Choosing a good bag for Malifaux

Q'iq'el

I've been using traditional big figure cases back in my Warhammer days, but Malifaux is presenting me with a real challenge as to the good bag selection and for that reason I've kept on using self-made boxes with generic foam for over a year now.

This is far from ideal solution and I'm starting to think ordering a bag may be necessary. I'd like to ask for some advice from other players.

Here are the conditions:

1. As I'm in Japan, the only locally available cases are the horid GW monstrosities. And they aren't cheap either (70$ or so for a small one).

2. From what I've seen, only KR-Multicase ships free of charge internationally. With every other popular manufacturer the cost of shipment adds to the cost of the bag.

3. My collection currently includes 3 crews:

Resurrectionits: 19 30mm models, 1 40mm model. Expected to grow by 7 30mm and 1 or 2 50mm model very soon.

Arcanists: 11 30mm models, 2 40mm and 1 50mm. Expected to grow, but no determined number yet. One more 50mm model expected too.

Neverborn 9 30mm models, 4 40mm and 2 50mm (Nekima included). Expected to grow by at least 4~5 30mm models and 1 50mm, perhaps more.

So in the near future at least I'll need a bag for ~50x 30mm, 7x 40mm and 6 or so 50mm models, one of which is very large (Nekima).

What I've managed to find out:

1. Battlefoam - the dedicated Malifaux bag seems to be getting very high notes in the community, but it also seems a bit smallish. It will take 32 medium models (large 30mm & 40mm) and 36 smaller models, but I don't know how many of my bigger models the 2" foam will hold.

The shipment will easily cost 50USD or so, so we're looking at 130USB bag which may have not enough space for my 50mm models and will leave me with slots for only 10 extra smaller models in the future. I.E. almost full.

2. KR Multicase - they offer actually 2 systems, if I understand their somewhat difficult page right. KR-Multicases and Aquilla Skirmish bags.

If I go with dedicated Malifaux storage solution, I get a big cardbox filled with their J5H foam for 8-12 big figures and 4x trays for total of 72 30~40mm figures, or 2x J2H foram for 16~24 big figures and 3 trays for 54 smaller models.

That promises some decent storage capability for the future and is very cheap, comparatively: 39USD with shipment.

They also offer Aquilla bags for Skirmish games, which seem like a good way to transport the trays around (so if I go somewhere, I can take only one or two crews with me).

However:

- I have hard time getting a picture of their largest J2H and J5H trays filled with Malifaux models and I can't tell if my 6~7 50mm minis will fit in it or how much space will be left.

I also can't tell the difference (is it better to go with 2xJ2H or 1xJ5H?).

I don't need that much space for smaller models, if I'm going to run out of options for the bigger minions.

- Only Aquilla Four (the largest) bag seem fit to carry 51mm foam and even they take only the smaller J2H trays.

- Aquilla Four means extra 50$, bringing the price to 90$, but there are extra trays with it.

*KR seems to offer, over all, the cheapest and most spacious solution, with a chance of landing with both a carrying bag and a storage case. Too bad there are no pictures on their pages that would show how well Malifaux models fit the trays (esp. the big ones).

3. Feldherr Cases have an excellent range of small cases for wargaming miniatures. They also offer a lot of interesting patterns for their standard trays and it seems their pluck-foam is self adhesive, making it possible to reshape it according to your current needs.

Their Mini-Plus cases seems like just the right size for a single Malifaux crew, with some spare space. They can take one small tray for 16 minis and one big pluck foam tray.

However:

- even the small cases cost up to 50$, so they come across as pricy.

- shipment to Japan isn't free.

- their trays seem to fit Malifaux sizes poorly. Small trays are for 25mm based models and may be too small for 30 or 40mm models. Pluck foam comes in 60 and 100mm depth, but I'm not sure how many of our large models would fit in a single half-sized 60mm tray.

*I like the aesthetics of Feldherr cases and foam trays, but they come across as a luxury choice (I'd probably have to spend 150$ + shipment) and I'd have little space to expand.

So my question is twofold and I hope the thread will benefit other Malifaux players, not only me (hence the extended report on my own research).

1. Which of the above offers do you use and how good a solution it is for Malifaux?

2. What other cases do you use and recommend and why?

Alternatively I could order the foam trays only and find some suitable cases locally (though these aren't cheap either). In such case, who in your opinion makes the foam trays that serve Malifaux figures the best (especially the really big 50mm models, like Nekima or the Riders)?

