Rules I never knew existed

Serigala

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who learned the game from another player, and although in possession of rule books has not actually digested every single rule.

I was a bit late finding out about the Rule of Equivalency (which used to mean that a 30mm base can only generate one counter or card when it is killed) -as it had already been removed from the game before it had registered with me.

This morning I have just learnt about Drain Souls. p. 50 in the rules manual, under General Magic Actions.

(1) Drain Souls: Leaders only. Sacrifice up to three friendly models within 6"...gains one Soulstone for each model sacrificed...

That could be pretty useful.

I don't have many magic heavy Masters, but (2) Channel (just above on P.50) had also completely passed me by. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use it.

Anyway, are there any other rules that people have missed for an excessive period (I'm hoping for a list of all the other rules that I might have been ignoring).

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but those two are good ones.

I try to keep Drain Souls in the back of my head, but it hasn't seemed useful yet in my games. I played a game with Sonnia this week and totally didn't even think about Channel. D'oh! I think I should print out and laminate the rules references, as it would help me remember.

EDIT: On second thought, I had a thread a little bit ago where I re-read the Rules Manual closely after playing my first batch of games and came up with a bunch of stuff I'd missed on the first pass-through.

See it here, hopefully it's helpful!

Edited by Hansel

I've thought about using Drain Souls in combination with the 'Eye For an Eye' scheme, but I rarely take that scheme. And it only works if you have a lot more models than the other crew near the end of the game, which already means you pretty much won.

Simple vs complex duels took a while. Easiest rule of thumb is anything with a ==> is a simple duel and the acting model wins ties. Rest are complex duels where its usually forcing a duel on an opponent not on its activation and caster wins the ties.

A lot of Pandoras abilities are simple duels so if fighting her you win ties..

Simple vs complex duels took a while. Easiest rule of thumb is anything with a ==> is a simple duel and the acting model wins ties. Rest are complex duels where its usually forcing a duel on an opponent not on its activation and caster wins the ties.

A lot of Pandoras abilities are simple duels so if fighting her you win ties..

Eh... Sorry, but sounds like you're misunderstanding the whole concept here..

Simple duels are when only one player flips a card and attempts to beat a set value.

Opposed (not complex) duels are when both players flip cards and attempt to beat the other players flipped card + stat.

Draws determined by which model is the acting one..

Resist duels being the only exception here as they're essentially simple duels, but you lose ties..

Edit:

All Pandoras Wp->Wp duels are opposed duels...

Edited by Wodschow

No they are not... I don't have the book in front of me, but if you need to attack her she does a flip, set a difficulty, then you need to beat it. Not a complex duel. Spent 30 minutes just going over this with a pandora player, who convinced me it was easier than I thought. The rest of hers is a normal spell ability.

Basically its the acting player who gets to break ties. If not sure ask in the rules section.

If you target her you must do a WP -> WP duel. This plays out exactly the same as a CB -> DF duel for a strike. Pandora doesn't get to set a total for you to beat. In the case of Pandora, since you're trying to attack through her ability, you would win ties.

It may be that your Pandora playing friend has misunderstood something if he's setting a target number for you to beat.

Mike

... If not sure ask in the rules section.

Heh, sorry.. But I am sure..

Expose Fears is an opposed Wp->Wp duel, ties won by the attacker.

Incite/Pacify are both opposed Wp->Wp duels, ties won by Pandora.

If your Pandora friend plays it in a different way then he's giving himself a disadvantage.. (Edit: By having to cheat his flip before knowing whether he'd actually beat his opponent with it.)

Edited by Wodschow
said something weird..

Heh, sorry.. But I am sure..

Expose Fears is an opposed Wp->Wp duel, ties won by the attacker.

Incite/Pacify are both opposed Wp->Wp duels, ties won by Pandora.

If your Pandora friend plays it in a different way then he's giving himself a disadvantage.. (Edit: By having to cheat his flip before knowing whether he'd actually beat his opponent with it.)

well i am sure you are right :)

expose fear is an strong version of terrifying. pandora sets the wp and you have to beat it, meaning in a tie, attacker wins,

incite as an attack, so in a tie, pandoras wins.

it's not that difficult, is it?

edit: the above with expose fear was to make it easier to understand :)

Edited by sephiroa

Simple Duels are where a number must be met.

Opposed Duels are where 2 stats are used.

In Pandora's case, a model attempting to attack her must tie or beat her total, which can be changed as is normal for an Opposed Duel. [Aka, both flip initial, loser cheats first, then the other player.]

There were a few intricacies of rules I was surprised to learn:

-You measure the range of a spell before paying its casting cost

-You can announce schemes after deployment

-When something says "within 6 inches" as long as some part of the base is within 6 inches, you can place most of it beyond the 6 inch mark

-The blast marker rulings! This one took awhile to get used to since most games I've played before place the blast marker centered on the model you've targeted (assuming a direct hit). In Malifaux, it's similar to the "within 6 inches" ruling. As long as a tiny part of the blast marker touches the target model's base, it counts as a full damage direct hit. In most other games having a blast marker partially cover a model would imply an indirect blast.

Wow, didn't know that. I believe you, but you got a reference for that for when people don't believe me! :D

It's pretty simple actually. It's the difference between 'within' vs 'completely within'. Don't have my rules manual on me at the moment, but there's a page in the first 20 pages or so that explains the difference with a diagram.

There were a few intricacies of rules I was surprised to learn:

-You measure the range of a spell before paying its casting cost

That is not 100% right, is it? You may avoid paying the costs which are part of the spell effect (you avoid paying them if you fail to meet CC or any other of the spell requirements too), but you have to pay AP for the cast action as soon as you find you have LoS to the target.

Declare target -> check Los -> do the action (AP cost) -> measure distance -> duel (beat CC) -> other requirements (discarding SS or cards, having enough space to place or summon etc.) -> execute effects which amount to additional costs (discard cards etc.) -> [optional resist duel] -> execute effects applying to the target.

If you fail at any of the stages, you end up paying everything up to this stage.

Edited by Q'iq'el

That is not 100% right' date=' is it? You may avoid paying the costs which are part of the spell effect (you avoid paying them if you fail to meet CC or any other of the spell requirements too), but you have to pay AP for the [b']cast action as soon as you find you have LoS to the target.

Declare target -> check Los -> do the action (AP cost) -> measure distance -> duel (beat CC) -> other requirements (discarding SS or cards, having enough space to place or summon etc.) -> execute effects which amount to additional costs (discard cards etc.) -> [optional resist duel] -> execute effects applying to the target.

If you fail at any of the stages, you end up paying everything up to this stage.

I have to agree with you here Q'iq'el you still spend the AP.