GREMLINS - Advice on making a TT/asian themed gremlin crew?

*Jack*

Hi all,

Want some advice. Looking to make a themed gremlin crew at some point, so just bouncing around ideas. Feel free to throw your thoughts in, both on theme, list building (Never played with or against gremlins) and ideas.

At the moment, I'm thinking of a ten thunders/asian themed Gremlin crew. The new wizard, wong, then bayou gremlins, maybe some family members, with various asian costumes, hats, and weaponry.

I need to know whats good in a gremlin crew. I'd like the crew to be decent, but obviously am not opposed to switching in a few models for either theme, or just because they're fun. I love a lot of the goblin models, so sticking in fun stuff wont be a problem.

I'm thinking about going for ophelia, because I'm not overly fond of somer. Don't want to take the card handicap, and ophelia seems very good. Does she *Need* family to be effective, or will one or two suffice.

I'd rather not take a pig-a-pult, if only because its a big metal model and I like my crews to be easy to carry. Do piglets have any use with a pult? Are slop haulers/taxidermists any good? Both seem funny for theme, especially the bacon bombs (Chinese firecracker type things). I assume bayou gremlins are decent with anyone for 3pts each, so I'll definitely be making some of them. Lenny?

For modelling, there are lots of companies making goblin models and I can take my pick really. I dont mind if the faces all look a bit different, as that is very "Gremlin" to me. WGF have a japanese kit out, so I could steal the hats off them. Maybe grab some of the TT, kirai, or bushido models and give them gremlin heads, to make gremlins.

Eventually, I think I'll expand to somer, and a TT gremlin version of Zoraida, as she can hire gremlins. This will open up some neverborn, which will be cool.

Kay, just throwing this in because of the idea and because it might be fun to look at: Maybe you want to put little rockets (the one people use on New Year's Eve) into the barrel of the rifles and paint them in a funny and exploding way since China is known for its fireworks.

And maybe the one - if you are interested in sculpting that - looking into the barrel looks in there right in the wrong moment and you model an exploded barrel and paint him a nice black face.

But that's just two ideas I'd really want to see in a crew like this ^^.

This sounds really interesting and very much fitting of the fluff of gremlins copying humans! I can definitely imagine Ophelia painted up like a geisha.

Don think you can hire any pigs with Ophelia leading the crew though so the piglets, stuffed piglets and taxidermists will have to stick with Somer.

Supposedly Wyrd is coming out with actual Asian themed gremlins (besides the guy in the new book that is). Or at least more amusing gremlin parodies, as I'm fairly certain that was stated. I suppose that doesn't help you right now, but just FYI.

Oh, great... Do you have any more info? I'm reading up on ophelia tacticas right now, but unless I find out the other kin are amazing, or a great way to convert rami, I'm thinking about:

Ophelia Lacroix -- 6 Pool (with 34SS of models)

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Bayou Gremlin [2ss]

Wong [6ss]

Gremlin Taxidermist [6ss]

Lenny [7ss]

Pere Ravagé [5ss]

Modelling Pere ravage might be a lot of fun... :')

I would probably go with a Big Trouble in Little China Town look.. Base your crew on the Chang Sing who team up with Jack Burton, against the evil Wing Kong "Ten Thunders" and go with a crew like this

Outcasts Crew - 30 - Scrap

Ophelia Lacroix
--
0 Pool

2 Young Lacroix [4ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bert Jebsen
    [6ss]

• Gracie
    [7ss]

• Pere Ravagé
    [5ss]

• Slop Hauler
    [4ss]

• Wong
    [6ss]

So Ophelia would be Miao Yin,

Bert Jebsen as Jack Burton,

Gracie as the Pork Chop Express

Wong as Egg Shen,

I might put in Raphael to be Eddie Lee

Edited by Ratty

• 2 months later...

First off, stop stealing my ideas... J/K I'm sure we both independently came up with the idea based on cheesy cartoons and martial arts movies.

Anyway, Greebo Miniatures (won't put a link because I'm pretty sure it is against forum rules to provide link to a competitor) has recently concluded an Indigogo campaign (similar to kickstart) with a Nippon Goblin Fantasy Football team. Well, all the miniatures are provided with and without the football gear for conversion sake. I jumped at the opportunity to pledge the max and came out with an abundance of Nippon goodness. What makes it even better is that there is a special weapon for the Blood Bowl Goblin bomber that is perfect to use as a Pere stand-in without any conversion whatsoever.

Do a quick search for Greebo on the Indigogo website and you'll find a TON of ideas.

Cheers.

xKoBiEx

A long shift in work and I come home to a Gremlin thread. Lovely!

On your first point, Ophelia does not need many Kin at all to be effective. Her ability to negate Whoops! is stronger in my view, than a gang wide companion chain. However I would still take Rami for a bit of long ranged punch.

On Pigs in general. If you're taking Ophelia as your Leader, then she can't take Piglets. She can still take the Taxidermist but without any Pigs to start, you'll be making Piglets off stuff that dies. Not overly cost effective. Slop Haulers are worth their weight in gold. They heal up wounds, allowing you to abuse Reckless and Dumb Luck more. I always take at least one but be careful - people tend to gun for these guys.

Lenny is overcosted. Bert and Francois hit harder, are quicker and much cheaper. But if you're going for theme, he would make an excellent Gremlin Ototo.

my apolgies to the mods (i assume my last post will be deleted) I forgot about not linking stuff. The old Rackham Goblin Ashiguru/Samurai range was pretty cool) im pretty sure they arent sold any more so not sure if it would count as linking to competition, think you would have to find some second hand. I have a set and am now planning to do Samurai Gobbos too so thanks for the idea. (obviously i also plan to get the Bayou ones as they are cool minis)

my apolgies to the mods (i assume my last post will be deleted) I forgot about not linking stuff.

The mods here are generally forgiving so you'll likely be fine. It is just a good habit not to test the mods as they are usually either; a) volunteering to a board that they have a considerable amount of passion in and you wouldn't want to get them in trouble; or B) employees of the company and have no choice but remove such links. I have a lot of respect for the miniatures made by Wyrd and one of their partners for terrain (WWG) and, although I do use their competitors' models from time to time, I try to respect their boards.

Back to this thread... Since Ten Thunders appears to be popular, we may see more Asian goblin/gremlin models from Wyrd. I definitely plan to purchase the ones in the Storm of Shadows book.