Thank you very much!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate,

I swear by the KR cases and use them for all my games systems (Malifaux, Warmachine, 40k)

I use a mixture of the F3H, N3H and the J2H trays to great effect. The J2 trays will hold my peacekeeper on a slightly raised resin base quite comfortably.

The trays themselves are great because of the versatility. To make it easier here is how to identify the trays as each one is a 3 digit code.

So If I take J2H

J - Represents the design. As you can see each set of foam is different wehther it is designed for small models, big models, pick and pluck etc.

This link is brilliant as it provides a print out of all their trays. Very usefull for working out how best to fit everything. as some of my stuff is large and on its side. http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/printouts.html

2 - Represents the height. In this instance it is how many high you can stack in a standard card case. In this tray you can stack 2 on top. If you have a F3H you can stack 3 etc, etc

H - Designated the width. There are 2 types. H = Half Tray & F = Full tray. I always use the Half trays as it is the most versitile option for me.

Each Card tray can hold either 2x J2 Trays or 1 J1 Tray for example. And whilst the website may be well a bit crap the guy who runs it (Daryl) is an absoloute gem. If you drop himm a direct email with your questions on the best cases and tray to use he will be more than willing to help and will email back fairly quickly. He is not like GW in the sense he will rip you off but will genuinly give you the best options to fit what you want. sales@krmulticase.co.uk or delms@krmulticase.co.uk

It is this customer service that has mate me a repeat customer.

Hope this has been of some help to you and sorry if it is a bit waffley in places. If you want anymore infor on KR then feel free to PM me.

2. What other cases do you use and recommend and why?

Alternatively I could order the foam trays only and find some suitable cases locally (though these aren't cheap either). In such case, who in your opinion makes the foam trays that serve Malifaux figures the best (especially the really big 50mm models, like Nekima or the Riders)?

Thank you very much!

I use Portable Warfare's The Sergeant. It's a bit bigger than the BF Malifaux bag, specifically in its accessories storage. If you're looking only for foam, his Blu Foam is hands down the best I've ever encountered. It's a pluck foam thatvaries in depth from 1 to 4 inches. Mentat Canis has his Nekima stored in a 4 inch foam tray, and it's working out well (he's having a couple of issues with it for other reasons). I cannot recommend the product enough.

The system IS a bit on the pricey side. This is one area that I wholeheartedly believe you get what you pay for.

http://www.portablewarfare.com/

I'll throw a vote in for both KR & Feldherr...

- I have a Feldherr mini that i use as a portable painting setup at work and i really want the next one up or another mini for transporting Malifaux

- KR cases I also swear by, having a "standard" sized Kaiser1 and a couple of extra cases for my WarmaHordes forces, the option to by half-wide foam is a god send in terms of customizing between small & large figures... A friend of mine also bought one of the tiny cases but without a hard shell of even card (though their padded materials are good) i'm not completely sold on it myself, but he is more than happy with it for not having to transport more than small minis

I'd say for the volume & versatility you seem to be after KR will be very hard to top for the cost i think

Chaos Pink is out of stock! Ouch! :(

I like the look. His budget card boxes are very similar to what I made myself. :D

The shipping is 40$ though. It's less of a restriction for US shoppers I'm sure, but 1x4", 1x3", 1x2", 2x1.5" and we're looking at ~90$ bag, 130$ with shipping.

Quality seems excellent, I wish the other manufacturers could go in KR steps and offer shipping discounts or free shipping, though. I'm not sure what the margins are and if it even is feasible, but these bags aren't exactly on the cheap side to begin with and shipping often kills the idea.

Seems like there are plenty of miniature case markers, but many have very little exposure in the community. Battlefoam is sponsoring shows left and right and I've heard about KR on the World's End Radio, but many of the makers are hard to come across, even if one tries to Google them.

Edited by Q'iq'el

I've actually been using the Battlefoam Malifaux case for a while now, and its actually pretty damn good.

Thats not to say there arent issues, but its a very good product. Just to summarise:

- cost. very expensive at $130 a pop, including shipping, its a very heavy influence on the case. shipping becomes much less of an issue if you are ordering multiple cases however.

- space. These things actually have a lot more space than you recognise at first. The standard loadout comes with 1 pick and pluck tray, 1 tray with 2"x 1.25" holes and 1 with smaller sizes.

