Ten Thunders Bros Painting Log

WaywardSun13

So I've finally had some downtime to paint. Once I got my hands on the TTB boxed set I really couldn't wait to get started. As I get these figures finished I'll be posting them here.

Yamaziko:

yama1a.jpg

yama4.jpg

yama5.jpg

Ototo:

ototo3.jpg

ototo1a.jpg

ototo5.jpg

ototo6.jpg

And here's crew, thus far:

ttb1a.jpg

C&C appreciated!

I'll be updating this as I get more figures finished. Shang is on the painting table now. I'll probably do some Torakage next.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by WaywardSun13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone!

@lbd--

Hiding the seam required use of a little greenstuff and an dried up ball point pen tip. before assembling the pieces, I put a line of GS on the inner-surface, and then I glued the two pieces together. (This way the seam is filled and the excess green stuff gets squeezed out). I then removed the extra GS and used the ball point pen to trace the creases in her sleeve. Smoothed it all out with a file after it had hardened, and then covered it with a coat of GW foundation paint. Once dry I primed, painted, and avoided the seam.

As a side-note, the seams are my biggest beef with the plastics. I prefer to paint complicated pieces (like Yamaziko) separate and then assemble after painting. With that seam running down the arm I didn't really have much of a choice, and that made painting her torso more challenging. Probably not as big a deal as I'm making it, so probably just an annoyance.

@redbadger--I've pretty much stopped using paint straight out of the bottle. The turquoise is made out of a mix of GW Scaly Green, Reaper Sparkling Blue, and GW Chaos Black. I then built highlights with less black and a little GW Adeptus Battlegrey, and then the brighter highlights are just the Scaly Green, Sparkling Blue, and Vallejo Model Color Ivory.

Thanks again everyone! Stay tuned for more TTB!

Originally Posted by wolfoman117 View Post

not the first picture I see the new plastic and all have reached the same question I ask is scary "new plastic makes the paint is shiny?" deeply hope not but ...

The material you're painting on doesn't make the paint shiny or not. Inks and sealers make it shiny.

Correct. Once you put primer on the plastics, it's just like painting the metals. If you look at Ototo, his cloth is NOT shiny, whereas I used some gloss effect on his lacquered armor plates (because they're well...lacquered). Yamaziko's blue hakama (I think) was intentionally left "shiny." I have the Reaper Sparkling Blue I added into the mix to thank for that.

So basically, don't worry. If you prime the new plastics you can only blame the painter for the shininess, not the plastics.

I've painted a lot of plastic before, just wanted to ask about this plastic, as is the feeling I get. and certainly disagree on what the material does not affect the finish, by many base layer is applied not just paint plastic, metal or resin and composition of these does change the final result

Then you need a better primer. As Wayward said, once you prime it, there should be no difference.

Then you need a better primer. As Wayward said, once you prime it, there should be no difference.

I would add to be sure to get a "true" primer versus spray paint (there is definately a difference). Not all mini-specific aerosol primers are "true" primers, most are actually nothing more than thick spray paint. A "true" primer will slightly etch the material it is bonding to (regardless of whether it is plastic, metal or resin) providing a much more durable surface for the acrylic paints to bond to later (You can test this by spraying a scrap bit of the material you are looking to prime then stripping the primer off and looking for the etch).

Products I know for a fact are "true" primers (and that I would completely recommend as I have used them with great results) are

1. Duplicolor Sandable autobody primer (available in several colors and from the auto parts store for a reasonable price).
  2. Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Primer (available in several colors and in most DIY stores and craft stores as well, also resonably priced).

I am sure there are others however these are the ones I know (so will defer to others that have experience with others).