New to Collodi. Could use some Tips

Asphyxxious

So as the title says im starting a Collodi crew. My main question is when is it better to have Collodi hiring your crew then Zoraida. It seems like once you include Zoraida she is pretty much 10 points because you then have to pay the 8 for Collodi and the Cache is dropped to 5 from essentially 7. So is it generally better to stick to Collodi in smaller games and Zoraida in larger ones? The way I see it was she will make a Voodoo doll and obey. Then after that pretty much make wicked dolls and obey a whole bunch making her points back eventually and grabbing an objective possibly at the end of the game. Not sure if i am overlooking anything.

Models i have access too atm are

Collodi

4 Marionettes

6 Wicked dolls

2 stiched

and a bunch of nightmares pretty much from my dreamer crew. Although i just ordered Z and the last stiched together.

collodi is fine on his own, but the reason people run him with zoraida is that he doesn't need soul stones. when you have soulstones on collodi you are at a loss of what to do with them since he doesn't really ever interact with enemy models. similarly zoraida doesn't have synergy with any particular models so is good in any crew. make a voodoo doll out of someone turn one, then later that turn or on turn two have your puppets go beat everyone up.

Hmm i suppose that makes sense. I should also mention i have not had a chance to play him yet. So to me everything is just theory so far. I will try and get a game in tomorrow though.

Pretty much all i know is he shoots around the board and does dirty things lol.. i take it the movement is from the marionettes pull strings ability and then what? all the wicked dolls just (0) hags toys to Coloddi and kill things? So Coloddi would pretty much be used to give fast to the wicked dolls and be used as a beacon for them to port in on then? If thats the case whats the correct activation order usually since its a pulse. Collodi goes first giving stuff fast. Then marionettes put Collodi where he needs to be. Then wicked dolls now with fast and possibly melee expert port to him to do the damage?

Probably nooby questions but im the first person to pick up Collodi where i play so im not really sure

yep that is pretty much how it works. give everything fast. marionette walks, pulls strings. never marionette teleports, walks, pulls strings, etc. until you get in range of the target and then they start flurrying. and yeah the other dolls can just pop on in when it is their turn too. you can companion most of it, but to the extent you can't, you can also just out activate them.

as far as anything more you would need, there is simply no reason not to max out on stitched.

I am most definetely getting the stitched. Already have the third... and fourth ordered for my dreamer crew so it works really well that way.

One question though if I have Z hiring my crew and bring Collodi can I take a primordial magic and attach it to Collodi?

Edited by Asphyxxious

Ok so after looking on the crew builder and looking in the rule book it appears that i can actually hire the primordial magic and attach it to Collodi. But now i am even more confused. Dont have the rule book on me right this second but if i remember right henchman only count as being masters if they are hiring the crew which he wouldnt be. So now my questions are can he companion with the primordial since its companion(master)? And also could it use magical extension? Im pretty sure it only casts one of your "masters" (1) spells.

Edited by Asphyxxious

Ok so after looking on the crew builder and looking in the rule book it appears that i can actually hire the primordial magic and attach it to Collodi. But now i am even more confused. Dont have the rule book on me right this second but if i remember right henchman only count as being masters if they are hiring the crew which he wouldnt be. So now my questions are can he companion with the primordial since its companion(master)? And also could it use magical extension? Im pretty sure it only casts one of your "masters" (1) spells.

master, or in the case of hechman the henchman :) its not written but it's only natural that the companion is to "master" of the totem, meaning the one who you hired it for. (in this case collodi)

Ok :) great to hear. I really like the idea of bringing the primordial with him.

So as of now i have or have ordered for possibly relevant models are

Z

Collodi

4x marionettes

4x stitched

6x Wicked dolls

Voodoo doll

Primordial magic

Insidious madness

Lilitu

Lelu

Kinda doubt Lelu and Lilitu will find a spot here and the Insidious seems situational.. although makes the stitched very very scary and will make hex and obey much easier to get off.

Past that the only things i really see that might be somewhat useful are the arcane mysterious and carrion effigies which i cant even get yet or maybe the doppelganger.. but im not sold on him yet.

So with that are there any tips or tricks to his playstyle? Like i said i havnt even seem him play before. Pretty much the extent of what i have gathered is use marionettes for his movement pretty much to get a lot of dolls where you need and the stitched make great screening models with their fog plus WP8 stitched are scary apparently :P. Past that i dont see too many things to do with him so any subtle or not too obvious tricks would be great to hear.

Edited by Asphyxxious

when playing the Collodi crew I find the biggest problem is resisting the urge to get into melee turn 1. Your stitched are too far back to really help. your best bet is to try and position for turn 2 strike, and have Collodi and marionettes strike, hopefully having 1 pulling Collodi back before you opponent strikes. Giving your opponent a choice of striking Collodi for the big points or the stitched which are about to strike.

So i should pretty much try and not engage till i have at least one marionette to pull Collodi back a little bit? That makes sense. so try and keep stuff behind the stitched fog until you are close enough to do damage and leave somewhat safely. I think he plays slightly differently then i originally thought. I kinda thought you would want to keel him close so the wicked dolls could (0) to him and do all their attacks. This seems a lot like im playing my dreamer crew again >.< strike from really far away and make it so they cant attack back really lol.

So with everything being so squishy how do all the dolls just not get killed? When you go in and attack do they really get THAT much damage in where they are somewhat safe?

mostly the dolls do die...and then you make more. You can usually get away with this because before they died they gutted the enemy force pretty good.

Also consider "filled with stones" spell from collodi, it makes a doll a lot tougher, lasts until the end of the game, and the reduction in speed is unimportant because at 4" walk they can still walk and pull strings to move Collodi the same 8" that they could with a 5" walk.

