Would there be demand for Metal limited editions?

Pierowmaniac

Was just wondering if Wyrd should consider doing the limited edition models in Metal?

OK so it wouldn't work for any of the bigger models they wanted to do, but looking at it from a collectability viewpoint or even an economic viewpoint for limited runs, I wonder if we will ever see a return to metal.

BTW still love the plastics, but having the odd special metal model would be nice ;)

wouldnt this just be an additional cost to the complany which in turn would need to be passed on to the consumer?

Metal models mean hiring a traditional sculptor or using a 3D printer to create masters. The they would need to preak from their normal production process to cast in metal instead of plastic which in turn increase cost due to the limited run.

Also, buying the materials required would be more expensive as the amount being bought would be much less.

wouldnt this just be an additional cost to the complany which in turn would need to be passed on to the consumer?

Metal models mean hiring a traditional sculptor or using a 3D printer to create masters. The they would need to preak from their normal production process to cast in metal instead of plastic which in turn increase cost due to the limited run.

Also, buying the materials required would be more expensive as the amount being bought would be much less.

I dont think this is the case, there is a reason afterall why most companies start in metal then transition to plastic later. Plastic molds are much more expensive to produce initially than metal molds. Where they make up for things is in mold durability and material costs. The savings are noticeable with large runs.

Small casting runs (limited edition models) should be a bit more cost effective using the green, mold, spin cast method rather than cad design then building the injection mold for plastics.

Keep in mind also that Wyrd doesn't actually produce the plastics in house, it is outsourced (which is why they have had some of the longer delays). Metal casting though (especially on a small limited edition scale) can easily be done in house.

I for one prefer the feel and detail of metal to plastic but each gamer has their own bias in regards to the subject.

I'd support this. But (and I could be wrong here), for small casting runs wouldn't RESIN be better?

Perhaps we have a different definition of "small"; I'm thinking sub-1K, you're probably thinking "Miss Models & NE", which can run into the multiple thousands.

Resin would be a bit cheaper (not sure its very much in these quantities) however is notoriously difficult to cast without imperfections (even with spin casters). Add in that resin takes much longer to harden also can't be recycled after a bad cast and metal is a bit better substance for small runs (from single casts to Nightmare or Miss models).

Edited by Omenbringer

Resin would be a bit cheaper (not sure its very much in these quantities) however is notoriously difficult to cast without imperfections (even with spin casters). Add in that resin takes much longer to harden also can't be recycled after a bad cast and metal is a bit better substance for small runs (from single casts to Nightmare or Miss models).

Resin, in the hands of an experienced caster (ie any company that has vaguely competent staff, and yes that does exclude one or two!) gives much cleaner, more accurate and refined details than metal, with far less surface pitting and defects. For runs of a hundred to several thousand, resin can be more detailed, cleaner, and no more expensive than metal (given the now massive price of metal). There's a reason that boutique display miniatures are pretty much all resin.

Metal is certainly faster and more time and expertise efficient, for runs of almost any size that are for tabletop use. Which used to make them the best option for small companies (although quite a few startups are now using plastic or resin and avoiding metal altogether. I heard that the actual startup costs weren't much better for metal than resin mixes a year or so back), but the price keeps climbing.

But in this case, I'd suggest that the nightmare models are at least as much a display piece, if not more so, than they are gaming pieces. So resin makes more sense to me. Especially after experiencing the nightmare justice set in metal...

I dont think this is the case, there is a reason afterall why most companies start in metal then transition to plastic later. Plastic molds are much more expensive to produce initially than metal molds. Where they make up for things is in mold durability and material costs. The savings are noticeable with large runs.

Small casting runs (limited edition models) should be a bit more cost effective using the green, mold, spin cast method rather than cad design then building the injection mold for plastics.

Keep in mind also that Wyrd doesn't actually produce the plastics in house, it is outsourced (which is why they have had some of the longer delays). Metal casting though (especially on a small limited edition scale) can easily be done in house.

I for one prefer the feel and detail of metal to plastic but each gamer has their own bias in regards to the subject.

Oh, I get all that. But for a company that will be 100% metal everything needed to produce a metal mini is an additional cost. Also, limited edition runs are smaller so the cost increases again due to not buying in bulk.

I say definetly metal limited editions. Even if they would cost extra I would buy everything in metal.. I just assembled my lynch crew of 12 models and out of the 12, 10 needed liquid green stuff to disapper the gaps that were left to them from the assembly..

In horror I wait my for upcoming Yan Lo box. When I was demoed this game with the Justice box, I thought the mini's were marvelous, the game was unlike any other I have played and decided at that instant this was going to be my main game. The feel of the minis was great as well. They were heavy and of sheer quality.

Now that I bought the masters that I wanted (Lynch and Yan Lo), I'm regretting my choices because the Lynch crew was truly annoying to put together when every teensyweensy bit has to be glued and leaves gaps like the grand canyon (Hungering Darkness, Illuminated with demon thingy). Had there been an option when I ordered them "would you like these in metal? Pay extra" I would have done just that.. So yes, please do the metal limited editions.

Personally, I always prefer metal to plastic or resin. I think there is certainly enough detail on metal for my tastes. I can't comment on costs or logistics but the short answer is yes, I'd definitely buy SE metal minis and I'm actually hoping to get as much in metal as I can before the re-release.

Two reasons; I like the weight of the metal minis, they feel quality and... I don't know, powerful on the table. It evokes memories of being young and the metal minis were the special characters that you spent extra on and took pride in. Secondly, getting a model from box to display shelf/tabletop is all part of the pleasure of collecting and I happen to enjoy the extra care in cleaning, pinning and preparing metal minis.

I may be minority, and I'm happy enough with plastics but I'll miss metal... :-(