Another noob raises her hand...

SarahHawke

And says: Hey!

Though I have known and been curious about tabletop gaming for many moons, I'm just dipping my toe in. I have been diligently working on some GW models, as my first foray into painting, but I heard about Malifaux, checked out the site and ... if I'm going to *play* anything, I think this is it. Though I'm sure my first few games will be overwhelming, I think I'll be able to wrap my brain around these rules a lot easier than WFB.

Not entirely sure who I'll go with first. Marcus is tempting. As is Colette. As are the Viktorias and Kaeris and and and ... but I can't have them all at once, so, there's much deciding to do.

I'm outside Sacramento, CA (if there are any other locals here!) and, oh yes, my name is Sarah.

How do!

Hey Sarah! I'm Fell, and Malifaux was my first minis game after a short lived affair with Harleqin (40k). This game is pretty easy to pick up, and a lot of fun to play. Being a girl gamer, I totally get the attraction. It was love at first sight for me.

As gar as starting crews, the easiest to learn with are: Viktorias, Lady Justice, Rasputina, Lilith, and Seamus. But my first suggestion would be to find a Henchman near you and ask for a demo. There is a list under resources at Malifaux.com. A henchman should be able to run you through a demo with the view you like, so you can get a feel for it :)

Great to have another lady on the boards! Good luck with crew selection, and welcome to the pewter addiction ;)

Thanks for the welcomes! I've been poking around a bit and reading, so I feel confident that y'all won't bite me. XD

Great to have another lady on the boards! Good luck with crew selection, and welcome to the pewter addiction ;)

Heya, Fell! It is indeed nice to see another lady on the boards. (I know we're not the only ones, but us girls has got to stick together, right?) Hm. Looking at your list of easy learners, maybe I'll put my desire for Marcus on a back burner and go for the Viktorias first.

There's a league play night at my local store that I'll be going to check out so I can see what all of this looks like in real time. I've been doing a lot of reading of posts and such meantime. Can't wait!

Not entirely sure who I'll go with first. Marcus is tempting. As is Colette. As are the Viktorias and Kaeris and and and ... but I can't have them all at once, so, there's much deciding to do.

Marcus, Colllette and Kaeris are all Arcanists. As players expand within the game they do tend to stay within a single Faction. The Viks, as mercenaries can be added to any crew (at a cost) but I wouldn't recommend their boxset. Take a look at the Wiki linked in my sig...

Hello and welcome to Malifaux! Remember to pick up your free packet of cookies as you depart the train in order to feed the starving Teddies and stop them eating little fat kids :D

I started with Colette myself, she's not a easy one to start with, but she's fun to try out and work out as you go along. You will lose your first bunch of games though, but I think that's a given in Malifaux if you ask me, heh. Great models though so even if you don't play them right away I recommend picking up Colette's starter, a pack of Mechanical Doves and some Coryphee... I admit it, I am bias in my love for Colette and her girls, heheh.

A friend of mine has Marcus but not played him yet as he refuses to play with unpainted models (good thing I'm not so fussy, though I am getting that way with Malifaux).

Welcome aboard!

As gar as starting crews, the easiest to learn with are: Viktorias, Lady Justice, Rasputina, Lilith, and Seamus. But my first suggestion would be to find a Henchman near you and ask for a demo.

Sadly there aren't any Henchmen listed up in our area.

Hey Sarah,... My name is Phil. I live in the Vacaville/Fairfield area. (so about an hour outside Sacramento). I do get up that way on occasion, so maybe you can get a game or two in with me if nothing else.

It's, um. So I wasn't supposed to eat the cookies myself? *runnns*

I haven't completely given up on Marcus. I did like theViktorias, though, so I think I may go with them. Without the box set (thanks for the suggestions and pointers, all -- great stuff out there).

Hey, Phil! I'm familiar with Fairfield/Vacaville, at least in passing. It'd be great to meet and play, once I get started, if you're up this way. And yeah, I did check the Henchmen list. Boo.

Howdy! Another gal here. If you like Marcus, I say go with it!! Go with what you like. The rest will come later.

Be comforted with the knowledge that even if you suck when you first start, you will probably be better than me. ;)

But I still have tons of fun playing!

welcome to Malifaux, glad to have another player in the area! :)

I'm also not far outside the Sacramento area, and even though I don't get in many games, I spend way too much time thinking about Malifaux :P

Anyway, I expect as I settle into the area we will be looking to see what we can do to get the local gamers involved, particularly in things like playtesting... so keep an eye out over the coming months!

I love the Viks. They were my first crew, and you know what they say about your first time....

They are very straightforward to play, and can be competitive without cries of being broken or impossible to beat.

That being said there is little in common with other Outcast Masters, so to develop into another crew (Gremlins or Hamelin or Leveticus) entails buying a whole new crew. Other factions can share models a bit more, so you can add a new Master with a couple of other models and get a whole new crew.

You can have a whole lot of fun with the Viks, but bearing in mind the rest of your initial list were all Arcanist IF you think you might buy more than one crew they might be your more cost effective option.

Howdy, Victoria! :)

EricJ, I will definitely keep my eyes open. Not that I'm at the level where I'd be a good playtester, by any stretch of the imagination, but one day!

Serigala, good advice. I haven't bought anything yet, so it's all still sort of up in the air. To be honest, there are so many masters and models that appeal to me that I don't think I'll go wrong wherever I settle. I don't have any real desire for the pigs or gremlins, but other than that... who knows?

• 2 months later...
It's, um. So I wasn't supposed to eat the cookies myself? *runnns*

I haven't completely given up on Marcus. I did like theViktorias, though, so I think I may go with them. Without the box set (thanks for the suggestions and pointers, all -- great stuff out there).

Hey, Phil! I'm familiar with Fairfield/Vacaville, at least in passing. It'd be great to meet and play, once I get started, if you're up this way. And yeah, I did check the Henchmen list. Boo.

Isn't minmax the henchman at great escape games?

http://www.wyrd-games.net/member.php?5974-minmax

Greetings and welcome to the forums and world of Malifaux. Guess if there are two pieces of advice I can give would be the following:

1st- Find the FACTION you like. You might think you will get one box set and be done, but you won't. I chose the Resurrectionist as I like the undead (my name might give that away) and it contains some of the best masters in terms of looks. Sad Kirai-chan, crazy Seamus, mad doctor McMourning, the gentlemen Nicodem, and the pitiful but hopeful Molly make up one heck of a faction. So as you buy, you can switch out pieces from one box set and make up new crews. Kinda of a win win.

2nd-Remember the game is based on objectives. Took me a while to learn that, but my games are getting better now that I keep that in mind.

So that is what I got to offer. The core rules of Malifaux are very easy, it is the rest of the stuff that makes it great.

Isn't minmax the henchman at great escape games? http://www.wyrd-games.net/member.php?5974-minmax
Yeah, but really there are several employees and community members that all would be glad to give advice and/or run a demo game or two. I have several crews myself and might even be enticed to buy another starter box for someone to try if it meant getting another player into the game. Couldn't do that too many times without stretching the pocketbook, but there are a few I've been wanting to pick up anyhow. I would really like to get the Lady J and Dead Justice boxes to run mirror matches as a teaching tool...