A Bioshock-Themed Malifaux Blog [Warning: Game Spoilers]

Xander

Thanks guys! I am really happy with how the Big Sister turned out. It's made the whole endeavour worth while on it's own. I spent many hours on this one model, so hopefully I can do it justice when I paint it up. :)

With any luck, my Big Daddies should arrive today. My Little Sister and Fat Splicer arrived yesterday. They are a bit smaller than I was hoping, but they should work out alright. I also should be getting the remainder of my Malifaux order at my hobby shop today.

I have a feeling the Big Daddies (The Rosie [i plan to make] for sure, anyway) might also take a little while, as I really want to make them great. They are the most iconic characters in the game, so it is essential that I get them right.

Edited by Xander

I've posted update 3, I think from now on I will post it right in a new thread, and also add it to the original thread as well.

Update #3 (July 14th, 2011):

Hop hop Mr.B, there's no time to waste.

My Hard Suits arrived yesterday along with the rest of my Malifaux order (some bases and Candy). I am really impressed with the Hard Suits. They are the perfect size for this project. The Candy should work out well for a Little Sister.

I got to work on the Big Daddies right away. I will be making one Bouncer and one Rosie.

For the Bouncer, I decided I wanted to bulk up the suit a bit. Next I will be putting plasticard rod around the helmet to make it look a bit more Rosie-like. The drill-arm they supply is pretty small, so I will likely use something different. I am looking at a few ideas, and will likely choose the one I like best. I will likely be magnetizing the drill attachment for weapon-swaps. I also bent his left arm, and intend to give him a very aggressive posture: the way he looks when you get too close to a Little Sister.

For the Rosie, I had to remove the Hard Suit head - I used a small hack saw to get the job done. Next I put down the first layer of green stuff, trying to get the shape of the Helmet correct. Still lots of work to do. The little porthole on the helmet is not glued, just placed on there to visualize what it might look like. In contrast to my Bouncer, my Rosie will be in mid-walk holding the rivet gun in his right hand. Hopefully he will look very lumbering.

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_01.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_02.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_03.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_04.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_05.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_06.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_07.png

littlesister-candy_malifaux-bioshock_01.png

This looks amazing and good on ya for doing a themed crew. All of your work so far is incredibly impressive and I only have one question... where is that wrench from. I'm thinking of doing a conversion on some models from that evil corporation who sell shoulder pads and wrenches are a must.

This looks amazing and good on ya for doing a themed crew. All of your work so far is incredibly impressive and I only have one question... where is that wrench from. I'm thinking of doing a conversion on some models from that evil corporation who sell shoulder pads and wrenches are a must.

Thanks! The wrench is unfortunately not a bit, the hand and rod are from a dwarf miner, and the top (adjustable) bit is just some trimmed plastics from a Chimera (I think).

Xmortis, Stargazer - Thanks for the comments! :D

Some pics; a more thorough update coming soon. :)

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_11.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_12.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_13.png

bigdaddy-desolationengine_malifaux-bioshock_14.png

@Naravus: I will be doing some minor conversions on the Steampunk Abominations and Hollow Waifs to make them a bit more Bioshock-like. I have changed my Hollow into a Spider Splicer, for example. :) Pics soon!

@DAGabriel: Cheers! Painting will commence soon!

Thanks!

Splicer painting time will commence this evening, I should think! I'll be saving the Big Daddies, Big Sister and Jack for last. Hopefully I get into a bit of a routine before I do them.

The real question is, what colour to prime them? Black, Grey, Brown?