Shel Silverstein insp. dreamer crew, and others

GodimusPryme

so I am finally getting back into mofo after a year long hiatus, thanks in large part to the new book and my gamer ADD.

Thought I would share my progress with you all as I work through my tremendous backlog of stuff.

First up is my dreamer crew which started out as: "well I want coppelious for hoffman and the Dream crew box has been sitting at the lgs for a year......" Then I got inspired to have the dreamer walking on a sidewalk that is ending, like Shel Siverstein's poem/book: "where the Sidewalk ends."

This is what I came up with, let me know what you think...

DREAMERfront.jpg

DreamerBack.jpg

NightmaresGroup.jpg

CHOMPYFRONT.jpg

ChompyBack.jpg

ChompyTop.jpg

LeluFront.jpg

more to come soon, If anyone wants a close up, just ask, I has them ready, just not posted yet

Very nice! Hoffman's crew looks very sinister, which works really nicely. Especially impressive for such a bright colour scheme - kudos!

I'm not fully convinced by the Witchling Stalker's blue OSL on his scarf - it looks sorta messy. The weathering on his clothes OTOH is downright magnificent! The grey dust looks utterly awesome.

How did you do the faded yellow paint on the Miner? It looks very real.

hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

as for the questions, the first one is easy, about the bases of my dreamer crew:

here is a WIP pic of lord chompybitz and his base, with an explanation following

ChompyWIP.jpg

so what I did here was use Industrial Design model making foam. of the Tan variety. ( the different colors of foam had different densities and also diff $ amounts too. Tan is denser than yellow, and still pretty inexpensive. Don't know where to get it ATM, but try art supply and college book stores that sell materials...

I just looked at my hand and cut out the shapes in the foam with my xacto, and built the base from the palm up, with the finger joints as separate pieces. After shaping with the knife, i gave the pieces a light sand with an emery board, and then sealed the foam with zap-a-gap, brushing the excess glue off the modeling foam with a pluck foam square from my transport case. (pluck foam is a great super-glue sponge, just don't let it linger, keep it moving) The "water" is done with green stuff that i pressed a dremel tool into to get the wave effect.

as for the yellow, i built up to yellow with Vermin Brown, then Vomit Brown, then Bleached Bone, then Golden Yellow, then some brief striations with some silver(Boltgun Metal) and finally a light black wash to tie it all together. also, the successive layers of color are thin and inconsistent. I find that allowing the darker layers to show through a little ads to the depth of the final color and gives it a weathered feel.

sorry for all the words, off to think about which of my unpainted crews to finish next!

later,

pryme

Looks great! I (not a very good painter) am awed at the detail that everyone does on the figures! I am actually in the progress of stripping the paint off of my crews and going to repaint for detail and not just to get them done. The bases look INCREDIBLE! Would have never thought of it! Hope to see more!