The tray with the smaller sizes is deceptive. larger 30mm models will have trouble fitting in, but any small model on a 30mm base can fit relatively easily, sometimes with multiples in the same hole. For instance, I use that tray for my steampunk arachnids, molemen, and ice gamin, among other things. If the model is not too tall, then you can also fit larger 30mm models in as well, by standing them upright.

The pick and pluck tray may be an issue. While the system is nice, it does tend to eat up space with awkwardly shaped models. Im currently using about 2/3 of mine, and it has the following models in it: Hooded Rider conversion, Killjoy, Ice Golem, silurid (one with arm over his head), Peacekeeper, 2x sabertooth ceberus, Razorspine Rattler, Steamborg executioner, and a shikome. Many of these are custom posed, or in poses that are more awkward than usual, and so take up slightly more room than expected.

- Other storage: the case has a flip pocket on the front and a zip pocket on the back. the flip pocket is rather tight, but its good for the rules manual or one of the rulebooks. The zip pocket has 2 deck pouches, a tape measure pouch, another longer pouch (i use it to store my stat cards), as well as hooks for dry erase markers etc. This pocket is rather deep as well, large enough for me to store all of the above as well as all 3 main books. The pouches are a touch tight however.

-durability: the case has a rigid outer lining, which gives quite a bit of structure to the case as a whole.

all in all, the battlefoam case is pretty shiney, expensive, but worth it if you and one or two friends are ordering at the same time.

With regards other manufacturers: Feldherr are pretty awesome as well. one thing to be aware of though is that their cases (except for the backpack ones) are all soft cases, and so arent ideal for travel. the foam they provide in general has a good density as well. The only major gripe I have with them though is their pick and pluck foam. its not rigid enough, and it doesnt hold together all that well in the long run (I've had to reglue the foam to the baseboard twice). Despite that though, its still a good case. I was using the Feldherr Maxi for my lizardmen for quite a while.

I have a Feldherr Mini-plus, which has room for two layers of 25mm,16 mini foam (30mm bases stick out a little, but it's not a problem) and a layer of pluck stuff.

It currently holds all my Guild (Sonnia and Lad J boxes plus some other stuff, including Sonnia's avatar form), and all my showgirls (plus a set of Arachnids I originally bought to proxy Doves before they released). I have a LITTLE room left, which will mostly be taken by planned book 3/remaining book 2 purchases. Still, that will wind up being four starter boxes + other stuff, including an Avatar. Not bad at all.

I love Feldherr cases, but have also heard good things about KR. The Battlefoam case's description just screams "Way more than I will ever need" to me...the thing is way bigger than what I have.

Kind of a different spin on the subject but I put together this vid a short while ago about travelling with mini's.

[ame]

[/ame]

If you have the money, I HIGHLY recommend the Malifaux bag. Right now my Malifaux bag holds 7 crews comfortably with 90% of the bottom tray still left for avatars/ht 3 models. This is in addition to the bag being able to hold everything else necessary for 2 players (2x decks, 2 tape measures, 2 full size books + mini rulebook, pens, stat cards and my trusty Flip recorder.

The best part for me about the Malifaux bag is that it will actually fit inside of a TSA approved rollerboard along with a week's worth of clothing. That's a big deal for me!

As I frequently travel for work (Ebonstar/Malifaux coming to a town near you!) my storage needs are based around getting something that fits on a carry-on, and durable enough to survive trips.

I never tried the KR bags so I cannot comment on them. I use the GW cases for the other stuff I have and yeah, it just ends up being way too bulky.

Hey mate,

I swear by the KR cases and use them for all my games systems (Malifaux, Warmachine, 40k)

I use a mixture of the F3H, N3H and the J2H trays to great effect. The J2 trays will hold my peacekeeper on a slightly raised resin base quite comfortably.

The trays themselves are great because of the versatility. To make it easier here is how to identify the trays as each one is a 3 digit code.

So If I take J2H

J - Represents the design. As you can see each set of foam is different wehther it is designed for small models, big models, pick and pluck etc.

This link is brilliant as it provides a print out of all their trays. Very usefull for working out how best to fit everything. as some of my stuff is large and on its side. http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/printouts.html

2 - Represents the height. In this instance it is how many high you can stack in a standard card case. In this tray you can stack 2 on top. If you have a F3H you can stack 3 etc, etc

H - Designated the width. There are 2 types. H = Half Tray & F = Full tray. I always use the Half trays as it is the most versitile option for me.

