The Iron Quill Round: Preliminary

edonil

This could well shake the writers room out of the quiet that's settled there recently, good call on it Edonil!

I've written a little, as usual with my stuff I've sorted out the key points and drafted them, and soon comes the inevitable weaving together that means redrafting over and over! Probably not the best way, but it seems to work for me...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edonil posted his scores on my story in my thread, which I don't mind in the least anyone doing (whatever the score may be).

I do think though that as a general principle it might be best to be chary of that, especially if rating something rather low. My skin is like rhino hide (reports that I spent an hour wailing and howling at the moon at not getting universal 5s are mere unsubstantiated gossip) but other souls may be a tad sensitive.

As an overall principle, PM them to me. Since UberGruber doesn't mind them being made public, you can post them there if you like. I just did mine public since 1) He did a great job, so there was no risk of offending him in public and 2) To give you guys an idea of how I meant the system to work.

The scoring and such that's private will be communicated to the author in a PM with the name's removed, that way we don't end up with people being offended and going after anyone. Not that I'm really worried about that, but still. However, with that being said, please post some sort of comments publicly.

The winner(s) of each round will be determined by a blind score from a public and a private poll. The public poll will be a thread created in which anyone who reads the stories can vote. The private poll will be for Judges and Authors who have weighted votes they can hand out. Each Judge/Author can award each of the following to different stories: 8 votes, 6 votes, 4 votes, 2 votes.

I've a few comments/questions, just things to mull over during the experimental round and its judging. At the end of the day, they're not worth too much angst, I think, but they are possibly worth considering:

A)

The public poll will be a thread created in which anyone who reads the stories can vote

I'm not sure about the 'public poll' for a couple of reasons.

1) it's abusable. With various shenanigans one could, if so inclined, rig the vote by either voting multiple times oneself (posting from a different computer and/or different IP address or account) or getting one's relatives, friends, minions, pet gerbils, etc to vote. Now it's pretty unlikely that anyone would be sad enough to do this to any great extent but the possibility exists nonetheless.

2) with, what, 14 stories to read, how many voters will have read them all? Or more than a few. As on most game sites, fan fiction tends to be read by relatively few members, and mostly by those who themselves post stories. So will public voting not perhaps reflect more which stories threads were opened rather than which were enjoyed most. If there were going to be hundreds of public votes, that wouldn't matter. But if there are only a few dozen votes, that will skew things in a way that may be undesired. And the fewer the votes the worse such possible skewing will be.

The concept of the public poll is just fine. In fact it's great in principle. But can every voter be encouraged to read (or at least begin reading) every story that's submitted in each round? How effective will that encouragement be? You could require that voters post a quick comment to establish their identity (though that would exclude guests of which there are a reasonable number). It may very well be though that with all authors and judges having effectively 20 votes each that the public poll will be insignificant to the result (340 votes in total from judges/participants, how many will be forthcoming from the public, I wonder).

B)

Each Judge/Author can award each of the following to different stories: 8 votes, 6 votes, 4 votes, 2 votes

'can' or 'must'? I presume, 'must' but I'm not certain. Will authors be allowed to vote for their own stories? My own view on the latter question is that it's fairest either to insist authors give the maximum vote to their own story or that they not be allowed to score it at all.

The Mystery Ingredient should be used in each entry, but doesn't necessarily have to be literal

My emphasis.

Based on that I think neither the item nor theme have to be taken literally. For instance, I toyed with the idea of 'hangover' involving being suspended by the legs above a deep pit. And most chess piece names can be or are (especially 'pawn', which Sliver Chocobo has used, for instance) used metaphorically.

At the time of me bringing up the public poll, it was an idea of getting a larger sample to participate. At that point, I had no idea how many judges I would/would not have. If enough people share those concerns of rigging the contest, we can change it.

As far as the author vote, I did intend that authors wouldn't be able to vote for their own.

And as far as use of the Mystery Ingredient, be creative with it. An item doesn't have to be literal, much like Chocobo interpreting chess piece in the vein of metaphysics. Same with theme. It's a starting point, not a destination.

Final note- Unless a submission has Work in Progress in the title (or WIP) it will be assumed as a final submission. Sorry for the confusion there. I'll edit the first post as soon as I'm on a computer rather than an iPod.

Sorry for the brief response, typing on an iPod is hard, lol.

For voting you could make it that: All contestants have a vote, but can't vote for their own Judges votes are weighted An extra poll to show a more general reception, maybe the winner counts as getting an extra vote. Just an idea. And while I'm not a grammar Nazi by any extent, I am quite critical when it comes to theme, but I'm no judge =] Edit: Oh now I get spaces! Edit 2: spoke too soon ;)

Absolutely Grantt! Welcome to the party, thanks for posting. Just letting people know, I won't be able to really answer anything until about 24 hours from now...stupid work week change. >.< If you need to get in touch with me, please do, I'll just not be able to really get back to you for a little while.

Just to now confirm, The Black is back!

I will be participating in this preliminary round...ideas have formed, now just to squeeze it together into the word count lol....I tend to let ideas run away with me..

Looking forward to it...

EDIT: written! And thank god is just below the 3000 limit!

Now to re-read a few times, try and get the grammar as best as i can do lol..not my forte!

Then to think of a title, and post it soon!

Edited by Absolution Black

Some suggestions:

• Have a link on each person's name in the first post to their story.
  • Ask the mod for the main thread (at least for the officiall competition) to be stickied
  • Let stories be edited during the time period giving, but then cut off before any judging/scores are made. I've held off giving scores so people can make changes up till the 21st (then give people till the end of the month to get their scores in).
  • Everyone needs more pandas, and their inclusion should trump the ingredient =]

Hope this helps. I think it was a great idea to do a test run like this. Now (with my format problem sorted) I need to start my story. Not looking forward to this ;)

Edited by ThePandaDirector