What Paint(s) do you use- 2012 Edition

Dustcrusher

I can't find the old "what paints do you use" thread, so I figured I'd start a new one.

<cue someone finding the old thread in a matter of seconds :-P>

There's a GW paint refresh on the horizon, which I suspect is in part a response to Vallejo's rising popularity. Privateer Press has their P3 range. Coat d'Arms is the company that made some of GW's earlier paints (as I mentioned in the New GW Paint Range thread, I've read a few painting blogs that say the current line isn't as consistent quality-wise as their work for GW was). Foundry has an insane range of prefab shades and highlights for easy mass painting. Reaper has an extensive line as well.

So, whose paint do you use, and why? Dropper bottle or jar/pot? Additives like glaze medium or flow medium?

As I said in the old thread, I use a mix of current Vallejo, a few Reaper paints, and old GW and Ral Partha paints (have yet to see an adequate substitute for their Silks and Satins set). I prefer not to paint straight from the pot as I've had several paints dry out from doing this too frequently.

Vallejo Model Color with Liquitex gesso, mediums, and varnishes. I switched to them from GW and Coat d'Arms around ten years ago and I've been very happy. They're not without their problems though. The droppers clog and they can dry on the brush a little too rapidly at times.

Which brings up a good question, has anyone had luck with non-modeling-specific paints? I grabbed a couple bottles at the arts & crafts store last time I was there but haven't actually tried them yet.

Kind of. I've used some pearlescent airbrush colors as colored metalics. They're typically used on larger scale model vehicles, but also have some automotive applications.

i use only vallejo game colours because of the dropper bottle and the availability of that range of colours locally.

i also use the vallejo glaze medium extensively but am moving to replace that with artist grade medium / extenders because those are easier to find. (the vallejo glaze medium that is in the large bottle is very difficult to find and expensive)

I use P3 mostly, but lately i have been slowing switching over to Vallejo as they started carrying it at my LGS. great news for me! :D I do use the whole line of GW washes though... they are just too good to ignore. though if i could find Vallejo washes, i would at least try them out.

I use P3 mostly, but lately i have been slowing switching over to Vallejo as they started carrying it at my LGS. great news for me! :D I do use the whole line of GW washes though... they are just too good to ignore. though if i could find Vallejo washes, i would at least try them out.

I haven't tried them yet, but Vallejo does have a Wash range. I've been using their inks for that purpose. They are nice.

I haven't tried them yet, but Vallejo does have a Wash range. I've been using their inks for that purpose. They are nice.

Hmm, i will have to look into both the washes and the inks. thank you! :D

GW washes and foundation paints are a definite staple for my painting styles. Also I've never found a replacement that I find acceptable for hawk turquoise. Which I would die without.

Ah, yes, i am the same way with P3's Coal Black!

Which brings up a good question, has anyone had luck with non-modeling-specific paints? I grabbed a couple bottles at the arts & crafts store last time I was there but haven't actually tried them yet.

I'll try anything once. About 12 years ago I picked up some craft paints called Jo Sonja. They were some of the nicest paints that I'd ever tried. They were tube paints and tend to be thicker than most hobby paints but they were also very pigment-dense and very smooth. They thinned well so I had no problems using them. Sadly, they stopped being carried at the local craft store so I stopped using them.

I recently decided to pick up some new tubes online. Not only are they still good - they actually appear to have improved over the years. They're much easier to work with than liquitex acrylics. Also, for about the price of a bottle of hobby paint you can buy a tube that will literally last you for years.

I mostly use hobby paints, though. Citadel and P3 being the most prevalent, but I also have a lot of Vallejo's in the toolbox as well. I actually like Vallejo paints for airbrush work but otherwise I find them a little fiddly to work with. Much as I like the dropped bottles I can't tell you how many times I've had issues with them clogging up. Many of the colors separate a lot and no amount of shaking seems to remedy the situation to my satisfaction.

I've been experimenting with paint additives recently. Golden's retarder is now a regular in my arsenal. I haven't found any flow aids that I like yet. On the other hand... wait until you get to try the new Citadel medium. That stuff rocks the house. How do I know? They included it in the paint brush set they sold around Christmas time and I immediately fell in love. I went through two bottles of it in no time because I found that I was using it as a flow aid, a thinner, and as a base for mixing washes (which is does extremely well since it appears to BE the base that GW uses in their washes).

I'm a big fan of the Reaper Master Series Paints myself. I have a ton of GW and Vallejo as well, but as those run out I've been switching to the Reaper Master Series Paints. I don't care for GW paints drying out despite never having been opened, being replaced, changed or dropped every 5-6 years, and the Vallejo paints tendency to separate beyond being able to be mixed back together even with a vortexer. The GW and Vallejo problems have pushed me to find better paints.

I'm also a big fan of Liquitex acrylics. I use them mostly on terrain projects.

Vallejo and P3 all the way, they are great paints. I stopped using GW when I boycoted and just didn't want to give any more of my cash to that company and I have no regrets about using my GW paints then buying the entire vallejo range, they are a superior quality product and I don't measure but I think you get more paint in Vallejo and P3 paint than you do in GW.

I'm nowhere near being a great painter... but i'll throw in that i use some GW (phasing out all bar washes and a couple of foundations), P3, Coat D'Arms and Vallejo

Not a fan of dropper bottles purely because of how much i paint on the go, i know it's bad practice to paint from the bottle but when you're grabbing 15-20min slots when you can i just find it easier... that said whenever i'm concentrating on a model to look a cut above the rest that's when i do find them great

*edit* will also likely be trying out the army painter line as for warmachine/hordes i use their primers quite a lot