Wooden floor bases...

Tarragon

So, my Nightmare LCB and accompanying crew are becoming a reality, and I've decided I want wooden bases. My question is where to get them?

I know Wyrd do some VERY nice Orphanage bases, and that's all well and good.... except my crew configuration is somewhat prohibitive...

Dreamer/LCB

3 Daydreams

3 Teddies

That's 4 30mm's and 4 50mm's. Off of Wyrd that's 5 blisters of bases, which I simply cannot afford at this present time.

But, I also can't see a logistical way of effectively using coffee stirrers or ice-cream sticks to get the same effect without lots of gluing, filing, filling, pinning and painting. Nor am I a good enough sculptor to use GS and just sculpt wooden floors.

Any suggestions?

What i did was fill the bases with a putty (i used greenstuff cos i had a lot of it kicking about) just so it was a bit higher then the base itself, then sculpt in floor boards. Worked out cheap because i had all the materials already and was quick too.

For sculpting it was very easy. I just used a metal ruler and pressed down into the greenstuff to create the boards, then pressed in little lines to join them together to complete the effect and scratched the surface.

EDIT: I also think back-to-base-ix make some cheap wooden floor board bases, and Fenris Games on eBay as well.

Using actual wood is always dicey because the scale of the wood grain looks off. If you are up for actually making the bases, I'd recommend these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic#p/u/74/TmLq__4Q_IU

This is his process for crafting a wood base. His is for Collette, but the principle is sound even if the color choice is kind of... bright.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic#p/u/69/n3Cx9C-VeA8

Here's his follow up that gets a more distressed floor, great for sad orhanages.

Edited by Clement
fixing links

I actually printed mine.

Bought a circle cutter from a dollar store. and printed up some printable terrain texture. I needed to alter the brightness and contrast a little to get it where I like it. Little bit of glue stick to glue it to a base and voila, done. Just need to be careful pinning the model to the base, model glue causes a little discolouration on the base. Only noticeable if you use way to much glue.

Not as nice as fully painted base, but 2% of the time involved.

I actually printed mine.

Bought a circle cutter from a dollar store. and printed up some printable terrain texture. I needed to alter the brightness and contrast a little to get it where I like it. Little bit of glue stick to glue it to a base and voila, done. Just need to be careful pinning the model to the base, model glue causes a little discolouration on the base. Only noticeable if you use way to much glue.

Not as nice as fully painted base, but 2% of the time involved.

Good idea. I am going to do the same thing to create some rugs over a wood floor.

Here is the method I most commonly use. It's cheaper on the wallet than trying to mass produce greenstuff bases. (of course in this game no so much, but warhammer...good luck) It's also a bit quicker, will hold up to more punishment also easier to create realistic wood looks :) Just a suggestion, all of these are good ideas.

Crap...here's the link

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Augifertangtan

i know you said you couldnt do it but i made these out of paddlepop sticks.

started by taking a quarter of the stick off, then with a blade just carved them to shape. it was quite easy and looks effective

the floors are all propped up with H beams like under a theatre floor. for the smaller bases i used the paddlepo sticks to elevate the floor past the lip

photo-933.jpg

photo-1121.jpg

I would also use miliput and a the back of a craft knife to cut the gaps between them. Dont try to sculpt the grain as it would be invisible at the scale, which is why real wood looks off, and best sugested by painting & washing. If my camera was not at the menders I would show you some pictures of the duck boards I am doing.