What was your first mini?

Webmonkey

Maybe we should start a self help group,.. :alcoholic

Hi,.. my name's Phil,.. and I'm a mini-holic,...

It all started out simple enough. I was just painting figs once or twice a week, with some friends. Just to be cool,.. you know,.. at parties.

One fig turned into two figs,.. two turned into four,.. and before I knew it, I couldn't stop,.. I was painting figs every day!!

(to be continued,..;))

~Stands up~

Hi, I'm Eddy and I'm also a mini-holic.

It all started when my older sister introduced me to D&D when I was 8, way back in 1983 and bought my first model then. By the time I was 10 I'd amasses several hundred minis (spending most of my pocket money on them) and had started playing WFB which led to more models.

The years have passed and I now have more factions, gangs, teams, armies and crews than I care to imagine for games across the board including 12 complete Space Marine chapters for Epic (all painted!) and around 6,000 6mm Zulus which I eventually plan to expand to 10,000 to have a accurate force size for a full Rorke's Drift mega game some day.

Presently I am trying to cut back, so just collecting Cryx for Warmachine, Malifaux and 7 armies for 40k...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The years have passed and I now have more factions, gangs, teams, armies and crews than I care to imagine for games across the board including 12 complete Space Marine chapters for Epic (all painted!) and around 6,000 6mm Zulus which I eventually plan to expand to 10,000 to have a accurate force size for a full Rorke's Drift mega game some day.

:worship:

Maybe we should start a self help group,.. :alcoholic

Hi,.. my name's Phil,.. and I'm a mini-holic,...

It all started out simple enough. I was just painting figs once or twice a week, with some friends. Just to be cool,.. you know,.. at parties.

One fig turned into two figs,.. two turned into four,.. and before I knew it, I couldn't stop,.. I was painting figs every day!!

(to be continued,..;))

Hi,

My name is Jessey, I just started painting miniatures and I'm already an addict.

It began years ago with random mini's purchased for running various table top RPGs. I always like to have a cool, custom dude for my hero. Back then it was just base coating really, no washes, no highlights not even sealer. Touch ups here and there where the paint was nicked..

Then I got Super Dungeon Explore (the mini's are so CUTE!) and at the time Reaper had a sale on paints, so I picked up a custom paint kit (56 paints) for a great deal... One mini later, painted using actual techniques, and I found myself searching for an excuse to paint miniatures...

Enter Malifaux, I've now got Colette and the Viks. Cleaned up and primed a couple and am starting to work on 4 mini's at a time.. (up from slowly finishing 1 in 2 weeks a month ago)....

I'm an addict, and I don't want to quit.

:D

A number of years ago I played heroclix and never considered getting into miniature painting. Looking for something to do I decided to paint the bots from RoboRally. I remember telling my roommate, "I can see how people could get into this." It's been an enjoyable hobby since.

A good few years back (when I'd been painting about 10 years on and off) I ended up getting a friend of mine into painting. That was in April, and that September she made the final cut at Golden Demon UK. Less than half a year, compared to my 10, and she was so much better than me it was embarrassing! Her first mini was far better than most of mine were until a year or two ago.

Still, that kind of thing really encourages you to pick up the game a bit!

:worship:

Yeah, praise me for I am your God!... or something... :D

I just spent far to much time going to places when they had sales on (GW used to have sales!), car boot/yard sales, Ebay, trading lists/forums and generally hunting for bargains. I think those Zulus cost me about £80 - 100 second hand, but that was years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
http://i41.tinypic.com/262mmwk.jpg

Well, here's my first mini. Be gentle.

this is really good for a first mini... I'm impressed especially if you take into account the fact that this bucket on legs (definetely one of my favourite models :) ) in this pic in 750x750 resolution is about three times bigger on the screen than it actually is and NO mistakes are apparent! really good. you've got a nice future of painting minis ahead...

• 2 weeks later...

My first (and previously only) attempt at painting minis was for a friends D&D game over 10yrs ago. It was a knight of some sort that I used as my warrior character named Cobalt. It was a crude silver drybrush job over a black primer that ended up being tinted a bit on the blue side due to some poor brush rinsing on my part. Also contributed to coming up with his name.. :)

I really wish I knew where he was. So many moves later and I think he may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Fast forward 10yrs and my buddy gets me interested in Malifaux. Figured (no pun intended) I would just jump right in, buy some minis, brushes, paint and give it a go.

First Malifaux mini - My Voodoo Doll for my Zoraida crew. Thought I should start small to get my feet wet.

post-9693-13911921863868_thumb.jpg

Followed quickly by my first conversion, Lilitu. Her whip came miscast when I purchased the clamshell. Decided to improvise. Still a WIP though.

post-9693-13911921864109_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to posting more pics as I get more of my crew completed.

Let's see... my first mini was a Necron Warrior... painted it metal then tried highlighting with purple... such an epic fail I shall never reveal it to the living...

Malifaux wise tho it would be my Lil'... wanted to do something special with her so I took one of the wings for the mature neph and glued it to her back Sephiroth style... I get compliments on her quite often and she's still my favorite ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Alright,... as promised,.. here's my first conversion. (my first model was a wizard painted with shiny testors paints,.. but it came up missing during one of my moves between houses) This is actually still one of my favorite models,.. in fact, my whole dark elf army is based on this theme. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4038&d=1330479975

attachment.php?attachmentid=4039&d=1330480022

attachment.php?attachmentid=4040&d=1330480063

attachment.php?attachmentid=4041&d=1330480094

attachment.php?attachmentid=4042&d=1330480127

As always,.. thoughts are welcome,...

I'm pretty sure (it was a couple of decades back) the first miniature I painted was a skeleton from the Horde box set (http://www.solegends.com/citboxes/skeletonhorde.htm). Oh boy was it badly painted using enamel Airfix paints.

I can't remember the first conversion but there's probably an 80% chance it used part of a skeleton. Those skulls went on everything.

First Malifaux (much easier to remember) was a performer from Colette's set. I think I've only done one conversion (basing doesn't count) and that was adding a lamp post to a mature neph th_MatureNeph.jpg

I like most of the miniatures as they are to convert them. Gone are the days of 100 Skaven that you need to make look different.