Puppet Wars - Worth buying?

Centa

Since two or three weeks i am thinking about buying Puppet Wars, but im not 100% if it is worth it.

I like the miniatures and the rules sound decent too.

Some stuff i dont like on it:

- no way to get Viki for me as rewards, and buying isnt possible as far as i know (not even on ebay)

- random teddys. I'm not sure how they are packed, is in each booster a random teddy, or is ther only the chance that there is a random teddy in a booster?

I want to play a table top and not a TCG like magic/wow. When i buy something i would like to know what i get.

- in each pawn booster is at least 1 mini you want 2 or 3 times on the field if you play them (Pawn1-> Bayou Gremlin, Pawn2-> Guild Hound, Pawn3-> Piglet)

As long as you dont have a greater community it will be difficult to get these figs more then 2 times without having 4 copies of several base pawns (sadly we are just 3-4 players who would play puppet-wars and it will be hard to find new players)

The last point i mentioned isnt such a big deal, coz i think we will play with picking puppets from a great pool.

Now its your turn, pls convice me that puppet wars is really worth the money and the rules are nice.

I would like to hear some pro and contras from ppl who played some games.

You already have a leg-up on me; I didn't know of which Pawns you would want multiples. I believe there was discussion about the future of Puppet Wars, and that Pokey Vic and the Horseman would be widely available with the next release. Even then, though, you would still need to buy multiple Boosters to get multiples of figures since they will not be sold in single blister packs. Of course you could trade with people here, if you wanted. With Teddies, I really don't know. I haven't heard of any future Teddy distribution.

Other than that, the figures look amazing, and there are several videos on Youtube to allow you to actually watch the game being played. It looks like fun to me! I wish I could tell you more, but I am having a painting service paint up my puppets, and I don't have them yet. :[

Every special edition model(Viki, hooded rider, lucius) will get a normal release eventually we have been told.

Teddies are the only ones that won't. But they have already had one special sale for them over Thanksgiving so they might crop up during other special events from time to time to buy(I bet at say Gencon or maybe black friday next year)

Every special edition model(Viki, hooded rider, lucius) will get a normal release eventually we have been told.

Teddies are the only ones that won't. But they have already had one special sale for them over Thanksgiving so they might crop up during other special events from time to time to buy(I bet at say Gencon or maybe black friday next year)

As long as i cant get them from an online shop, i wont be able to get them. I live in germany and its not possible for me to visit Gencon (16+h of flight is a lil bit too much for me, just to buy some puppets :sadpuppet1 )

I wrote lots of stuff of puppet wars yet. And of course i watched some of the vids online. I'm sure the game is fun and the minatures are fine too.

As i said i only need a little push and i will buy the base game + multiplayer booster.

What i would like to know is, is there any downside with puppet wars? Every coin has two sides :P

The thing with Puppet Wars is that it's a great game to own a play set of and then invite people to play with you, very like Eurogames where one player will own 'Die Siedler von Catan' and then invite players over for a night of beer and games. For a long while I had just picked up 1 of ever pawn set, the Starter and Multiplayer Set and was quite happily using it to run 4 player games with my mates. At 8 puppets a side you don't really notice the lack of doubles of certain models like Gremlins (which actually work fine singlarly) especially if your randomising part of your crew, which keeps things interesting. The limited (to be released later) edition models are nice but not at all essential. I also don't find myself playing a set crew or master, actually getting to the stage where I normally allow people to choose their master and then pick mine at random, they are all fun and a lot of what great about the game is finding random obscure combos while playing.

I now ofc own far more than that as I really enjoy painting and playing with puppets.

The one downside is the counters. I'm fine with the work benches being coloured counters, but the impassible markers are very easy to miss. However as the game is about puppets this is fine, it's very cheap to buy some big wooden buttons of reels of thread to replace the impassible markers.

Edited by Ratty

As long as i cant get them from an online shop, i wont be able to get them. I live in germany and its not possible for me to visit Gencon (16+h of flight is a lil bit too much for me, just to buy some puppets :sadpuppet1 )

I wrote lots of stuff of puppet wars yet. And of course i watched some of the vids online. I'm sure the game is fun and the minatures are fine too.

As i said i only need a little push and i will buy the base game + multiplayer booster.

What i would like to know is, is there any downside with puppet wars? Every coin has two sides :P

Wyrd has never had a sale that they didn't do online as well. Every gencon model has been available online during gencon.

That said, you pretty much just mentioned every single complaint about puppet wars I've ever heard in your first post, except some people complain that some of the counters are flimsy. Although personally I think they're fine for what they are. (Although I am, admittedly, biased)

I have heard very few complaints, if any, about the actual game/models.

http://livininagamerparadise.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

I would agree. The game is great. The big plus for me, is that I can get people who would never consider playing a table top game to play Puppet Wars with me. I own everything, like Ratty, and invite people over to play with my stuff. I too wait until everyone else has picked their master to pick mine. While I have my personal favorites, I enjoy playing all the masters. The models are great and have taken up all my painting time, since I look forward to painting them more than any of my other stuff. The few cons (counters, tokens, etc...) are easily fixed with cheap replacements (I used sewing bobbins). As for getting the "specials," I personally think that is part of the fun (excitement about getting something early from a con, as a surprise in a box, through a trade, or from some sort of contest [there have been several on the facebook site]).

