da,na,na,na,na,na Hoffman!

TimeLapse

I have usually focused on just killing things with machine puppet. Though I have had a lot of fun by making scrap counters explode. I think I need to use open circuit more.

It's times like those you need the Mechanical Attendant. Or the great big bomb as I think it should be called with Hoffman. =p

Nice good to know.

Btw Ryles Gatling gun trait, it says " after causing severe damage with this weapon target suffers a 1/2/4..." if the 2nd damage flip is also a severe do I get another damage flip since it is still the same weapon and I caused severe damage with it?

I get that I can't with the fully atuomadic trigger but the taleint is not a trigger there for can it be apllyed each time I flip severe?

Yes.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23810

Just remember, each damage is a separate flip, not TOTAL damage, so a model would have to spend SS on each damage flip to prevent damage as well as any damage negation from Armor, etc. In addition, Hard to Wound does not apply since it's just a straight flip, not a damage flip (wording is important in Malifaux!)

Well the models are bought and painted now to playtest!

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28000

Here are the lists I am going to playtest

The hoff

ryle 8ss

peacekeeper 9ss

watcher 3ss

warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

The other list im going to try is

the hoff

ryle 8ss

guardian 7ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

I am happiest in my list building when I have at lest 5 constucts + hoffman at 30ss. I like the hunter but for the points a warden is better. I have yet to try ryle but now that I own him I want to try him out in the battlefield.

I am thinking that 4ss is enough reseve with hoffman for now and since I found the perfect proxy model for the wardens its time to get a few games in. (Well perfect for me I posted them in my holy peacekeeper, hoffman painting post.)

I'll post after action thoughts as soon as I get some games in. Let me know what you think of the 2 lists

- Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

I don't know if anyone is wanting my thoughts on the games I played using the following list but I'll post them anyway,

The 30ss list

The hoff

ryle 8ss

peacekeeper 9ss

watcher 3ss

warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Total 30ss with a 4ss catch

When feild testing a list I like to over think things in the prep stage I had formed 2 hypothesis 1st that I could run hoffman without the guardain and instead run ryle and 2nd that 5 constucts was the key amount in a 30ss list. As I formed my thoughts I then turn off my brain to play. I know some players think of the game like chess anticipating move by thinking ten turns ahead. Me I play with my gut feeling acting and reacting to things in the moment, if i think ahead it is all subconscious. It works for me. I find that hoffman is my master, he fits this play stlye like no other army has before.

Anyways back to the list ryle is worth his wait in gold, after spending his first turn failing all his shoots on turn 2 he delivered one massive 18 damage (or around there) shoot with his first ap.he is a tricky model but once you get used to him he is an awesome power house.

As for the key number that didn't matter, in the end I was puppeting the peacekeeper and ryle so much the added CA or armor never really came up. I think that it depends on the game but hoffman is not as dependent on constucts as I first thought. I am now thinking two or three constucts could do him though I like the list im running alot.

All and all my faverite master is the hoffman, he is just to much fun to play.

I'm about to start a foray into Hoffman after several interesting experiences with othe Guild masters (Lady J and Criid).

I've decided on my core of models - Hoffman, Peacekeeper, Guardian, Watcher, Ryle (total 27SS) - but am still considering sveral options for my remaining 8 SS. This may depend on what my Strategy and opponent are.

I have the Mech attendant, so he may eat up 3ss.

Austringer. 5ss of decent ranged, that I am also considering as a living model for pushing Ryle around using his 0 action.

Exorcist. Magical weapons, and opposing trigger cancellation.

Witchlings or DMs. Because having one of them running around is never a bad thing, and can help vs certain masters.

Warden. Once he's released anyway.

Isn't it nice having all these options? not sure what will work best. As I said, circumstances will dictate my choices I think (though I'll probably still lose horribly).

• 2 weeks later...

Another watcher and a warden if you don't want more soul stones to start. A watcher is great for objectives. 2 can be better.

I don't think I would include the austringer as a lone living model because for it to do it's no-LOS thing it can't move. A drill sergeant totem attached to Ryle makes a better living minion for this as it has link, and will always be near Ryle when he activates.

One thing to be aware of is that if you use the Peace Keeper as Hoffman's ride and reactivate it so he can move even more, none of your stuff will be able to keep pace. With the peace keepers free walk move, the watcher and the mechanical attendant will be the only minions which will be able to keep up if you spend 3 AP moving.

