The Film Remake Thread

Inspired by news that one of my favourite films is being remade - Oldboy. That's right, Spike Lee directs and Josh Brolin is in the lead role with Christian Bale as a possible villain.

So what do people think of remakes, both old and modern?

For me the rule of thumb when doing a remake is to take the basic story and then make it something completely your own - like Magnificent Seven did with Seven Samuri, The GBW did with The GBU, etc.

But the original is almost always the best - Let Me In doesn't hold a single fang to Let The Right One In and the Danish version of The Killing is so much more than it's American counterpart.

But it infuriates me when people aren't even aware of the remake, particularly with films such as the Departed - my friend thought Infernal Affairs was a remake of it, rather than the other way round. I also discover remakes I didn't know existed like an English version of the wonderful Wallander (I also prefer Krister Henriksson in the role).

But there are such things as good remakes and of course we should be aware that most films are adaptations - Oldboy was a Japanese manga, Let the Right One In a novel, etc. So to us film snobs, bookworms everywhere can easily counter that the book is always better than the film. This is mostly true, almsot always true, but then there are exceptions. I honestly believe Oldboy is so much better than the original manga and a lot of anime - particularly Studio Ghibli - are also better due to the input of genius' such as Park Chan-wook and Hayou Miyazaki. So is it just manga that can be improved upon adaptation or are there films better than novels. Personally No Country for Old Men is not far off the novel and is doen well enough to compensate the details missed out.

Anyway that's all from me, what do you think? Do you have to be a film snob to turn your nose up at remakes? Do remakes give their better originals more publicity? What films break from the norms?

It's mainly miss if it comes to hit or miss for me.

For example, Dark Water. The original Japanese version was good and so was the US remake.

The Grudge series were terrible remakes.

[REC] was so much better than the US version Quarantine. (I loooove the [REC] Series and am very excited that they announced [REC]3 :))

Yojimbo was a classic, and so is a Fist Full of Dollars. But then you get Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing and you just have to scratch your head...

I'll normally give a remake a chance. 90% of the time they're pretty bad...

I cringe when I hear of a reboot of remake of a movie. When people actually tell me that they believe the remake is better because "I don't need subtitles" it makes me want to beat them upside the head and tell them to learn to read :P

Unlike sKeTCH I don't rate eiother version of Dark Water, but then I'd already read the short story from the anthology of the same title which leaves far more mystery.

One of my main gripes with remakes is that they tend to over explain everything, as if the audience are morons. The Ring "7 days cos that's how long she lived in the well". The the Japanese movies the 7 days was left as a mystery and was only explained in the books (won't say what 7 days in case it spoils the first book for someone). Not to mention that Samara was incredibly flat whilst Sadako was a deep and harrowing character from the get go.

The only remake I admit to have enjoyed was The Eye, but the Pang brothers stayed in control of it and just took the original, added something new for the fans of the original and added western mythos. It worked like that without the whole thing being altered beyond recognition. The remake was still pants compared to its original counterpart, but it was a improvement on others I've seen.

Just please, don't get me started on Rob Zombie's Hallowe'en or the evenmore recent Friday 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street... or Ju-on/The Grudge ~shudder~

Just think, one of the reasons The Descent took so long to get a US release was because they were initially planning to remake it, same with Shaun of the Dead with that late release!

In terms of books to films, I always try to think of them as completely seperate entities.

I really loved the books of both The Road and The Lincoln Lawyer for example but I also thoughts the films were good in their own right. Tell no One was also a good film of a book. I am also looking forward to Tinker, Sailor, Soldier, Spy despite Le Carre being one of my favourite authors (although the fact Oldman will be playing Smiley has helped me maintain some optimism).

Purely in terms of film remakes I do generally find them to be either disappointing or completely unnecessary (or both), the Fog or Taxi anybody? Terribly lazy remakes. Struggling to think of a remake I have really liked but I have not yet seen Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple yet.

Also, have high hopes for the American Dragon Tattoo films after seeing the director and some of the casting choices and I enjoyed both the books and the Swedish films.

Unlike sKeTCH I don't rate eiother version of Dark Water, but then I'd already read the short story from the anthology of the same title which leaves far more mystery.

I read the story as well. ;)

One of my main gripes with remakes is that they tend to over explain everything, as if the audience are morons. The Ring "7 days cos that's how long she lived in the well". The the Japanese movies the 7 days was left as a mystery and was only explained in the books (won't say what 7 days in case it spoils the first book for someone).

Great series of novels! Same Author (Suzuki if I remember correctly) as Dark Water.

Just please, don't get me started on Rob Zombie's Hallowe'en or the evenmore recent Friday 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street... or Ju-on/The Grudge ~shudder~

If you can find the original proof cut for Rob Zombie's Halloween, you will see it as a completely different movie. And it's quite good. You actually feel sympathy for Michael in his original vision. The Director's Proof Cut was leaked onto the internet shortly before the theatrical release of it. Sadly though...The theatrical release was a travesty.

