Photos to drool over

dancater

Yeah when I saw the final board I was glad about the size of the board as it means I may get my wife more into it and it does make it easier to play.

Exactly my thought. Means that its something I can pack on our vacation in two weeks and bust out easily when my son falls asleep.

Now I just need to wait for it to arrive. :)

It is a board game. The board is 12x12 folds in half to fit in the box it comes in. The really sweet thing is that ALL the supplies including models fit in the box. The models are a little tight in the box if you put all the expansions in. But, there is a foam divider that does a great job of holding the two decks and character cards separate. I would try to keep the box as level as possible to prevent the minis bouncing around too much. I will probably get a figure case eventually to better protect the few multi piece models.

The one critique I would give the game is that the models are all held to the base with very fragile post legs. So, I envision a case that has single slots for each mini being a necessity if you're going to be taking them places frequently. and capping out at 50 models currently, it'll be a pretty good sized case. also the multi piece models will need to be pinned (difficult as the limbs are thin) or handled with case once glued.

Otherwise, I love it. Spent last night assembled and priming. Hope to get some painting done this weekend.

I am a bit disappointed in the attachment to the bases. As Shadowopal said, their basing 'pins' are fragile and don't exactly fit right. Some of the pins are too long, giving the puppet a lean. Others are too fat and won't go in. And even others are too skinny and the model just falls out. I thought this was going to be for board gamers and not modelers. I have always planned to base them nicely, but after seeing them, its going to take more work than I thought. If someone with no modeling experience buys this thinking the components are simply 'snap-togethor', they are going to be very, very disappointed.

I am a bit disappointed in the attachment to the bases. As Shadowopal said, their basing 'pins' are fragile and don't exactly fit right. Some of the pins are too long, giving the puppet a lean. Others are too fat and won't go in. And even others are too skinny and the model just falls out. I thought this was going to be for board gamers and not modelers. I have always planned to base them nicely, but after seeing them, its going to take more work than I thought. If someone with no modeling experience buys this thinking the components are simply 'snap-togethor', they are going to be very, very disappointed.

Interesting.

Rumor has it that Battle Foam is going to make a Puppet Wars "toy chest" or similar type themed bag. Individula slots will be nice. If not, the KR Multicases would be excellent and affordable as well.

Interesting.

Rumor has it that Battle Foam is going to make a Puppet Wars "toy chest" or similar type themed bag. Individula slots will be nice. If not, the KR Multicases would be excellent and affordable as well.

In that same vein, and while I am 'critiquing', the box the core comes in is a huge disappointment. Its almost if they hadn't seen a board game or talked to board gamers before. Listen to the D6Generation podcast and you'll notice that box control is a big deal for board gamers. I anticipate that Wyrd is going to get slammed hard on reviews for their box. The design is ok, and they do include a foam divider (though without a bottom), so some thought went into it. But the cardboard of the box is basically the same material and thickness as crew starter boxes. When you combine this material with the size of the PW box, you'll quickly realize that the box is simply not going to hold up for very long. Even when you first get it, if you pick it up by a short end, the box bulges and bends. If you plan on using this game very much, or God forbid, take it from your house to the game store, plan on another form of storage.

Sounds like Puppet Wars is more of a hobby game(like Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, etc) and less like a true Board game.

Its what I expected but I kinda think it will turn off a market of players who don't really want to assemble miniatures to play a game.

Edited by nilus

I was interested in purchasing in October, but now maybe I'll wait and see what they do with it. I'm a boardgamer first, myself, and was looking forward to trying this.

I'll wait and see if Wyrd irons out the kinks before I participate if it's that much of a pia. Was really looking forward to adding this to my "minis light" category with Earth Reborn and Battleship Galaxies, too

Interesting.

I saw the prototype at Gencon and it was very nice. They are going to expand it so that it will hold the board, cards, counters. and models.

The board, minis, and cards are all very good quality. The cards are dry erase safe which is nice. I will agree though that the box leaves a lot to be desired. The foam insert is nice, but the card stock on the box is way too thin.

I think "minis light" is a good way to describe it. While most of the puppets are one piece that slides into the base, there are some that multiple pieces that must be assembled. I would recommend trimming the base pegs and gluing them to the base to make them secure. And of course you have to paint them, although I did see someone at Gencon just do a simple paint job of a solid color for the suit the model is attached to. Wasn't the best in the world but didn't look that bad either.

Overall I would give the following ranking:

Mini sculpts: 8.5

Game Play: 8.5

Packaging: 4

Ease of assembly: (Miniatures gamer) easy, (board gamer) above average

Yeah, I know absolutely nothing about minis. I'd be endlessly questioning you guys on WTF to do, but I was willing to give it a crack cuz the game does look awesome.

Just always leary about component quality when it hits the 60-80 dollar range :)

One should be, unless they've endless disposable income, but few people do.