Ten Thunders Summery

Da Git

IIRC, he is not a spirit but he does have 4 Wds....and he is specifically allowed to reduce to 0 Wds doing it.

okay, that's pretty useful - hopefully he isn't too easy to just kill off... What sort of distance does Lucky Charm have, and is it an action? He sounds pretty quick, but to be fair Misaki sounds like she could easily leave him behind...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's killable, but he has a respectful Df of 5 and he should be able to stay out of sight and/or melee while being where he needs to be. 6/9 with Flight and Lucky Charm is 12"...no LoS required.

Yeah, that should be pretty doable really! And if worse comes to worse, there's always the Tora - swap, and I presume Misaki and Shang can companion?

Updated Shang on first post.

Thanks, for all the info people, Misaki's crew is really starting to take shape in my mind!!

I am also poddering looking for some Ninja models to use as wrastrels, afterall ninja are kinda the black sheep of the martial arts world!!

The next one that I am really curious about is the archer...

From what I have, they have 2 0's, one to gain magical or blasts for the bow, the other to give :+fate to there shots, although this seems kinda pointless as they can focus shot for a 1?? is this correct?

I'm assuming the trigger for more shots is trigger happy?

are they kinda mobile like the trapper with redeploy or some other movement shenagans?

Updated Shang on first post.

Thanks, for all the info people, Misaki's crew is really starting to take shape in my mind!!

I am also poddering looking for some Ninja models to use as wrastrels, afterall ninja are kinda the black sheep of the martial arts world!!

The next one that I am really curious about is the archer...

From what I have, they have 2 0's, one to gain magical or blasts for the bow, the other to give :+fate to there shots, although this seems kinda pointless as they can focus shot for a 1?? is this correct?

I'm assuming the trigger for more shots is trigger happy?

are they kinda mobile like the trapper with redeploy or some other movement shenagans?

While I will not get my book till I get my Misaki stuff as I am waiting for it I did get to read about the archers today as someone who just got the Dark Debts got their book. Here is the run down that I read.

They have two (0) Actions as you said, one that gives their next shot a positive twist and the other is a spell that is not terrible hard to cast that gives their shot a special ability. They are Magicial attack, a -/Blast/Blast+Blast, Non living models suffer from slow *might have an additional note on it*, and finally one that is a higher damage hit. Something like 3/4/6 damage spread. Now some stuff to keep in mind;

- Their (1) focus shot can only be used once activation. This means no firing all crazy twice with it.

- You can combine the (0) Action that gives the positive Twist to the focus shot to get a double positive if you needed it. Like Cover and some ability giving two negatives.

- If you are shooting at a model in cover or with a single negative you can use the focus shot once and the (0) Action that gives a positive on the second so that you can get strait shots and thus cheat.

As for the extra shots it is not like Trigger happy if I remember right. If I remember right the trigger needs a Tome to go off. Then if you flip a Crow or Ram for the damage, you get another shot. So no where near as certain as Trigger Happy for extra shots.

From what I remember they have no real special movement tricks, but with the option of Torakage swaps they can utilize the other tricks of the Ten Thunder to move about.

thanks for that Etenal Void, nice little summeryof abilities you've given, what's the cb & damage spread like when the bow is unpowered up? not bad or pretty pants? He is looking pretty leathal otherwise, nice fire support for the 10T!

You also clarified up the focus & 0 action nicely, I was wondering what the point was, so thanks again!

The trigger looks quite interesting, albeit a little random, especially if you can cheat in a higher card, but lose the extra shot. More choices are always fun in a game of cards!!

Put in first post.

Some other questions I have are:

Are all the totems insig (soul porter is, but what about the rest? (spesh Shang as he is a tad more expensive?)

How suit dependant are the 10T (mainly Misaki's stuff but others as well)... from what I've seen is that all suits can be useful for different models. Is this consistant or does one suit win out?

Cheers!!

Edited by Da O&F Git

thanks for that Etenal Void, nice little summeryof abilities you've given, what's the cb & damage spread like when the bow is unpowered up?

I was quite surprised by the damage spread at it hits like a guild gun, 2/3/4. I was expecting 1/3/4 or something like that. Cb6 too so a fair shot.

the big thing I see about the archers though is that you will generally only have 1 to 2 in your crew. At 6ss they are going on the more expensive side of models, not cheap like Guild fodder where you can slip in two easy and possible take a third to fill your crew with bodies. While we can only make predictions at this point I see people taking a single archer for decent fire support if they take any at all, two perhaps if it fits the objective.

How suit dependant are the 10T (mainly Misaki's stuff but others as well)... from what I've seen is that all suits can be useful for different models. Is this consistant or does one suit win out?

