My death Marshall costume

Utterkhaos

ok so i have been working on this for 2 months and this is to show case my prop. the coffin. im takeing a bus to gen con so i had to make this not only life size but collapse able and light weight enough to carry around the convention.

ok so i started with 3 lengths of pvc pipe and cut them into 8 3ft sections. then i cut 4 10" pieces and 2 5" sections. i connected the 3' sections with straight junction pipes. i put 45 degree junctions at the top of each then connected the 5" pipes to anouther 45 degree connection. this formed the frame

i then bought 6 yards of duck cloth. and messured it to the frame. it came out like this

post-5682-13911930386684_thumb.jpg

after lots of sewing and spray painting the pipes it so far looks like this.

post-5682-13911930387144_thumb.jpg

next im cutting the side strips and velcrowing them to the sides to make the coffin whole.

Ok so coffin is now 90% finished. Here are the pics of the side panels Velcro on and the wood pattern I drew on. The last part I need to make is the chains.

post-5682-13911930392339_thumb.jpg

post-5682-13911930392774_thumb.jpg

post-5682-13911930393226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Utterkhaos

As a person looking to pursue costume design in the near future as an occupation, i am thoroughly impressed by your ingenuity with regards to the pine box. :)

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: can we also have a template and price quotes for the materials? I kind of want to do this for halloween now. :)

Edited by Kalkris

Looks good. Be sure to post more pictures when you complete it, and plenty from Gencon.

Were you going to just use a strap to put it on your back or...?

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

very cool,.. but why Guild?? Neverborn are better,...

*come to the darkside,.. we have cookies *sagely nod*

Anyone have the abs to pull off Barbaros?

Can't wait to see this at GenCon. :)

Cool! But why a fabric coffin? Why not use 1/2 insulation foam like we use on game terrain? I've used to great effect to create many set pieces in the past.., you could carve all the wood grain into it too.

Can't wait to see more!

Fabric is becase I need to fit the pipes and everything into a small suitcase lol.

I'm going to attach it to myself with plastic chains that I'm getting from a hardwear store painted silver. Then I'm going to attach them to a spot on the pipes and make basically a shoulder sash using a carabiner to be able to take it off.

Prices... About 30 for the frame don't get Pre cut pipe that double the costs. Buy a PVC pipe cutter. The junction connectors are like 1$ a peice. Also as a note I used 1/2 inch pipes for weight. The cloth is expensive and I might have bought to much ill know tomarrow when I finish the cloth. The last expense will be the Velcro yo hold on the sides. I have been trying to think of a way to make this so it opens so people can get in it.

My death marshal costume is simple...well at least for me. I have a trench coat from my doctor who 10th doctor costume. So I bought a black cowboy hat and a children's cow boy set for the pistols. I'm painting them silver but leavening the tip orrange. And last but not least a black bandana and if I can find it some makeup to make me look hallow.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

As a person looking to pursue costume design in the near future as an occupation, i am thoroughly impressed by your ingenuity with regards to the pine box. :)

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: can we also have a template and price quotes for the materials? I kind of want to do this for halloween now. :)

the template is literally the frame pipping ill take a picture of that when I take it apart next time so you can see the pipes.

Prices so far

30$ in pipes

60$ in fabric I may have to much

5$ spray pint for pipes

10$ chains

Marshal

5$ bandana

10$ cowboy kit

20$ cowboy hat

300$ trench coat ( mines the bbc replica coat for doctor who.....yours will be cheaper lol)

A question for you: How do you keep the frame from collapsing on itself when assembled? Do you use another few bits of PVC piping at the corners to hold it taught? If so, how do you attach them? If not... TELL ME YOUR SECRETS lol

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: Also, what angles of joiner piping do you need? Like, is it two 105 degree, two 120 degree, and two 135 degree? I was never good with that kind of geometry (so hence why I won't try to construct a wooden toe pincher lol).

Edited by Kalkris

A question for you: How do you keep the frame from collapsing on itself when assembled? Do you use another few bits of PVC piping at the corners to hold it taught? If so, how do you attach them? If not... TELL ME YOUR SECRETS lol

~Lil Kalki

EDIT: Also, what angles of joiner piping do you need? Like, is it two 105 degree, two 120 degree, and two 135 degree? I was never good with that kind of geometry (so hence why I won't try to construct a wooden toe pincher lol).

The top 4 are 45 degree joints. And after I velcroed the fabric I pit PVC pipes in the top loops that are held just with pressure it worked surprisingly well. If you get to go to gen con ill let you mollest it

The top 4 are 45 degree joints. And after I velcroed the fabric I pit PVC pipes in the top loops that are held just with pressure it worked surprisingly well. If you get to go to gen con ill let you mollest it

Sadly I shall not be going to GenCon, so hence the lack of coffin molestation, and the glut of queries unto you. :P

Do you mean 135 degree though? 45 is like half the angle of a 90 degree, obvs., so I'd've expected something larger than 90... If you do mean 45, I'm wondering how that works. :P Maybe I am getting the joint measuring wrong a bit?

~Lil Kalki

ok redoing the velcro on coffin in so its sewn...also this is turning into a family cosplay for me my wife dose collet and my 3 yr old will be going as candy. my wife is considering going as pandora...but i cant think of a male neverborn i could do other than maybe jacob.

post-5682-13911930473787_thumb.jpg

post-5682-13911930474157_thumb.jpg

side note...she plays mei feng but decided on collet for her first costume becase it was easyer