Also don't forget that when you pull a marionette to Collodi (with retract) you get to place it where ever you want touching his base. That alone can get you another 4" of movement over the course of 4 marionettes slinging Collodi across the board.

As for the dreamer, I agree it's a similar play style. Personally I think that Collodi is really what they were trying for with the dreamer- a fast ambush predator that can be hurt in return if the initial strike isn't hard enough. They just kind of way overshot the mark with the kid. :)

Hadn't quite looked at the numbers but that's a good point filled with stones doesn't really slow you down. Can make them quite durable. Do you generlly just put filled with stones on one of them early and have that one take the hits for you? Or on multiples or maybe even collodi himself?

I really like the dreamers playstyle.. but feel a little dirty playing him tbh. Especially since our group is pretty much just getting used to the game he's a little much sometimes. Atleast its a similar playstyle still so not too much to adjust there.

I can't just stick to one master anyway. I know I will atleast play all the neverborn masters. Most likely a lot more. Atlest judging off of how often I changed factions in wm/h.

It seems like z and collodi lists don't change much.. just if you want to include z or not and the number of wicked dolls and stitched change. Is that about right?

My typical Collodi crew at 35ss (the norm here) is as follows.

Zoraida

Collodi

Primordial Magic

3x Marrionettes

2x Stitched Togethers

Doppleganger

Generally I use the first turn to have Collodi walk once (hells yes 2 inches) and then fill himself with stones. Then I typically activate my marionettes one at at time and get Collodi into position for a turn two alpha strike. Z activates and summons a voodoo doll on something for an obey then Ravens as her last action. The voodoo doll obeys the Stitched to Charge forward, the Doppleganger mimics Obey and Z's wk to move forward and obey the other stitched to charge forward. The stitched then postion themselves within 4 inches of Collodi. The puking snake tries to keep up.

This enables me to have an amazing turn two. The doppleganger gives a great chance of winning the initiative, then Collodi activates and makes all the dolls fast and hands out Melee Expert and companions all the Marionettes and a Stitched. A marionette then pulls me where I need to be and makes a couple of attacks and the others teleport in and flurry or reposition me. Then the stitched unleashes hell with WP 7 Gambles then puts up some fog. Later on in the turn the Doppleganger can throw out some WP 10 Gamble Your Lifes and Z can summon a Wicked Doll who can teleport over to the fray to get stuck in as she and her totem toss out some obeys.

I sometimes take Bad Juju over the double Stitched. It is pretty hilarious to have your half of the table be populated by only a lonely Zoraida and her Voodoo Doll.

I know I can't use 4.. but sadly 2 come in the dreamer box and 2 in the blister so I couldn't really end up with 3 lol.. kinda awkward

A couple things I'm not so sure on.. when the doppelganger takes zoraidas walk in that example is it because she used raven for wk 10? If so I think raven is till end of activation. Other then that pretty nice though. I thought 4 marionettes was kinda mandtory. How does having 3 work out for you?

I myself have actually just got both Zoraida and Collodi and am wondering if Silurids have any place in a crew list with the two of them? I quite like them myself, but everything seems to be focused exclusively on Collodi and his dolls, Zoraida just seems to be there for the sake of being there.

I should add that based on the models I currently have my list for 35pts looks like this:

Zoraida

Collodi

Bad Juju

Marionette x 3

Silurid x 2

Edited by BlueJoker
added list

It seems like z and collodi lists don't change much.. just if you want to include z or not and the number of wicked dolls and stitched change. Is that about right?

Yeah, even more than other henchmen Collodi has limited force selection, and he really needs 4 marionettes to be effective.

Zoraida is the opposite, she works with almost anyone and has a huge variety of potential viable lists.

I have been playing Collodi for a while, and I have been somewhat unimpressed with the Stiched Together, mpstly due to their inability to keep up with the rest of the crew. So, I tend to leave them out. If I have enough soulstones, I prefer Zoraida, Doppelganger, Collodi, Widow Weaver, Marrionettes and Wicked Dolls. Zoraida, Doppelganger, and Widow Weaver can all make more Wicked Dolls, all of which can teleport to Collodi, who I tend to have closer to the enemy with Dolls between him and them. Then I just swarm the enemy models, wounding and poisoning them so that they don't last too long, especially when the dolls have Flurry or Fast.

How come stitched seem slow to you? If you only run 2 you can get them pretty far. turn 1 z and the voodoo doll can each obey one to charge 6" collodi can give each of them fast right? so move move move 12" youre at 18" and can still put up fog if you want. So even the slow stitched can get 6" from your opponents deployment zone turn 1 fairly easily considering being that close turn 1 is probably quite unnecessary most of the time. Unless i am missing something of course. Which i might be.. still havnt got a chance to get a game in with him :(

The Stiched Together just feel slow because of the way that the Marionettes can make Collodi bounce across the table and the Wicked Dolls teleport right to him. Also, I haven't used Zoraida yet, so I don't know how much she can help. I've been meaning to use her, but it is jus too much fun having all of those Dolls in a 30 or 35 SS game. ;)

Ahh yeah without Z it slows that down quite a bit. I still havnt played a game with Collodi sadly. I played a league match today but ran the dreamer because im still missing a few models for Collodi. They are ordered just not here yet. But when they are here I will be sure to try him out.. hmm is Collodi a he?

When the models get here i think im gunna try

-25ss-

Z 7 ss cache

Collodi

-Primordial Magic

4x Marionette

Stitched

or

Collodi 0ss cache

4x marionettes

3x stitched

3x Wicked Dolls

Only 25ss because thats what our league is at for now to try and get new players into it. I kinda like the second list more for 25ss because of the model count. Plus with just Collodi it would be more simple to test him without Z