Future of Ours MalifauX experience

caen

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been down this road before a dozen times with other game systems. The older editions of rules never survive- to think 1.5 will continue in any meaningful way is pure wishful thinking.

Really? There are still plenty of groups that play 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition AD&D along with other game systems. Hell despite the best efforts of Games Workshop, Blood Bowl survived for years via fan based updates and still enjoys a large intermational community.

Granted they may not be as large as the new hotness but they still exist.

RPGs do not directly relate to table top games, they are a significantly more closed environment. Small groups of friends can play older RPGs with little or no issues, just like old board games. Table top games are a different animal all together often requiring much larger player pools to draw upon, and those larger groups gravitate to the latest rule set in almost every case.

Likewise, BB is not a good comparison, it is currently not "living" as a game. GW last gasped a C.R.P. and gave it to us and have let it lie. I would challenge you to find many leagues across the world that use even the LRB 5.0 rule set, let alone Gold Edition or the first LRB.

Mattbird has the right of it... Classic may survive for a while as Wyrd switches over completely and holds off on a significant new model releases, but once the next "Rising Powers" book hits with 5 to 8 new Minions for each faction, it will be the end of it. You'll find people who linger here and there, but even Bill's strong personality (and I mean that with the utmost respect, had the pleasure of meeting/gaming/drinking with him) won't keep more than a few people playing that game, let alone a world-wide culture of it.

I think that's what makes me the saddest about this edition change (as much as I support it). The idea that some people will drift away not because of life, but because of a rule set, and losing those people disappoints me. I play these games to meet and make new friends, and to stay connected with old ones. The rule set if often secondary, or even tertiary to models/fluff/concepts....

I witnessed first hand the death of Confrontation brought on by edition changes and production changes.... and man, if this happens to Wyrd I will be once again a sad, sad puppy.

I witnessed first hand the death of Confrontation brought on by edition changes and production changes.... and man, if this happens to Wyrd I will be once again a sad, sad puppy.

Lets not compare, confrontation's edition changes were some of the most halfassed I've ever seen. I still remember how my Dirz weenie crew went from pretty nice to bloody garbage in a single swoop and I was pretty much forced to use tigers of Dirz or diasatis to compete (spoiler alert, I didn't buy). That their release schedule was basically "whatever is finished" didn't help matters either with some factions choking on choice and others lacking so much it wasn't even funny.

This is more akin to the warmachine edition change in the sense that it seems to be going on the right track. Yes, you bleed out players, but the hope is that you also more than you lose.

Malifaux will not end up as confrontation. Even with new emphasis on interactive actions, dropping counters, and swarm armies which really ruins the game for me. (I could pretty much forgive everything else.) It can’t be compared to changes that Rackham did to Confrontation. And that wasn’t even their biggest fault.

Their biggest mistake was what they did to miniatures. Confrontation miniatures were the best miniatures on the market at that time. And they replaced them with dodgy bandy plastic prepaints.

New Wyrd plastics are some of the best miniatures on the market, and I will still be buying them even if I don’t play M2E.

That brought back some bad memories.

People still play Confrontation 3.5 and I still own a big collection of the miniatures. Eight 1000pint armies.

There’s no sign of Confrontation age of Ragnarock thou. No loss there.

Edited by Duck21

If you think the Wyrd plastics are among the best in the market then I have a bridge you will probably like.

In my humble opinion the plastics I've seen are inferior to the metals and the plastics produced by other companies. It's not close either.

This is probably symptomatic of a new manufacturing process but between what I consider to be poor minis and poor art I am very glad I have nearly everything for my faction already.

I think there are some older models I like a lot more than the new plastic versions, but I also think that some of the newer plastics are great.

The 10T stuff, aside from burt jebsen being so tiny compared to what I thought he would be like was almost universally great.

The Yan Lo crew in fantastic. I also quite like the Misaki and McCabe crews.

Heck, Lynch and crew are cool too, except maybe Hungering Darkness being a bit... sort of mushy.

I do not like the new mad-max thunderdome look of many of the remakes though. There is a "sameness" to them across crews that I do not care for.

I liked Yan Lo and Lynch as well. Actually so much I bought them. Now as for the new look of the old masters I prefer many of the old ones better. Sonnia I think looks better (a lot) in the new art with the mask. But I get what Pierce is getting at and I agree with his sentiment.

Sonnia now looks like a freak.

I understand the probable fluff reasons for this (cf Lucius and Tyrants), but it's not a direction I like.

Her art is one of the few I don't mind, even though it represents a significant shift from her original look.

Edited by fishtank

ramos, mcmourning, vikis, ladyj, etc... They all look like extras from "<fill-in-the-blank-cyberpunk-post-apocolypse-movie-X>" to me.

(I'd have to go relook at all the crews again, but I think those stuck out at me)

Okay... Vikis yes, Lady J maybe, you could probably add Bishop. but Ramos and Mc Morning I don't think so.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Sonnia now looks like a freak.

I understand the probable fluff reasons for this (cf Lucius and Tyrants), but it's not the character that first got me interested in Malifaux any more.

Shame.

I could probably make a base which would give the sculpt better presence on the table. I could also make something windswept on the base to compensate for her hair, or modify her hair. If all else fails there's good alt metal sculpt of her.

I definitely like this Picture full of Goth Chicks – one detail that make me sad it that … this picture is a new image of my first MalifauX master Victoria the Treasure Hunter and Her crew.

Only one detail …

It seems that now Vickis is far away from the point when She have come to MalifauX and met Leveticus and Allyce in train compartment.

You know - Five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.

I am in stage five about M2E - so I focus on positives. New Vickis crew looks great, new Sonnia looks great, Pandora, Lilith, Nurces and many other arts look great :)

Edited by caen

Even though I like the new look on some figures better than some of the original ones, the fact is I don't like the quality of the plastics. They leave tremendous gaps on the glue line, they are fragile (Izamu broke on assembly, Beckoner while painting) and too small (Mr Tannen got some details burned due to gluing) for my hands.

I just received my order of some metal ones and those. Those I like. Very sturdy, details are just as good and they feel like you can actually play and paint them. I truly hope Wyrd starts producing better quality plastics.

I definitely like this Picture full of Goth Chicks – one detail that make me sad it that … this picture is a new image of my first MalifauX master Victoria the Treasure Hunter and Her crew.

Only one detail …

It seems that now Vickis is far away from the point when She have come to MalifauX and met Leveticus and Allyce in train compartment.

You know - Five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.

I am in stage five about M2E - so I focus on positives. New Vickis crew looks great, new Sonnia looks great, Pandora, Lilith, Nurces and many other arts look great :)

I am in stage 4

• 4 months later...

You shouldn't nerco threads.

For the record: Of the 299 votes 225 users voted to fully embrace M2e. Less than twenty users voted they were going to continue playing M1.5 and less than that said they would quit altogether.

Polls are frankly quite a poor way of gathering this sort of information.

As this thread has been necro'ed I'm closing it.