M2E Marcus

dgraz

A box of canine remains, a box of silurids and possibly another sabertooth cerberus if you have money left over.

I'm down with the dogs and the frogs........I'd probably throw in something other than another big cat though...just for variety. It's also probably play-style differences.....I really like Myranda and I usually try to keep her on the table a while....if I'm not playing with the Blessed (that model needs its plastic version so I can start recommending it...that's my first choice) then I usually Shapechange after the Cerberus dies.

I'd probably go with Waldgeists instead. They provide some staying power for strats like Turf War and Squatters.

• Like 2

A box of canine remains, a box of silurids and possibly another sabertooth cerberus if you have money left over.

I'm down with the dogs and the frogs........I'd probably throw in something other than another big cat though...just for variety. It's also probably play-style differences.....I really like Myranda and I usually try to keep her on the table a while....if I'm not playing with the Blessed (that model needs its plastic version so I can start recommending it...that's my first choice) then I usually Shapechange after the Cerberus dies.

I'd probably go with Waldgeists instead. They provide some staying power for strats like Turf War and Squatters.

I forgot about blessed. She would indeed make it to the top of the list if she had been released in plastic. Waldgeists are good too, like dragz said.

Would Cassandra be a good choice?

Cassandra is a fantastic henchman....certain schemes become almost trivial with her around....like Bodyguard and Entourage for example. So yes, she is a good choice if you are less concerned with fluff.......I play my Beastmaster all fluff...all beasts all the time. There's no scheme that I can't accomplish with the right beast (there's at least one for whatever you need) but that's a personal choice.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the +2dmg and ml expert upgrade seems simpler to use than the other limited upgrade. What strats/schemes is the other one better for?

I think it's more about play-style differences. Trail is great when you like a more hands-on master....someone that can be aggressive and do things on their own....like a Lilith or Lady J. Domain is if you prefer a more support style master.

Trail lets Marcus get in there and beat things up and while he has a plethora of support abilities, they usually take a back seat. Domain allows Marcus to be safer and he can tie up enemy models....his support abilities come more to the fore by necessity.

I personally don't really care for support masters so after the first few times I tried Domain I haven't used it since.

I cannot second the waldgeists enough. Through bad placement Marcus got charged by Gracie and Burt through accomplice/companion, and in the end, Marcus took 3 wounds, waldgeist remained at 1 health from taking the brunt of the attacks. And I now cannot wait for Black Friday to buy my own waldgeists !!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Their very availability will mean they'll see more play.  

The Blessed is certainly a very strong model. In a lot of circumstances she'll be a better pick than the Cerberus (although they are for quite different jobs). Plus she works well for Tina as well as Marcus.

The Mauler as it stands ins't overly useful, people will play, but it isn't not going to set the world on fire.

Their very availability will mean they'll see more play.  

The Blessed is certainly a very strong model. In a lot of circumstances she'll be a better pick than the Cerberus (although they are for quite different jobs). Plus she works well for Tina as well as Marcus.

The Mauler as it stands ins't overly useful, people will play, but it isn't not going to set the world on fire.

I feel like for stuff like Bodyguard, Mauler would be a great choice, as it's the toughest beast I can see out there right now with Impossible to Kill, Armor and such... 

Edited by Spike0738

On Domain

Charging for (1) is useful for speed and attacking weak models.

:+fate attack is useful for hitting models that give negatives, Its probably the weakest of his abilities, until you need it, when it becomes amazing (Facing someone like Yin or Jack)

+2 Df is usfeul any time you think he is going to get hit. Regen 1 is useful when he is getting hit. 

As an upgrade it is more passive, as Trail leads you to want to attack and thuse spend your AP on hitting things, or on moving to places.

On Slate ridge mauler. 

Its biggest problem is that until it is Hurt it isn't much of a threat. its slow enough that most of the time your best way to deal with it, is ignore it. (It has pimpossible to Wound, Hard to kill and Bearskin Armour, but no actual armour)  

So got my first win in my first game with marcus. Didnt go full beast as it was reckoning and i dont have great options for that right now so brought marcus with arcane resevoir, trail of the gods and hunger cry. Myranda with imbued energies. Cerberus with ie. Joss with ie. Howard langston with no upgrades and the jackalope as my opponent hadnt played for a while so i thought i'd give him a chance.

Marcus turning enemies into a beast on his first hit then giving them negatives is pretty horrible. 

Won 10-3 vs a not very well optimized von schill friekorps crew.

• Like 1

I've been running a few games with a fixed list (its all I have painted atm), and it has been performing nicely. I find Marcus to be the master (thus far) that I want to change my list depending on the strats/schemes most. Atm I am running Marcus, Myranda, Cerberus, Rattler, Jackalope, Moleman, Waldgeist and Silurid. Each model has been the MVP somewhere, with exception of Cojo when I transformed into him with Myranda.

I really want to get time in with both his limited upgrades, but so far I feel the +2 min dg is so much better then everything else on the other limited upgrade.