Lost Love 25SS Tournament in Essex, 17th Feb

Clousseau

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all of my opponents and Clousseau for running it - a great introduction to Malifaux tournaments and I'll certainly be attending again!

Really great prize support as well - despite my inability to decide what to spend it on, I'm sure everyone will be pleased to hear I did eventually choose some things and head home...

Looking forward to the next one (although my wife has reminded me that we are on holiday until 15th June, so I can't promise I will be awake!)

Apart from losing 4 on the day everything seemed to go pretty well. Looking forward to some fedback, and to seeing you all (and more) for Gunsmiths For Hire on SUnday 16th June.

1st Fearlord 12/23/25 (TP/VP diff/VP)

2nd Scuttlebut 10/10/17

3rd Kingledge 9/22/25

4th OldManMyke 9/21/25

Best painted Master: Munchkin (McMourning)

Runner up: OldManMyke (Rasputina)

Best Supply Wagon: leebat (Dreamer's toy wagon)

Edited by Clousseau

@OldManMyke - you've been seeded against Joel for Haul of Eggs based on this performance!!!

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Found after the event - a 1.5 rule book. PM me if you think it is yours. I also found a Guild Guard stat card.

Really good event, we both had a really good time, meet a lot of very nice people, played a bunch of games, learned a lot. Thank you Clousseau for running it, and thanks to all our opponents.

Personally I did considerably better than expected so that was very nice too, even if I wasn't able to compete with the Norfolk Powergaming Group(NPG) who raided all the prices.

BTW, did anyone get pictures of all the supply wagons? I didn't really great to see them. We were too tired to eat ours yesterday so I might get some later and post up if no one else have done so.

Couple of little details. Possibly my fault for not fully reading the event pack handed out in the morning.

1 - Was not aware that the Master judging was taking place until I saw the crowd of people at the table. Managed to get my model on the table before all the votes were cast (not that I expected anyone to like my efforts too much) but I noticed a few other people rush to get their Masters in the line up. But by then almost all the votes were done. So for the next event perhaps a quick word before the preceding round starts to tell people to place there Master model on said table after their game for judging and perhaps voting slips to be placed on the table 5 or ten minutes after the last people finish their game and hand in their score card.

2 - As Gorbad said about the Supply Wagons. It would have been nice to have those lined up in a similar manner too.

Other than those minor gripes (well not even gripes, more suggestions) I had a great time and will be back for more. Once again thanks to my opponents and the organisers ie Clousseau.

Michael

Thank you for a great Tournement, a fun day.

Organisation seemed great. I had no problems with time (although apparently getting a master to live past turn 2 slows the game down...) and I think the vast majority of games reached turn 6 in the time.

A more formal announcement on the master painting would have been nice, and Likewise I didn't get to see all thje wagons. I was very impressed with a lot ofthe wagons, there was some great work done.

Personally I much prefer the new shared Traesure hunt (2013) rules. I never really liked the old one, it seemd a bit anticlamatic as you normally know how the points are going to go by turn 3 baring a major change.

Have yet to play the other new missions.

I heard a few people say a couple of the tabels were low terrain, (possibly when they faced a hugely shooting force on them) I think I missed those ones, although I largely ignored terrain anyway. Certainly the tables I was on had a decent amount to keep things interesting.

Its amazing how complicated we as players can make a simple pool selection tornement.

I thought the crew selection rules were interesting, simple and reasonably balenced. Mind you I wasn't playing as a ressurectionist.

As always, a great tournement (and not just because I won a prize) and a top day. Thanks Dave.

And thank you to all the players there. Everyone looked like they were havign a good time. It was great catching up on old friends, and meeting new ones. I liked how people were keeping track on how their earlier opponents did (unless you were all like me, and hoping that the ones that beat you went on to win to justify your humiliating loss...)

Even if some of you managed some very scary combinations of stuff with a limited pool.

Lookign forward to the next one.

Phil

Many thanks for putting together an excellent event, Clousseau.

Thanks also to Crikeymiles, Mephiston and Liz for good games - all fun and educational too. As for Angelofruin - I know where you live, and you haven't heard the last of Leveticus! :P

I would second Powderfan's suggestions re the master painting competition. I didn't have a hope of winning (there were some very well painted minis on the day) so I'm not worried for my own sake, but I didn't even enter my master since I didn't realise that the competition was running until after I returned from lunch at around 2.10.

What really? Well that sucks for me... Oh well, guess I'll have to take the Mechanical Attendant instead... But I refuse to paint him or enjoy using him! ;-)

It didn't seem to hold you back at all!

Was your winning crew the starter box, the Mechanical Attendant and a Peacekeeper? Do you have any top tips for running that crew? The reason I ask is that I spent most of Satruday cleaning and basing my Hoffman starter box plus Peacekeeper, but had assumed that he would be a relatively weak/limited crew for this tournament.

