Uses for the Nurse

demkoenig

So I know she's slow, but she's got to important in some way or another.

Here's one thing I thought of:

Nurse gives Bete Reactivate and Stimulant.

Bete Activates, gives herself Depraved Tactics and then buries.

She is buried with Reactivate and Stimulant, plus her Depraved Tactics.

Then, next turn Nurse gives Canine Remains Reactivate and Stimulant. Canine blitzes out there and does some attacks. Then, if Canine survives to Start Closing Phase, Canine is sacrificed. Bete pops out and wrecks face (with Reactivate AND Stimulant!)

What do you guys think of those tactics and what uses have you put the Nurse to?

Really, I don't find much use for Nurses, for two reasons. First they are very expensive for what they do. If we had the ability to just every single turn churn out an inexhastable supply of minions, she might have been worth it,...maybe, but we don't and we have even less ability to do it with books 2 and 3 out because of the number of models that don't give us the resources we need to even attempt this (IE living and undead models without a trait that prevents the dropping of counters). But you have to realize that her defensive abilities are also somewhat useless because in order to utilize them the targeted model needs to remain somewhat static, and in this game being static = Lose.

5 SS is alot of investment for a model that cannot easily threaten the opponent, has a downside to her healing ability, has low casting and combat, and whose buff spells not only remove the model targeted from the game after they have been used, but sacrifice them, and so we lose the Corpse Counter that they might have otherwise generated.

The nurse would be much better if they had given her Link, and if her healing ability was more in line with the Librarian's, as it stands let me ask you this:

In the example you have stated above you are looking at a multi-turn combination to set up, requiring particular cards to make work, and requiring 17SS of models. Do you feel the 17SS investment and time it will take to make the combo work is ever going to net you a return on it commensurate with the effort you put into it? What would you need to accomplish even if the combo works flawlessly to make it worth the time and effort in achieving this? Look at it another way, if you take this combination is it in anyway possible to add another 4SS worth of models and get anywhere close to the effectiveness of a Nekima + Lilitu combination, which clocks in without master of choice at 21 SS?

I submit to you that, no, is the answer to all of the above questions. However there is one use for Nurses that you haven't seen and in my opinion is the best use for them, paint them up beautifully, and make them your cheerleaders! I have them painted in Seamus's colors and they are off on the sidelines every game he comes out, flanking his avatar, helping him look even more scary cool while he waits for his chance to come smash face! They do this better than any model in the Resser line!

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you Sandwich, but why do you think the Nurse would be OP if she had Link? I thinks she'd be more useful, but I don't know if even then she would find her way into many resser lists I played using any of the masters. For 5 SS...what would make her OP?

Well the Nurse is a lot like Hamelin in that if you add anything, she's OP, if you take anything away, she's worthless.

Whereas Hamelin is the OP end of the spectrum (I am NOT saying that he is OP) the Nurse is on the worthless end.

Her buffs make her incredibly powerful but she is brought down by the fact that the model(s) being buffed must stay relatively static whilst receiving the buffs and therefore she becomes a lot less useful when you take into account that half of the Ressurectionist crews are incredibly slow.

She should be more mobile but I don't think Link is the right way to do that.

Using Link on a model such as your Master or the most fast model you have then allows her to spend ALL of her AP buffing multiple models.

While it'd be admittedly amazing,

She IS a 5 point model...

Although

Now that I think about it Link might not be too bad.

Here's one thing I thought of:

Bete Activates, gives herself Depraved Tactics and then buries.

She is buried with Reactivate and Stimulant, plus her Depraved Tactics.

Then, next turn Nurse gives Canine Remains Reactivate and Stimulant. Canine blitzes out there and does some attacks. Then, if Canine survives to Start Closing Phase, Canine is sacrificed. Bete pops out and wrecks face (with Reactivate AND Stimulant!)

You stole my idea. I posted something similar in post a while ago. :iam:I don't feel like finding it as its not under Ressurectionists.

But what you do is give the dog the unkillable one, that way it dies that turn and Bete pops out and can cast Depraved Tactics again for an additional effect, and can reek havoc paralyzing everything. Then you bury her so she isn't sacrificed. You do this with aNicodem so you always have mindless zombies to out activate your opponent, and Sebastian as a dog factory. This way when the dog dies, you don't have to worry about Bete being attacked. There is a little more too it, but that's the basic idea. And as said before, this requires a lot of successful spell casting, and I for one have never tried it in practice. I may not actually work in game.