I read the story as well. ;)

Great series of novels! Same Author (Suzuki if I remember correctly) as Dark Water.

If you can find the original proof cut for Rob Zombie's Halloween, you will see it as a completely different movie. And it's quite good. You actually feel sympathy for Michael in his original vision. The Director's Proof Cut was leaked onto the internet shortly before the theatrical release of it. Sadly though...The theatrical release was a travesty.

The Dark Water book (yes, it was Suzuki Koji so well remembered my friend!) was great and had some very interesting tales in there.

The main problem for me with Zombie's Hallowe'en is that it was to long winded. To much back story and what really should have been the main part of the movie came across horribly rushed. At least to me anyway ;) I did see the proof version thanks to the internet and wasn't fond of it, in fact it was the only version I have seen. I have been told the Directors' Cut was betetr than the theatrical release, but I'd rather watch something I know I'd enjoy :)

Also, I'm sure you'll agree with me that everyone should read Ring, Spiral, Loop and Birthday by Suzuki Koji... But if people expect them to follow the original movies be in for a HUGE surprise and a serious brain melt reading Loop (some knowledge of Big Science also helps, lol!).

As for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, never been much of a Planet of the Apes fan, but it looks interesting.

Edited by LonelyPath

You should, then you should show Eric, then make outcast crew of Apes led by Caesar

GET YOUR FILTHILY HANDS OFF MY SOULSTONES YOU DAM DIRTY APE

Sorry, just had to get out of system

I think that deserves the Post Of The Day Award.. or it would if there was such a thing. Ah sod it. Chocobo, congrats on getting....

Post Of The Day!!!!

And here's your complimentary box of cookies ;)

~hands it over~

I only really know of one book to movie adaptation where the movie was hands down better than the book. Well, two, but that's just because Gone With The Wind was rather long winded so it doesn't count.

The one that I do count is The Devil Wears Prada. Oh, did the book suck. I saw the movie first, cause that's how I do things (to avoid disappointments in cases of book > movie), and the movie has a much better plot arch. It has an ending! with a point! And purpose! and all those things that matter in a story! Gah!!!! *goes nuts*

Sorry about that. That book just irks me beyond imagining.

A book that I found made a good movie was the Time Traveller's Wife. It translated the protagonist's issues well and I empathized with the wife and the husband on many occasions as well as putting an interesting spin on the whole baby issue.

A book whose movie surprised me was I Am Number Four. They managed to translate most of the book to the screen keeping it very true to the original, and yet, there seemed to be something missing. It could be the left out Henri plot, it could just be the terrible acting on John's part. Ionno. I've given up figuring that one out.

And the book to movie trend that's annoyed me the most so far? Kid's books.

Since Potter mania, they've been diving deep into the kiddy pool as it were. From Narnia to the Golden Compass to Eragon or even Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And that last one's a whole other pot of worms that I'm not going to get into because my post is already too long as it is.

So yeah.... I'm a reader and I love to compare the books and the movies. Which is really fun as a movie snob too...

The Thing is one of my favorite films. I'm a little torn about the remakequal.

The creators sound like they are taking every effort to weave this new film into the old one, but the trailer screams "stalked by monster jump scare flick" instead of "enemy waits for team to fall to infighting and paranoia".

Wait, they're remaking The Thing?

The Thing was a remake. (unless that's what you're referring to). And it's one of those I would classify as way better than the original.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

Wait, they're remaking The Thing?

The Thing was a remake. (unless that's what you're referring to). And it's one of those I would classify as way better than the original.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

Kinda. It's going to be a movie about the events that lead up to the opening of the 1981 movie.

[ame]

[/ame]

And I keep forgetting there was a previous version. Carpenter's version is definitely the better.

I am generally not a fan of remakes and always approach them with trepidation.

For example I love Nikita, but hated the US version...The assassin I think its called .

Remakes from classic TV shows often suck...Dukes, Starsky etc I'm looking at you....

However, there are a few gems as pointed out in this thread...The Thing for example.

I am already nervous now there is a remake of Fright Night....I loved the original and am in two minds whether to see the new version, though I have heard decent reviews.

And as for book to film, I have to agree that most don't translate well to the big screen, the most recent exceptions being The Lord of the Rings and the majority of the Harry potter books.

Cheesier than most of the movies mentioned in this thread so far but I preferred the remake of The Longest Yard to the original. I know, I know, an Adam Sandler film. I'll go sit in the corner.

Both Mean Machine and The Longest Yard (Sandler) were pretty good remakes, plus Sandler's had Reynolds, who was the star of the 1974 original :)

I'll likely watch The Thing, but it already strikes me as a typical modern horror, something designed to make kids jump in their seats. I love the original and Carpenter's reworking.

Personally I think the best remake of all time has to be the 1978 Invasion of the body Snatchers. When they remake or reboot films these days just just can't get it right :(