Thanks to Katrina, Bex, Scott and Lee for 4 great fun games. I never anticipated winning a game, let alone podiuming.

Thanks must also go to Clousseau for organising the day and making everything run as smoothly as it did.

And finally thanks to everyone for making it such a great environment to game in.

Now if only there was a podcast where I could hear a detailed tournament review... chance would be a fine thing

It didn't seem to hold you back at all!

Was your winning crew the starter box, the Mechanical Attendant and a Peacekeeper? Do you have any top tips for running that crew? The reason I ask is that I spent most of Satruday cleaning and basing my Hoffman starter box plus Peacekeeper, but had assumed that he would be a relatively weak/limited crew for this tournament.

Yeah, that was my crew, but the Mechanical Attendent didn't even come out of the case in the end, leaving me with the same 25ss crew in all 4 games...

I was extremely lucky I feel, as none of the strategies were too bad for Hoffman and I also played all 4 games against Resser Masters who could not be considered as bad match ups for me... Even in game, I never had a hand that gave me no options and I managed to get initiative on most of the key turns when I needed it. When the Black joker did come up it was usually not on anything important, and I was also able to hold on to it in more than one game...

I cannot claim to any great tactics other than casting Open Circuit as much as possible... A few of the crews there could have easily taken me apart, but I didn't have to play them, so managed to sneak through! The last few games were especially close and a couple of bad initiative flips would have completely flipped them on there heads...

I thoroughly enjoyed this event. I had only previously played 1 game, so I was a bit shaky on my own crews rules, let alone anyone else's. Thanks to Adran, Trevelyan, Kingledge and Leebat for great games, especially Leebat who not only gave a large number of hints and tips in our Dreamer Vs. Dreamer scrap, but also pointed out the fact that I had forgotten one of my schemes allowing me to grab another VP.

I missed the master painting comp, but that was mainly my fault for going out for Pizza!

All in all it was a very well organised event with a group of great people who were there to have a good time, and a good time was had by all!

See you at the next one!

was indeed a good set of games, and the little puppets made some peoples head hurt with all their bouncing about. Panicked a bit when realised was up against raspy and literally proceeded to just throw that game away in a flurry of silly moves. (been a looooong time since played against her and never with the puppets in tow.)

look forward to the next tournament, having a bigger pool to pick from and actually rocking up with a master will be nice!

Couple of little details. Possibly my fault for not fully reading the event pack handed out in the morning.

1 - Was not aware that the Master judging was taking place until I saw the crowd of people at the table. Managed to get my model on the table before all the votes were cast (not that I expected anyone to like my efforts too much) but I noticed a few other people rush to get their Masters in the line up. But by then almost all the votes were done. So for the next event perhaps a quick word before the preceding round starts to tell people to place there Master model on said table after their game for judging and perhaps voting slips to be placed on the table 5 or ten minutes after the last people finish their game and hand in their score card.

2 - As Gorbad said about the Supply Wagons. It would have been nice to have those lined up in a similar manner too.

Other than those minor gripes (well not even gripes, more suggestions) I had a great time and will be back for more. Once again thanks to my opponents and the organisers ie Clousseau.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback, and both noted. The painting competition was my cock-up - only realised after most of lunch had gone that I'd not told everyone what to do. That'll be fixed next time.

The Supply Wagon judging was my decision based on theme to the rest of the crew - but again lining them up for everyone to enjoy would have beena good idea. Sometimes its easy to forget that few people have time to look around the tables when playing!

Will build in a longer lunch next time, and maybe lose 5 minutes per game to offset this.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Appreciate the comments on the Strategies chosen, but to honest, at 25SS they are rather limted - Recon doesn't really work with a small model count and I was worried that Contain Power would favour certain Masters. Will have a rethink before Haul of Eggs, and for Gunsmiths for Hire the pool of models will be bigger and we'll also be using the revised Strategies (see rules pack when it is out).

I'll put some pics up, or a link to Photobucket, a little later.

Finally, I'm glad that everyone had a good day (even James T who lost 3 games and then couldn't recover as he had a bye - hope the free entry will entice him back for the next one). I was a little nervous about running such a big event (biggest outside the GT?), but all went well, Excel didn't crash, and everyone behaved themselves. A few improvements planned for the next one which will hopefully be even bigger.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Here are the Supply Wagons

IMG_2913_zps225fc805.jpg

IMG_2915_zpsd89a5395.jpg

IMG_2914_zps0ff8989b.jpg

IMG_2912_zps69fddf0c.jpg

more pics in the album (link below)

...and here's some action shots. Again more in the album

IMG_2888_zps51738241.jpg

IMG_2908_zps2045ddab.jpg

Album link: http://s101.beta.photobucket.com/user/clousseau/library/Malifaux/Lost%20Love%20Tournament%2017%20Feb%202013