Main use for the Nurse here is for fun and in easy games you play without caring for winning or loosing. And don't get me wrong, this is a real reason, try fielding a Nurse and you will have a more relaxed game.

Another effect the Nurse might have is that when you bring one or even two of them to a tournament or another competitive play, the other player might think that you are so extremely skilled and/or have such a dirty tactic in your sleeve that he gets distracted ;)

Maybe 4 SS would reflect the Nurse as she is now better than 5 SS...

Bete can only paralyze living models, and crews generally aren't made up by many living models any more.

That's because she applies paralyzed so easily. There's no defense from it, almost, so it is balanced by being limited. Gotta choose your target right.

Even then, Bête is a very good killer on her own.

And I believe there was a ruling by WS that a new Depraved Tactics cast will replace the old effect, rather than stack with it - so that there's only ever one active at the time. I'm not sure if the same applies to Massive Dose but I'm thinking that one too may not stack for the same reason.

The reason being that both rules say "one of the following effects", which means, if I understand correctly, that there may be only one at a time.

And I believe there was a ruling by WS that a new Depraved Tactics cast will replace the old effect, rather than stack with it - so that there's only ever one active at the time. I'm not sure if the same applies to Massive Dose but I'm thinking that one too may not stack for the same reason.

The reason being that both rules say "one of the following effects", which means, if I understand correctly, that there may be only one at a time.

No Weird Sketch say they "stack", each effect from Depraved Tactics and Massive Overdose is its own separate effect. You are not casting effects called Depraved Tactics or Massive Overdose. Therefore, they are separate and not considered to be stacking. Bete can gain all three effects, and the Nurse can give out all three effects to a single model.

I'm not sure this works, or at least works all that well.

Massive Dose sacrifices the subject, which won't activate Slow to Die. It would also stay on her until she actually was sacrificed by it - which means you'd need to actively One With the Night her each turn to keep her from being in play during the End Closing phase. So you'd be needing a 10+ every turn, plus a constant turnover of dying models to bring her back out. At least with her in play generally, you have the option of trying to keep her alive if you haven't got the 10+.

So Turn One:

Chihuahua sacrifices itself for 2 body part counters. Bete pops out.

Bete gets one Depraved Tactics (Groin Strike). Then Bete buries herself again.

Grave Spirit links to Nurse.

Dead Rider hits Nurse with Mounted Combat.

Dead Rider drags Nurse 10" up.

Grave Spirit pushes to Nurse.

McMourning moves then Scalpel Slings the Dead Rider. Then McMourning hits the Rider again. (4 body part counters).

TURN 2

Grave Spirit links to Dead Rider (or McMourning)

McMourning hits Dead Rider again then summons a Flesh Construct.

Dead Rider regenerates, and adjusts purpose to full health.

Dead Rider drags Flesh Construct into your enemy's face.

Flesh Construct activates and hopefully kills something.

Bete pops out and gains another Depraved Tactic. She either does a (1) action and bury again or uses her 2 AP, then Reactivates does 1 AP and then buries before Start Closing. (Or if you really need her to do 2 ap, kill her with something).

By Turn 2, you hopefully have a Flesh Construct, Dead Rider, and Bete Noir with CB 9 or 10 right in your opponent's face.

So Turn One:

Chihuahua sacrifices itself for 2 body part counters. Bete pops out.

Bete gets one Depraved Tactics (Groin Strike). Then Bete buries herself again.

Grave Spirit links to Nurse.

Dead Rider hits Nurse with Mounted Combat.

Dead Rider drags Nurse 10" up.

Grave Spirit pushes to Nurse.

McMourning moves then Scalpel Slings the Dead Rider. Then McMourning hits the Rider again. (4 body part counters).

TURN 2

Grave Spirit links to Dead Rider (or McMourning)

McMourning hits Dead Rider again then summons a Flesh Construct.

Dead Rider regenerates, and adjusts purpose to full health.

Dead Rider drags Flesh Construct into your enemy's face.

Flesh Construct activates and hopefully kills something.

Bete pops out and gains another Depraved Tactic. She either does a (1) action and bury again or uses her 2 AP, then Reactivates does 1 AP and then buries before Start Closing. (Or if you really need her to do 2 ap, kill her with something).

By Turn 2, you hopefully have a Flesh Construct, Dead Rider, and Bete Noir with CB 9 or 10 right in your opponent's face.

Nice! love to see another player who uses a dead rider to move his whole crew about... WIN!