I had my reservations before buying into P-Wars however being of a minis gaming and ccg background I "settled" playing boardgames with my girlfriend.

PW however is that perfect blend to that, mini's, more in depth play and crew building (if desired) but still easy enough to just play with non-tabletop gamers. The fact that some puppets youd want to have multiple copies off come in different packs isnt bothering me nearly as much as randomized ccg concepts. I know how I can get to the things I want, as such its managable to an extend of choosing to buy that extra box for your dream crew or not without having to throw money at it "in the hopes of getting that which you want in a random pack". So I present to you the game that provides the "gaming geek" with his fix of gaming depth while being perfectly able to play with "casual gamers". I can play my GF for a casual fun match or go hardcore with a mate of mine and customized combo laden crews.

The nice thing that Wyrd does is when Gen Con is running you can buy everything online from their webstore. You get all the bonus goodies with your purchase as well.

Thx for all your answers so far. Only one last thing. Can someone tell me something how good the multiplayer works? Especially the 3 player option?

Coz i think we will be more often 3 players instead of 2 or 4.

Multiplayer is fantastic. One of the highlights of the game, in my opinion. :)

We spent a lot of time making sure it worked for more than 2 players in development.

Finally you guys did a good job. You convinced me to buy the game. I just ordered the complete pack (Base+MP+Pawn1-3)

Now im excited and cant wait to get the stuff. I am reading about Puppet Wars since 3 weeks now. Hopefully it will be that awesome as you all told me.

Thanks again for all your comments, a new puppet master is rising.

Edited by Centa

Finally you guys did a good job. You convinced me to buy the game. I just ordered the complete pack (Base+MP+Pawn1-3)

Now im excited and cant wait to get the stuff. I am reading about Puppet Wars since 3 weeks now. Hopefully it will be that awesome as you all told me.

Welcome to the Collective! :D

You wont regret it, I absolutely love the game.

OT but where are you located?

OT but where are you located?

In a land called far far away.

Im from germany, thats why i said i have trouble to visit Gencon or other events in the USA. A flight would take 15 hours to the east cost, and up to 19 hours to the west coast.

When it comes to gaming it rly sucks to live in germany. Almost no events here, and if there is one, i am far away from it 100+ miles.

Sure in germany are some guys playing Malifaux too, but i live in a very small village (2000 inhabitans) and the next "bigger" city (500k) is 35 miles away.

I Played this game for the first time at the weekend and loved it.

went downstairs to buy it and nearly fell over at the cost, for the £150ish pounds it costs to buy game + addons, you can buy a couple of really good board games.

i would love to have this but funds simply don't allow it at this cost :(

You really have to compare it to a miniatures game, for which it is cheap when you consider that for other games both people needed to buy an army. Yeah, the base game is more expensive than a single Malifaux crew, but it's not more expensive than two Malifaux crews + rulebook, which is what you realistically need to play.

But budget is budget. *shrug*

In a land called far far away.

Im from germany, thats why i said i have trouble to visit Gencon or other events in the USA. A flight would take 15 hours to the east cost, and up to 19 hours to the west coast.

When it comes to gaming it rly sucks to live in germany. Almost no events here, and if there is one, i am far away from it 100+ miles.

Sure in germany are some guys playing Malifaux too, but i live in a very small village (2000 inhabitans) and the next "bigger" city (500k) is 35 miles away.

But you have Essen!!

If I spoke German, I think I'd rather go to Essen than Gencon.

Why don't you see if Wyrd are thinking of making a showing there this year.

But you have Essen!!

If I spoke German, I think I'd rather go to Essen than Gencon.

Why don't you see if Wyrd are thinking of making a showing there this year.

Essen would be an option, its still ~320 miles (511km), but that isnt too bad.

But the Spiel in Essen is more an event for causal gaming stuff. I am not sure, if table top games like Malifaux or even Puppet Wars show up there.

If they do, i think i will take a look at it. But i dont really expect Wyrd will be there.

- the german Malifaux community is pretty small

- there isnt a german version of Malifaux (some of us german prefer games in german, i dont know why coz the translation is mostly bad, sometimes wrong. so you have to check the english rules to be sure)

I do not think it would be worthwhile for Wyrd to appear on the Spiel in germany :P

You really have to compare it to a miniatures game, for which it is cheap when you consider that for other games both people needed to buy an army. Yeah, the base game is more expensive than a single Malifaux crew, but it's not more expensive than two Malifaux crews + rulebook, which is what you realistically need to play.

But budget is budget. *shrug*

I think a better comparison is with the larger board game systems (especially those from Fantasy Flight and to a lesser extent Catan/Carcassonne/ Alhambra). Puppet Wars is about the same cost as Dust Tactics, Arkham Horror, or a complete set of one of the Euro games I mentioned.