or bad it is to use to learn, but it does at least give you the option to play the game on your own

Ideally get soemone who knows the game to teach you. I would suggest playing small games to start with to get the rules straight in your head, using just figures from the starter boxes and even then only a few at a time.

Justice and 2 death marshals against Seamus and 2 belles (+2 soulstone in his cache) could make a decent intro game (at 12 stones) to learn what the figures do as well as the rules.

Just to point out, these are technically not legal armies -- masters have a minimum game size to be used, now.

Still, with that caveat, this would work fine. Using the Henchmen in the sets would be just as valid, though, I would think, and have the bonus of properly adhering to the crew construction rules. I'm not well-versed with Seamus' crew, but I know that the Judge would make a fine learning leader.