Each Card tray can hold either 2x J2 Trays or 1 J1 Tray for example. And whilst the website may be well a bit crap the guy who runs it (Daryl) is an absoloute gem. If you drop himm a direct email with your questions on the best cases and tray to use he will be more than willing to help and will email back fairly quickly. He is not like GW in the sense he will rip you off but will genuinly give you the best options to fit what you want. sales@krmulticase.co.uk or delms@krmulticase.co.uk

It is this customer service that has mate me a repeat customer.

Hope this has been of some help to you and sorry if it is a bit waffley in places. If you want anymore infor on KR then feel free to PM me.

Wow thanks for the write up Monkey... you may have just sold me on a KR case. I have one of the shoulder bag/labstop styles for PW and I'm loving the thing. But for Malifaux... I just have to many freaking models for the Malifaux case from BF or even the smaller Army Transport cases! I already know my collectoin is going to nearly double in actual space consumption with all these big models coming out (like the Riders.. egads thats a lot of room gone from a Pluck Foam tray)

But I will definitly have to delve deeper into this and thanks for explaining their naming system! I was wondering what was up with it. I'll definitly have to email them and try to figure out an order etc.

I hate to impose... but can you throw up some pics of your layout and the models in the foam man? I'm very interested to see just how you got some massive models in their like the Riders, NE LCB, Snowstorm etc.

Edited by karn987

I have a Feldherr Mini-plus, which has room for two layers of 25mm,16 mini foam (30mm bases stick out a little, but it's not a problem) and a layer of pluck stuff.

It currently holds all my Guild (Sonnia and Lad J boxes plus some other stuff, including Sonnia's avatar form), and all my showgirls (plus a set of Arachnids I originally bought to proxy Doves before they released). I have a LITTLE room left, which will mostly be taken by planned book 3/remaining book 2 purchases. Still, that will wind up being four starter boxes + other stuff, including an Avatar. Not bad at all.

I love Feldherr cases, but have also heard good things about KR. The Battlefoam case's description just screams "Way more than I will ever need" to me...the thing is way bigger than what I have.

Thanks on the input on Feldherr! I had hard time finding any reviews on the net.

Could you tell me how big is the pluck foam? Is it the 60mm variant? How many 50mm based models would you say it can take?

Edited by Q'iq'el

So If I take J2H

Just a note, but "5" doesn't fit that pattern, it means 70mm or 2/3rd of the case thickness. A 5 plus a 3 will fill a case.

Note that they like giving thickness in mm, but that's internal depth, so if they say the tray is 51mm thick, you get 51mm of usable depth, but the thing actually measures ~61mm thick when trying to fit it in a box.

For reference, I have the small aluminium case, and I love it. I got a J2H, a F4H, and a 610V.

The J2H + mini rule book fill one half.

The F4H+610V slightly overfill the over half, but that keeps them under compression, which makes sure that the models stay in their slots, even when it sits in my bike-bag for a half-hour trip.

I have the 610V because I have lots of small things like loose magnetized spiders and I wanted a way to carry them.

I also grabbed a spare F3H because I thought I'd want 30mm depth for my 30mm figs, but the 23mm tray is deep enough to hold them well. They're practically swimming in the F3Hs.

Interesting thread.

After doing a comparison between the Battlefoam Malifaux bag and the Sargent Portable Warfare bag, it seems that the Portable Warfare bag is the better bang for the buck. It seems there would be more square inchage (is that even a word? ;) lol) with the Portable Warfare bag, which, cost with shipping for those of us in the US, is roughly the same as going with Battlefoam.

Seems to me that I shouldn't have an issue getting the 5 crews that I've accumulated, avatars, decks, books, and possibly all Puppet Wars stuff to fit all in the Portable Warfare bag. I really like the fact that all the trays are pluck-and-pull style for ultimate flexibility.

All that being said, I need a bag to store all my Malifaux stuff and I think I just got sold on Portable Warfare. Thanks for this thread. And thanks Ciaran. ^.^

All that being said, I need a bag to store all my Malifaux stuff and I think I just got sold on Portable Warfare. Thanks for this thread. And thanks Ciaran. ^.^

Any time! It's important to get products you're confident in, and should be happy with. I LOVE my two bags by them. They fit SO much stuff, beyond even the models.