I will give what I can remember but sadly it is not a ton but might be able to clear up some more of Misaki's stuff. Misaki has a trigger for every suit, though the Tome one is on her spell that pushes enemy models away from the target. The trigger if I remember right allows her to move *5" I think* towards the target afterwards. She also has a trigger on her weapon that, mask triggers it I believe, that allows her to try that Pilfer action she has. She also has Decapication if I remember right, needs a Crow for it. Going to be scary having a master with this as they have Use Soulstone. Her last trigger if I remember right is her or something equivelent to the Ten Thunder Fist thing that gives and additional positive flip to damage.

She has a couple (0) actions. One is a pulse that rallies friendly fleeing models and they take one wound. Another one is that "Your Mine!" where she singles out a model and goes after them. It gives her bonuses to attack and at the same time gives some negatives to other models attacking either her or her target. It is fairly long so there is a little more too it then that. Last one is that Shadow where she moves when they move. Basically pick someone in los to her, and when they move she moves towards them. That one I am not sure of as I think she has to move directly towards them meaning use of it will have to be careful.

Her "Your Mine!" (0) action is interesting. I believe you have to swing once to trigger it so you might not be getting it on your first attack. It also seems like it might be benificial sometimes not to kill the target as if enemies do have a Negative flip to hit Misaki while it is active it might protect her a bit till next turn.

Her scheme will be interesting. She has to be in melee with her target to steal the soulstones, and that means up against a model that is fully capable of using Soulstones to try and kill her. Ideally you would get the trigger, win the flip for the stone, and then finish them off. But if you only get a single stone, they have to use all of their stones for you to get the scheme. So ideally you might want 2-3 stones to help insure it, but as she can only pilfer once per activation and it is not even a sure thing you will win the flip, you might just find yourself killing the enemy before you get a single stone.

Shang is interesting on attack as he has a range and melee attack. His range attack is a magic attack though its damage spread is low and more in line with other totem's damage spreads. His melee actually has Cb6 which surprised me and the Flay trigger gives him a surprise if someone underestimates him and you had a high mask in your hand. Unlike most totems he can actually pick off a weak or wounded model.

Ototo is interesting, I defiently want to go over his rules again before I make any calls on him. But I can say what I did note. He can use his weapon's Cb rather than Wp when defending, making that first glance Wp4 a more impressive defense of 6. He also has some triggers on his club but I can't remember them off hand. He also has the same kind of thing as the Mauler where if he gets down to half wounds he gets +2Cb and his melee expert becomes a melee master. Also his weapon is magically which is nice.

Might add more to this post later if I have time and can remember more.

Nice!!

Misaki's triggers are sounding decidedly deadly, It's going to be nice coming to a faction that uses all it's suits rather than just :crows (rezzers!) Although it is going to be tough deciding which model gets to use which card in the hand!!

Is shang insignificant?

Edited by Da O&F Git

Some refinement on the earlier post on suits....

Misaki - 4 triggers requiring :rams, :rams, :tomes, :masks

Misaki has no suit requirements that she does not already come with. Her weapon has a :crows build in and her Ca has a :masks built in.

Shang is insignificant and comes with a built in :masks on both Ca and his melee CB. He has one trigger that requires a second :masks.

Ototo is a lot of fun and real beater in the crew. He has a build in :rams on his CA. He has 2 triggers, both on his melee attack, that each require :rams. No extra suit requirements on his spells or abilities.

Archers have no in-built suits, but do not need them for spells. They have 2 triggers, one on DF and one on their bow. Df is a :masks and helps them leave melee and Bow trigger is a :tomes that lets them shoot again based on the damage flip suit.

Torekage have a bunch of triggers and suit-dependent spells and come with no built-in suits. They have a spell trigger on smoke bombs that requires a :tomes. Three combat triggers (2 on melee and 1 on ranges) that requires :masks for two of them and :crows for the ranged one. Two of their three spells require :masks to cast, but the Torekage have a (0) action to gain :masks on their CA. Basically the Torekage have to choose between casting their smoke bombs or gaining an auto-mask to cast their other spells unless you have a decent mask in hand.

Yamaziko has a built in :rams on her CB, which auto-triggers her single combat trigger. On her spells she has one spell that requires a :rams and another spell that requires a :tomes to cast.