I love the warden on paper and will buy some when they are released. I hope they work as good as I think they will. But I play Hoffman and Lucius together a lot and the Warden bridges these two master's well.

I don't think I would include the austringer as a lone living model because for it to do it's no-LOS thing it can't move.

Actually, the Austringer always ignores cover and LoS. I've found that the Austringer works very well, but like you I am eagerly waiting for the Warden. As for taking two watchers versus a watcher and a 5 stone model, I figure it really comes down to what strategy you're running. For something like Destroy the Evidence I would take the 2 watchers for the increased mobility. Being able to reactivate them makes them that much faster for objective grab.

Also, your observation about being too speedy with the Peacekeeper is very accurate, and a problem I had before I realized Hoffman functions best with his crew between 4" and 6" away. With Hoffman's crew, they have enough armor to be able to plod across the board without worrying too much about incoming fire

I'm about to start a foray into Hoffman after several interesting experiences with othe Guild masters (Lady J and Criid).

I've decided on my core of models - Hoffman, Peacekeeper, Guardian, Watcher, Ryle (total 27SS) - but am still considering sveral options for my remaining 8 SS. This may depend on what my Strategy and opponent are.

I have the Mech attendant, so he may eat up 3ss.

Austringer. 5ss of decent ranged, that I am also considering as a living model for pushing Ryle around using his 0 action.

Exorcist. Magical weapons, and opposing trigger cancellation.

Witchlings or DMs. Because having one of them running around is never a bad thing, and can help vs certain masters.

Warden. Once he's released anyway.

Isn't it nice having all these options? not sure what will work best. As I said, circumstances will dictate my choices I think (though I'll probably still lose horribly).

Hello, I am finding in my own experance with hoffman that I like to at all times have 5 constucts. Though I have 2 watchers there damage out put and usefulness is limited. The list for 30ss I been kicking around is the following

Hoffman

Mechanical. Attendant 3ss

Guardain 7ss

watcher 3ss

Peacekeeper 9ss

Ryle 8ss

Now at first look his totem is not that great, but he is more resilanet then a watcher with armour +1 and heath 5, and is kinda a miny ryle with his gun. This gives your list a bit more range and a not so bad damage if puppeted.

I also favor wardens for objective grabing missions this is what my list for that looks like,

Hoffman

warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

peacekeeper 9ss

watcher 3ss

Mechanical attendent 3ss

Alot of hoffman players like watchers for objective grabing, but for me there a bit slow at it. The peacekeeper and wardens can move 15 incehs in a activation. With moblie or arachnid they are not hindered by most terrain. If you look at my painted army in the showcase section you can see I have 3 warden proxy dalek models and im finding wardens fast and key models for my objective based lists.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28000

One thing I have noticed hoffman is happiest in a list of 4-5 constucts.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Another watcher and a warden if you don't want more soul stones to start. A watcher is great for objectives. 2 can be better.

I don't think I would include the austringer as a lone living model because for it to do it's no-LOS thing it can't move. A drill sergeant totem attached to Ryle makes a better living minion for this as it has link, and will always be near Ryle when he activates.

One thing to be aware of is that if you use the Peace Keeper as Hoffman's ride and reactivate it so he can move even more, none of your stuff will be able to keep pace. With the peace keepers free walk move, the watcher and the mechanical attendant will be the only minions which will be able to keep up if you spend 3 AP moving.

I love the warden on paper and will buy some when they are released. I hope they work as good as I think they will. But I play Hoffman and Lucius together a lot and the Warden bridges these two master's well.

Well, if you include a Guardian, as most Hoffman lists do, he can also keep pace after a double walk due to his overprotective characteristic. He can catch up to the Hoffman/Peacekeeper combo.

Well, if you include a Guardian, as most Hoffman lists do, he can also keep pace after a double walk due to his overprotective characteristic. He can catch up to the Hoffman/Peacekeeper combo.

I must be reading his card wrong because I haven't been able to do it very well. Of course I also have been using the peace keeper as Hoffman's ride and usually extend him way to far.

I must be reading his card wrong because I haven't been able to do it very well. Of course I also have been using the peace keeper as Hoffman's ride and usually extend him way to far.