Just a note, but "5" doesn't fit that pattern, it means 70mm or 2/3rd of the case thickness. A 5 plus a 3 will fill a case.

Note that they like giving thickness in mm, but that's internal depth, so if they say the tray is 51mm thick, you get 51mm of usable depth, but the thing actually measures ~61mm thick when trying to fit it in a box.

For reference, I have the small aluminium case, and I love it. I got a J2H, a F4H, and a 610V.

The J2H + mini rule book fill one half.

The F4H+610V slightly overfill the over half, but that keeps them under compression, which makes sure that the models stay in their slots, even when it sits in my bike-bag for a half-hour trip.

I have the 610V because I have lots of small things like loose magnetized spiders and I wanted a way to carry them.

I also grabbed a spare F3H because I thought I'd want 30mm depth for my 30mm figs, but the 23mm tray is deep enough to hold them well. They're practically swimming in the F3Hs.

Got any pics of your models in the case? About the only thing holding me back is I'm dubious on how well they will deal with the large models like the Riders, NE LCB etc and really looking for pics of them in the foam+ case.

I have been using double pistols cases for years, it is not to hard to cut the foam in them. They normally have 2 layers of thin foam that you can use under what you cut. I got mine from Dunhams, and Wal-Mart for around 20$ so you can do this on the cheap, have a good case, so you can spend more on minis. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Carl

I use the Battlefoam C216 bag which is bigger than the Malifaux bag. I can fit 54 models in the top tray (vary in size from 1x1, 1x1.5, 1x2), and the bottom can fit all my large odd shaped models. I have Snowstorm in there. If I count your total model count and how many you expect to buy. The c216 will fit you current collection, but once you have everything you you expect to buy it will run out of space. All that is if you use the pluck foam which I think is hard to find now online.

I'm looking at ordering some custom trays, and I go from 54x30mm bases to 77x30mm bases in the same tray size. Below is my layout. I play Arcanist & Outcast which is why I have so many 1x1 slots. (Gremlins and gamin). Also why most models fit in standardized slots. The extra volume is mostly because the spacing between models on pluck foam is 1/2 inch vs 1/4 inch in custom trays. A 1 inch tray with a layer of foam dividers is plenty of space for most 30mm models.

tray1.jpg

Here's some photos as requested.

galaxy727.jpg

This box has a 2/3 depth tray on the left which can take the taller models, but is maybe too deep in most cases.

galaxy725.jpg

My Guild box currently has two half depth trays on the left which seem just right. There are three 1/3 depth trays on the right.

Recently upgraded from a metal case to a backpack containing 2 card cases (plus rulebooks, tokens, cards, etc.) - I have just too many crews!

I've suggested to KR that they include photos of their trays with actual models in them, and we'll see if the new website due soon makes things easier to find/work out.

Thanks for the pictures Clousseau! The top trays in the first foto are the N size, right? They do seem a bit smallish for Malifaux, except maybe the smallest of the minis (Tots, Ice Gamins etc.).

I have a question about your plucked foam trays. I understand they easily take a standard size 50mm model like Peacekeeper or Mature Nephilim, but how about the larger stuff? The Riders or Nekima perhaps? It seems these minis (judging by printouts) wouldn't fit in a single row and would require me to lie them down and remove some of the walls...

Thanks for the pictures Clousseau! The top trays in the first foto are the N size, right? They do seem a bit smallish for Malifaux, except maybe the smallest of the minis (Tots, Ice Gamins etc.).

I have a question about your plucked foam trays. I understand they easily take a standard size 50mm model like Peacekeeper or Mature Nephilim, but how about the larger stuff? The Riders or Nekima perhaps? It seems these minis (judging by printouts) wouldn't fit in a single row and would require me to lie them down and remove some of the walls...

Seconded for this, especially for Nekima and add in the Avatars like A. Pandora who is just massive and spindly.

Thanks for the pictures though Clousseau! Gives me a great idea of what I can fit in where. Really selling me on these.

Yes, the 5 x 4 slot tray has smaller slots and I'd definitelt go with the 6 x 3 tray in future.

Haven't got those models so can't really comment. As there are different pick'n'pluck trays I'd recommend downloading the printouts and working out what you need that way. I don't plan ahead that much (and so I have rather too many 'spare' trays!).