So, while the pure 10T models use a variety of suits, it really boils down to a heavy reliance on :rams and :masks. The odd :tomes and even more rare :crows requriements give some nice uses, but are not as necessary at the other two. Keep in mind that this changes a bit based on what else you add in. These models are single-faction 10T, while there are a number of dual-faction 10T that requires different suits. Its pretty easy to mix up the suit requirements by leading your 10T crew with a 10T master other than Misaki, or by grabbing those dual-faction 10T models into your crew. As an example, the following crew is very reliant on :crows for their triggers and spells:

Ten Thunders Crew - 35 - Scrap

Misaki, Mistress of the Ten Thunders -- 4 Pool

Shang [3ss]

Ashigaru [4ss]

Ashigaru [4ss]

Kang [8ss]

Toshiro, the Damiyo [8ss]

Yin, the Penangalan [8ss]

I think this is one of the best things about the 10T as a faction, its going to take a while to work out the best combinations of crews since there are so many different choices.

Finally had a chance to have a quick flip through the book tonight and the biggest shock was Misaki's melee range is only 2"! I have sort of just been assuming 3" like her Minion version and Yamaziko...

Shang also has Rush of Power (Lilith's ability to draw an extra card and then discard down to max hand size in the draw phase) which is pretty cool!

Torakage get better in melee when attacking a model on their own (+1Cb and an additional damage flip). They also get soft cover while within 3" of another friendly model. Their bury action is a (2) spell that unburies them within 8" of a friendly Ten Thunders model at the end of the turn, regardless of distance.

Thanks Eternal, Nix & Fearlord... you lucky people who either have the book or can look through it!! (I won't be able to get it till it comes out, anyone know when that is?)

@ Fearlord: Miskai, the Minion alway had Rg:2 on her bisento.

- Thats so cool about rush of power, another reason to take Shang (& he was always looking pretty cool!)

- Torakage just keep getting better, wish the bury was as easy as the miners one... but they still are very cool & looks like they can look after themselves in melee ok too!

@ Nix: Thanks for the added detail on those triggers, sounds like there are a lot!

Can't wait to see the book!!

Wow, loved this faction from the pre-release info and fluff alone, and I'm completely falling in love as the details roll in. ATM I'm envisioning making a force with movement tricks similar to colette, but with the hitting power to really take advantage of it.

Question: is there anything to prevent the Torakage from using the swap twice in a round? IE, to swap to a desperate merc, then swap with misaki? If not, then any 10t model on the board is potentially a crazy assassin able to leap over walls...this alone could be used to keep an enemy force bundled up in a tight little group and slaughter anyone who ventures astray. A bit of Oiran magic and pushes could turn a scrap into a B horror movie, where people keep wandering off to die horribly....

Wow, loved this faction from the pre-release info and fluff alone, and I'm completely falling in love as the details roll in. ATM I'm envisioning making a force with movement tricks similar to colette, but with the hitting power to really take advantage of it.

Question: is there anything to prevent the Torakage from using the swap twice in a round? IE, to swap to a desperate merc, then swap with misaki? If not, then any 10t model on the board is potentially a crazy assassin able to leap over walls...this alone could be used to keep an enemy force bundled up in a tight little group and slaughter anyone who ventures astray. A bit of Oiran magic and pushes could turn a scrap into a B horror movie, where people keep wandering off to die horribly....

LOL! I love the imagery of that idea, I'll have to try that when the Ten Thunders finally show up.

Mistaken Identity can be cast once per activation.

Torakage can also ignore disengaging strikes from models whose melee range they start in. They seem really great and 1 - 2 seem like a shoe in for lots of lists, and not just with Misaki! They can inflict poison 1 with their ranged attacks, and make a ranged attack with -2Cb when ever they take a walk action.

Archers are pretty powerful shooters, but get negatives to disengaging and cannot use defensive stance because of their longbows... They have a mask Df trigger to push out of melee and their (0) action spell needs a 7 of any suit to cast, but has great effects. Alternatively they can use their other (0) for paired on the next shot.

Until I find out what the special arrow spell is called (& probably still afterwards...) I'm calling it "Hawkeyes (think marvel) stolen arrow heads!"

I'm thinking that Wyrd has done a really nice job of making this crew seem like a bunch of Ninjas!!

Sound like amazing rules to go with amazing models!

Has anyone actually got the models yet? how are they? is the detail sharp?

The trick with the Archers is to fully assembled the head before attaching it to the body. If you do not it becomes very tough to get the cloth on the back of the hat attached to the model.

I have seen Yamaziko and she is fantastic. Mine are all out with my commission painter being assembled and painted.

Ive got archers and yamaziko. Yamaziko was well detailed and easily assembled. I just started assembling the archers. Dynamic poses but the heads are proving fiddly to assemble.

lucky, my friend got an email from WYRD informing him (and me) that my Yamaziko is back ordered. boo!

Oh well, I still have my Von Schill, LEvi and Viks crew to build and paint.. so no real rush... :)