SC's new Malifaux painting thread (post-switch to white)

SpiralngCadavr

So... probably the most ambitious painting project I've done recently, and I feel it deserves a few highlights: the Nothing Beast's torso is actually around 1/2" longer than normal to exaggerate his form, the paint job was entirely guesswork (I tested the photos after completing everything).

Also, I'd like opinions on whether the NB should get a sand base like the Wretches or is fine with nothing extra on his base, as-is.

I was holding off on these guys for Wyrd Chronicles' gallery... a bit disappointed they didn't get in, but it gave me time to finish the rest of the core crew, so there'll be less of a delay between this half and the other, so, silver linings and all that. A link to more notes, as always.

nothing+beast+invert.jpg

void+wretches.jpg

nothing+beast.jpg

void+wretches+invert.jpg

• Like 2

I love the Negative image your "nothingness" brings with it here.  The inversion of colors on your void wretches is a fun twist!  But most of all, I think pictures of them on the tabletop/terrain you play on would help the most in showing your detail.  The black and white backgrounds are kind of hard to look at lol

Personally I'd leave the base off of the NB, I think, as it might take away from his imposing mass (or make him take up even more space).  It all depends on how they look on the tabletop itself. 

• Like 1

Nice, normally I hate blood on models but Graves looks really good.

The paint job on the illuminated actually makes the models more tolerable, I wish our local Lynch player would take some queues from this ....I hate looking at illuminated models normallly. 

I really like the glowing eyes, i've tried the same thing with my ressurectionists in green, I think you've done a better job of it.

Malidave, thanks! Yeah, the Nothing Beast is my favorite of the crew- took forever to get it feeling right... wish it were slightly better/less glass-cannon-ish in-game, but I'm learning to use it pretty well, I think. Re: looking at your stuff, I really do like both sharing info and seeing people improve their skills- I've been enjoying watching your log get going :)

Vorschlag, thanks- yeah, I very rarely do much with blood effects as I usually feel like they end up over the top, was happy with his bloody fists.

Re: illuminated, yeah, other than the kneeling yelling guy I'm not a huge fan of those models. With my first set of them, I actually mostly put them in shadow, so I could downplay the parts I didn't like (page 5).

For glowing eyes, I'd suggest painting them in white, then applying either a bright ink, or a thinned high pigment paint (I find "GAME color" is a good brand for that) to the eye/socket, then going back in on the eye with the color mixed with  white if the eye doesn't pop enough. You can do more blending than that, but that principle works well for me.