That is what makes wardens soo nice is that they have the same speed as the peace keeper, a list like

Hoffman

peackeeper 9ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Mollie tool kit 4ss

Guardian 7ss

35ss

Could be crazy good with speed and keep alot of constucts in the right area. I would move two wardens up 15 inches, then the peacekeer with hoffman and then the mobllie tool kit comes in tow. That is if you want to move fast the last warden moves up and then the guardain moves twice. If your opponet is follish enogh to charge some of your constucts then use hoffman's pualse spell to take care of that issue since he and the totem have yest to activate. The totem in this list is just a tag along healer for the most part.

Played alot with Hoff recently & finally come up with a favourite list!

Hoff

Watcher

PeaceKeeper

MTK(The thing that makes this great is handy)

Joss

Ryle

I know its small but every turn everything is a threat for the oppenent.Basically 1st turn chuck peacekeeper,hoff,mtk and watcher out there and keep ryle & joss back to cover.Joss great counter charger.

I don't play wardens yet & have found guardian to be to situational.Also have gone off idea of clumping more than 3 constructs around hoff as can make some schemes/scenarios/gangs really hard to play against.

Cheers

Justin

Played alot with Hoff recently & finally come up with a favourite list!

Hoff

Watcher

PeaceKeeper

MTK(The thing that makes this great is handy)

Joss

Ryle

I know its small but every turn everything is a threat for the oppenent.Basically 1st turn chuck peacekeeper,hoff,mtk and watcher out there and keep ryle & joss back to cover.Joss great counter charger.

I don't play wardens yet & have found guardian to be to situational.Also have gone off idea of clumping more than 3 constructs around hoff as can make some schemes/scenarios/gangs really hard to play against.

Cheers

Justin

I don't know for me the tool kit at 4ss is a bit pricey expescially when it is "easy to wound" one attack normaly kills the thing if not 2 and bam 4ss is just dead.

The mechanical attendant at 3ss is a more survivable chioce with health 5 and armor. He also gives you a 2nd scavenger. Having two models that can pick up scrap tokens is huge. I also like to point out that he is significant with a mini ryle gun. I find the totem less like a totem and more like a good 3ss constuct to add to my list, I wiah I could run 3 as a non unique minnion at 3ss.

I haven't tryed joss it seems without armor he would be easyly killed, I guess I just don't know how to run him. Hiw do you run him or ar you counting on ranged attacks to focus on another model?

Edited by TimeLapse

I don't know for me the tool kit at 4ss is a bit pricey expescially when it is "easy to wound" one attack normaly kills the thing if not 2 and bam 4ss is just dead.

The mechanical attendant at 3ss is a more survivable chioce with health 5 and armor. He also gives you a 2nd scavenger. Having two models that can pick up scrap tokens is huge. I also like to point out that he is significant with a mini ryle gun. I find the totem less like a totem and more like a good 3ss constuct to add to my list, I wiah I could run 3 as a non unique minnion at 3ss.

I know what you are saying about the MTK, but don't forget that Hoffman can let it ignore Easy to Wound with his maintain machines. The MTK is still squishier than the Attendant, with one less DF, fewer WD, and no armor, but I find for healing he is helpful. He has his Weld Together plus he gives Hoffman a :tomes for his Combat Mechanic healing.

Usually by keeping Joss at back find you can hide him with terrain & find with peacekeeper,hoff etc that oppenent has more pressing matters.Find by late 2/3rd turn somwthing you want him to charge so goes in.Burns 3 power counters & 2 wounds to reactivate which then flurry and kills what he needs.At end gives himself 3 armour with 3 power counters earned by flurrying & takes some shifting!Favourite target has been stitched so far!Esp good when know enemy have to be somewhere because of schemes.

I tried the attendant for a long time & could never understand why I struggled with him.On paper looks good but never done what was needed.I think in the end it came down to speed.Was always spending his 2 AP to get to Hoff.The MTK does not need so is a (cheapish)construct always close where he needs to be.The fact he can heal,cast spells,give a book(never used that)is a bonus!Usually think he's worth his points for +1casting and ability to give fast when needed!& again if people are spending ap killing him their not targeting your expensive 3 models& master.People don't attack guardian cause no real need to!

Cheers

Justin

Edited by Justin Plimmer
Wrote guardian insead of attendant