Molly Changes

Fulgrima

I have had a quick look and I couldn't see it anywhere else but I took my new shiny Seamus crew out for a spin today (don't ask how well it went :P ) but when I was looking over what little Molly could do. I noticed that The Philosophy of Uncertainty now states that it works on non-leader models and can only be cast once per crew turn. Now to be honest I don't really understand the change at all as I cannot see how it could be game breaking even trying to force it through with the necrotic machine.

This also isn't on the malifaux.com changes I think that it should be put up there.

With Molly's ability to summon a totem there was the potential to get it off multiple times per turn. For instance the totem casts it sucessfully, Molly activates and summons a new totem and then that new totem can cast it again.

you need 3 really decent crows that have got to go down for that or start burning ss not to mention its 2 corpse counters to get the machine back. So if you kill something that is 30mm you need another body and not everything is coming packing living models.

We all know that molly is the most powerful and broken henchmen so she needed to be toned down....... jk......

It may be a precursor to new horrors models in the next book and a found broken combo to do with something that is not out yet and they wanted to fix it before it gets abused.

I never saw it as too powerful and it is still up for obey abuse (if you can use it) since I could obey her as a henchmen and getter to kill a guild dog or something small and get her killed as well and get around her slow to die. Though I thought you couldn't use ablities that sacrificed models that you just obeyed. Hmmm.

Making it once per Crew turn also stops it being an Obey target (eg. Hamelin)

I don't think you could Obey for Philosophy of Uncertainty, as it sacrifices the caster.

But still, an auto-kill spell is pretty powerful, I can certainly see why they'd want to stop the potential for there to be 2 or maybe even 3 a turn (Necrotic Machine uses, Molly summons another then uses it herself, then new Necrotic machine uses it - not sure about the AP on that off the top of my head though).

I don't think you could Obey for Philosophy of Uncertainty, as it sacrifices the caster.

But still, an auto-kill spell is pretty powerful, I can certainly see why they'd want to stop the potential for there to be 2 or maybe even 3 a turn (Necrotic Machine uses, Molly summons another then uses it herself, then new Necrotic machine uses it - not sure about the AP on that off the top of my head though).

AP wise it is possible however the second machine in that situation would need to be either summoned into 4" of the target or be lured or something to within 4". As they will be summoned with slow.

AP wise it is possible however the second machine in that situation would need to be either summoned into 4" of the target or be lured or something to within 4". As they will be summoned with slow.

Well then think of it as a way from stopping people from putting too much effort into one spell.

I think it's a good change, as it brings it more in line with abilities of a similar nature (not affecting Masters, etc). It may not have been 100% necessary for balance, but as you say, it would've been so hard to do it another way it's hardly a nerf. It really just brings in some consistency with similar abilities.

• 1 month later...

Just to point out, the necrotic machine is her totem, so if one casts it, then she casts it, the third one dies as a result as well due to no connected model isn't it? ( i know its not strictly relevant, just curious if the totem can be summoned to someone else and still cast her spells some way that i don't know of? )

Just to point out, the necrotic machine is her totem, so if one casts it, then she casts it, the third one dies as a result as well due to no connected model isn't it? ( i know its not strictly relevant, just curious if the totem can be summoned to someone else and still cast her spells some way that i don't know of? )

I think you misunderstood...they weren't having molly cast it..molly was only summoning a new necrotic machine which gets connected to her. The idea was that molly could stay safe and bomb models around her like crazy.

At the cost of 2 CC and a médium to high crow, and only able to summon one per turn, I dont really think she can really "bomb around like crazy". Ohh, and remember you would need another high Crow plus a Soulstone to cast the Philosophy one with the NMachine too!

At the cost of 2 CC and a médium to high crow, and only able to summon one per turn, I dont really think she can really "bomb around like crazy". Ohh, and remember you would need another high Crow plus a Soulstone to cast the Philosophy one with the NMachine too!

I agree that its not something that your going to spam. I am however willing to spend that high crow and the soul stone it if gives me a decent shot at auto killing a corner stone piece in my opponents army. Also it might take them by surprise... the first time.

I've found the better use for a Necrotic machine is to spam cast the Rogue Necromancy's Acid Breath and then if something nasty gets close to the machine have it blow up and kill the nasty with The Philosophy of Uncertainty.

Breath acid is a wonderful spell for the Necrotic, it is the one thing that has worked very well every time I've run Molly out the gate.